Any Zune owners out there?
Nov 29, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #241 of 390
I'm a recent Zune convert as well. The thing is amazingly good and handedly beats the iPod. The only drawback I'm finding is the battery life kinda sucks.

As for the EQ, I never bothered with it on the iPod so I don't miss it on the Zune. Besides, I prefer to listen to the music 'au naturel', the way the sound engineer intended for it to be heard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #242 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. Besides, I prefer to listen to the music 'au naturel', the way the sound engineer intended for it to be heard.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is like saying that all engineers are perfect and all hearphones, audio equipment, and human hearing sound exactly the same. Which of coarse makes no sense.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #243 of 390
Okay. I see what you did there. Skip the sound engineer part of it then. I still prefer music playback sans EQ.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #244 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. I see what you did there. Skip the sound engineer part of it then. I still prefer music playback sans EQ.

That's cool but if the newer zune had an EQ you could simply turn it off if you wanted to. For me they lost out on a sale because of it and I have now upgraded the hard drive in my old zune. MS could have avoided that scenario by simply not removing audio features on an audio device.

Newer devices should have more features not less features.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #245 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newer devices should have more features not less features.

They improved the hardware so they have better sound quality, and they can't put in an equalizer due to taking out that part of the hardware to make for better sq.

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #246 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by PepsiCo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They improved the hardware so they have better sound quality, and they can't put in an equalizer due to taking out that part of the hardware to make for better sq.

I beg to differ my zune30 with the EQ turned off sounds just like the new zune 8Gb flash I bought my wife. While that may have been their reasoning as you stated, in the real world it did not make a difference and it left the newer zunes with even less audio customization features.

I think the newer zunes are pretty much the only major PMP without ANY audio customization features.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #247 of 390
Quote:

I beg to differ my zune30 with the EQ turned off sounds just like the new zune 8Gb flash I bought my wife. While that may have been their reasoning as you stated, in the real world it did not make a difference and it left the newer zunes with even less audio customization features.

I think the newer zunes are pretty much the only major PMP without ANY audio customization features.

I've read reviews that the Zune 8Gb flash doesn't sound as good the Zune 80/120, haven't heard myself though. I also have the 1st gen Zune, love the build material, and double shot. I usually have it on the electronic EQ setting as it seems to bring out the treble, do you use any sort of EQ?

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #248 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read reviews that the Zune 8Gb flash doesn't sound as good the Zune 80/120, haven't heard myself though. I also have the 1st gen Zune, love the build material, and double shot. I usually have it on the electronic EQ setting as it seems to bring out the treble, do you use any sort of EQ?

I use the acoustic setting on my Zune, bumps up bass a bit and evens out the mids and highs. I'm glad the older zunes at least have something for us that like to change the sound a bit.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #249 of 390
Quote:

I use the acoustic setting on my Zune, bumps up bass a bit and evens out the mids and highs. I'm glad the older zunes at least have something for us that like to change the sound a bit.

I too use the acoustic EQ setting on my 30GB Zune. EQ was the reason I upgraded the drive in mine, too, rather than purchasing a newer, larger capacity Zune. IMO, no EQ=mistake on the part of MS, and no amount of disagreement by others will change my opinion.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #250 of 390
Just wondering, if the reason you kept your old Zune was to have the acoustic setting on the EQ wich give slightly more bass, why don't you get earphones with stronger bass instead?

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #251 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, if the reason you kept your old Zune was to have the acoustic setting on the EQ wich give slightly more bass, why don't you get earphones with stronger bass instead?

I pretty much have IEM's with the strongest bass, super.fi 5EB's. And they still sound flat on the new 8GB zune without EQ compared to my Zune 30 using the acoustic setting. Regardless of what earphones I use the music still sounds better with the ability to use an EQ setting.

At this point it would be a step down for me sound wise to move to one of the new zune's. I'd rather stick with what works for me.

If a new zune comes out with an EQ I will buy one opening day. I love the software, i love the zune pass feature and the other feautres. Lack of EQ is a deal breaker though.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #252 of 390
Just got a used 1st gen 30GB Zune, swapped the HDD to a 160GB model. So far I'm loving it a lot. And the low price of $63 was the best part! Man it sounds better than an Ipod IMHO.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #253 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a used 1st gen 30GB Zune, swapped the HDD to a 160GB model. So far I'm loving it a lot. And the low price of $63 was the best part! Man it sounds better than an Ipod IMHO.

Sounds great. Where did you get the hard drive? expensive?

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #254 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What Model of Harddrive did you use? I was told the 120GB was the biggest that would work and properly fit in a zune30.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #255 of 390
Quote:

What Model of Harddrive did you use? I was told the 120GB was the biggest that would work and properly fit in a zune30.

As long as the HDD is 5mm thick it will fit. The HDD in the Zune 30 is 5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back