Any Zune owners out there?
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #211 of 390
I was talking about Zune.net when saying it was their first source of customer feedback. Maybe I didn't phrase my toughts correctly...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #212 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking about Zune.net when saying it was their first source of customer feedback. Maybe I didn't phrase my toughts correctly...
smily_headphones1.gif

OOPS, my bad!!! No intention of a flame war myself. Besides, I should leave a comment or 2 myself. We all have to stick together on this.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #213 of 390
Well, the search goes on and my wallet takes another hit . . .

You can tell I haven’t been on this board very long because I foolishly thought I’d be able to enjoy two DAPs with just one pair of phones. Heh, silly rabbit!

I’ve had my Klipsch X5s for about a week now as I was looking for an upgrade to pair up with my Zune and my new Fuze. Well, for the Zune, the search continues. I've never had a problem with the Zune and the lack of an EQ. It has a great sound in my opinion. But, with the X5s, it’s too . . . light, too . . . Sorry. This is where I really show my lack of vocabulary for what makes total sense in my head.
redface.gif

Now, I realize that this could be a number of factors. I’m only listening @ 320. I do listen to way too many bootlegs rather than the official stuff but in my opinion a lot of great Beatles material just isn’t found anywhere else. Also, just coming from the CX300s, it’s possible my ears are just so accustomed to the heavily saturated bass that I’m just not hearing it with the X5s.

And yet, I’m starting to think my Fuze might have a new permanent attachment. I love the sound I get with it and my X5s. I just wish my Zune could join in the fun.
frown.gif

Ah well, the search continues . . .

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #214 of 390
I grudgingly went from a Rio Karma to an iPod 80GB Classic last year because (1) Rio drive was dying, (2) iPod finally had gapless, (3) nobody yet had stepped up to making a good large player.

I bought a Zune 120GB a week ago and _really_ wanted to like it.

Pro:
- Better overall SQ than iPod. Deeper and wider soundstage...

Big Cons:
- Very noticeable disk drive noise through IEM (530's) when fast forwarding in a song, and skipping to next song. This was a deal-breaker for me.
- Didn't do gapless as well as iPod. Noticed on David Gilmour "Live at Dansk" and Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" and others. Big problem for me.
- Zune locked up once on second listening session.

Small Cons:
- Zune thicker and plain looking. Felt cheap - wondered how long "silk-screened on plastic" logo and such on back would last.
- Zune screen physically larger but relatively low resolution, so looked grainy to me. (I use a PMP - an Archos 605 - for video, so care more for crisp rather than large DAP screen).

In spite of all the cons, I struggled for the whole week trying to like the Zune more, but just couldn't. I would have _loved_ to replace the iPod, but the Zune is unfortunately not the device.

I'll miss the Zune SQ, so will try a headphone amp on line-out on the iPod until something better comes along.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #215 of 390
To eliminate one of your big cons, I'd suggest an amp out of the phone jack to eliminate the drive noise. I know that theorically the noise will still be there but cranking up your zune sound to let the amp manage sound level will overwhelm any hissing from the HDD.

I have the SE530 too and was also bothered by that hissing at the begining and end of any tune. Amping the zune killed that hissing and slightly increased the soundstage.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #216 of 390
Quote:

To eliminate one of your big cons, I'd suggest an amp out of the phone jack to eliminate the drive noise. I know that theorically the noise will still be there but cranking up your zune sound to let the amp manage sound level will overwhelm any hissing from the HDD.

I have the SE530 too and was also bothered by that hissing at the begining and end of any tune. Amping the zune killed that hissing and slightly increased the soundstage.

I agree with this. Had some hissing with Super.fi 3s. But now I use a Rockhopper in conjunction with upping the zune gain. Not ideal, but does the job.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #217 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS should have put a dedicated power switch on the player, or at the least have the feature where, after say 5min, the player shuts completely OFF. Not goes to sleep, it shuts off to save battery power.

Press down and hold simultaneously the down (touchpad) and back buttons to power off the Zune completely. It's what I do when I'm not going to be using the player for long.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #218 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Press down and hold simultaneously the down (touchpad) and back buttons to power off the Zune completely. It's what I do when I'm not going to be using the player for long.

You can also force the sleep mode while holding the play button but I think it is common knowledge and I'm writing this down for absolutely nothing...
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #219 of 390
Quote:

You can also force the sleep mode while holding the play button but I think it is common knowledge and I'm writing this down for absolutely nothing...
tongue.gif

Down + back shuts off the Zune completely, it doesn't put it into sleep mode. After it switches off, when you press play again, it boots from the start-up screen.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #220 of 390
zune software updates are online

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #221 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Down + back shuts off the Zune completely, it doesn't put it into sleep mode. After it switches off, when you press play again, it boots from the start-up screen.

I knew that already, I just wanted to add a workaround for temporary pauses.
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #222 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by I)enial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the search goes on and my wallet takes another hit . . .

You can tell I haven’t been on this board very long because I foolishly thought I’d be able to enjoy two DAPs with just one pair of phones. Heh, silly rabbit!

ahh the power of suggestion

do you know what the more headphones you own, the happier you will be?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #225 of 390
^^ Start screaming louder at Zune.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back