Any word on sennheiser IE6 IE7 or IE8 yet?
May 15, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #31 of 39
Has anybody actually bought an IE6/IE7 yet?

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #32 of 39
BUMP.

Anyone heard anything? What's going on Sennheiser, you just keep passing your target dates? Quality control or sound problems like the Westone 3s?

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 39
-- Oops, nevermind...wrong thread.
redface.gif
--

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #34 of 39
I just red review about CX6 sound quality and looks like these three models willbe for those who don't want to miss details in their music with great bass extention.

"Sound reproduction is some of the best you will hear. Do not let the small size fool you as they will produce great sound through a wide spectrum, which will thrill almost anyone who puts them on. Powerful bass reproduction is something that Sennheiser is known for and the CX6 will not let you down in that area either. The ear-canal headphone is outfitted with a 1/8" jack for connection to different mobile multimedia players and it works perfectly with the in-flight systems that are on most airplanes, which is a nice added touch that you will not have to worry about. With the adapter that is included with the CX6 almost any type of electronic device sounds good from smart phone to MP3 player and everything in-between. This is something that Sennheiser products have been known for."

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #35 of 39
I listened to the IE7s at the Fort Lauderdale meet a few months ago. Comparing it to my UM2s, I found them to be more comfortable and they have better isolation. I also liked the Sennheiser signature, but with a 10 minute A/B session that took place a few months ago, I don't remember what it was that sounded better. All I know is that I loved them so much that I placed an order at fullcompass.com for $222 that night (which was cancelled a month later due to back-order).

I see the IE6s are available and in stock at RoadDogOnline, but the price is higher than I'm willing to pay and I didn't even listen to the IE6.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 39
I think that the sound signature that you might be referring to smoka is probably due to them being dynamic rather than being armature based. The sound stage is generally (from my experience) much wider with high quality dynamics which gives a very airy feel to the sound while armatures tend to sound more direct. I am indeed very curious about the Senneheiser's IE series, particularly the IE 7s and the IE 8s with adjustable the bass port. Currently my favourite in-ears are the Sony EX700s which sound remarkably close to high quality full sized closed back phones (they are not anywhere near the sound of very very airy sounding open backed phones such as the Grados line though).

Let's put it this way, since my Ultrasone Pro 650s have been sent off for repair to Ultrasone and both my HD595 and Ultrasone Proline 2500 are at my office (the phones I have not placed in storage and thus actively use) I have been using in-ears with my JVC Dolby headphones decoder box, the only pair that actually works well and produces a 5.1 positional sound relatively well have been my EX700s. Definitely not going to replace my Pro 650s any time soon but for the interim, they work well.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #37 of 39
Have only had a couple of hours listening to the pair that were delivered earlier today, so far not disappointed, but not blown away either.

This isn't an attempt at a full review, I'll leave that to more capable posters, just a few comments.

Packaging - very nice looking but a bit too clever in that it would benefit from opening instructions on the outside.

Carry case - probably in the same category as the packaging, looks great but may not prove too practical in the long run.

Comfort - good, but I could only get the larger foam tips to seal and they didn't pass my yawn test (do they still seal when I yawn?) so I swapped them for the same Comply tips I use on my Triple Fi's. Otherwise fine though.

Ear loops - I think I will lose these soon as they don't grip the wire very well and are bound to fall off. I know that many posters don't like memory wire but in this case I think it would be a better option. It may be that with some further use I'm proved wrong, I hope so anyway.

Sound quality - I love my HD 650's and was hoping for a portable equivalent so took the plunge and bought the IE 8's before reading a review, something I don't often do. In reality I didn't expect true equivalence, just more than I get from the IEM's I own at the moment (ER-4P, Triple Fi, and UM2) and I'm not sure that I'm getting that, but it's early days. I'm a believer in both burn in, and as these are dynamics there should be some, and in the user adjusting to the sound over a period of time. With regard to the latter, switching from the UM2's to the ER-4P's the sound is initially very thin and almost unbearable but after a few minutes their strengths start to shine through (there isn't a 'faster' IEM on the market IMHO) and their weaknesses don't seem to be there any more. So in the case of the IE 8 I'm hoping a combination of the two work some magic and I find myself won over by them.

To describe the sound, nothing stands out, which is probably a good thing, bass is full (at the lowest setting), treble is definitely there but not as noticeable as the triples or ER-4P but better than the UM2's, and the mids sound nice, but vocals don't seem as good as the UM2's. Soundstage seems very wide though, and placement is nice.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive but at the moment the Triples sound significantly better to my ears, as do the HD 650's (probably a dumb remark).

When I get time I'll post an update but it probably won't be 'til next week as I'm snowed under with work and can't do much listening, but will burn them in.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #39 of 39
Anyone know of a review comparing the IE6 to IE7 to IE8? I found the IE6 for about 160$ USD. I hope that the improvement in sound is very minimal from IE6-IE8. I know for sure that the IE8 reaches the 20k freq. Whereas, the IE6 only goes up to 18k freq. For the price, I am willing to sacrifice some freq.

The bass adjusting I do not really care about on the IE8. It just seems that the IE8 is more expansive because it is much tunable/customizable for audiophiles. I am more casual than audiophile, at least at this moment in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back