any vintages around?
Aug 13, 2007 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

fuzzy fuzzbucket

Head-Fier
hi all! share your story with vintage items you own. any vintage item. do not have to be an audio gadget.
rs1smile.gif

index.php

i use this Sansui A-80 for a while now. and WOW haha... its not my photography though
frown.gif
just get the idea. when for a search on the net for the best photo of it. mine a black version... yah, and add pic if u can
rs1smile.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 63
I got lucky on Craig's List and bought some Canton CT-1000 speakers on Friday. They are FANTASTIC - like nothing I have ever heard before. They were a little beat up, but nothing serious. I spent the afternoon sanding away the trouble and they look basically brand new. I will use a little mineral spirits during the week and stain them next weekend. It is the most "live" sound I have evr heard. My daughter walked in and said "Daddy it sounds like Billy Joel is playing his piano in your office".

And to keep the vintage theme.... I am trying out a couple amps and one is a Nikko NA-790 that I bought on Ebay. Quite nice with a stellar hp jack to boot.

And no threadjack intended, but does any vintage afficianado know how to clean up the innards of the speaker - just dusty - nothing at all too severe. And is there anything to do or apply to the moving parts to assure them a nice long life? Thanks.

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 63
I restored my Leak stereo 20 and use an Eico HF90A tuner (mono valve tuner - no pictures ) I had 2 Garrard turntables which I was refurbishing but left them behind when I moved recently - sometimes you just have to purge..dB

Images of the LEAK 1. 2.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about an Acoustic Research ES-1 with an upgraded RB250 and being powered by a Marantz 2226B ...
biggrin.gif

That looks very nice
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 63
oh my... you restored a 1958 machine!!! wow haha... and the interior was really fuzzy and you made it better... i thought of rewiring my amp too. but havent got the time yet and i have any schematics should anything go wrong.

the overall view and the input stage.. darn messy wirings...

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got lucky on Craig's List and bought some Canton CT-1000 speakers on Friday. They are FANTASTIC - like nothing I have ever heard before. They were a little beat up, but nothing serious. I spent the afternoon sanding away the trouble and they look basically brand new. I will use a little mineral spirits during the week and stain them next weekend. It is the most "live" sound I have evr heard. My daughter walked in and said "Daddy it sounds like Billy Joel is playing his piano in your office".

And to keep the vintage theme.... I am trying out a couple amps and one is a Nikko NA-790 that I bought on Ebay. Quite nice with a stellar hp jack to boot.

And no threadjack intended, but does any vintage afficianado know how to clean up the innards of the speaker - just dusty - nothing at all too severe. And is there anything to do or apply to the moving parts to assure them a nice long life? Thanks.

For speakers, the only parts that usually go bad are surround and electrolytic capacitor in the crossover. They're not too difficult to fix though.

Back to the thread. Since I am pretty vintage myself, so most of stuff I owned are vintage. I haven't sold any of my equipment. So I still have my ADS speaker from the 70s, 80s' Timewindows, and 90s' NHT. Of course, I still have my monster Yamaha Receiver. Recently, I just acquired a Nakamichi receiver with STASIS. Incredible headphone output. I think the headphone out of the vintage amp/receiver are very much underrated.

Of course, I would not recommend anyone to go out and buy vintage stuff. Because typically they usually need work. I have to work on my own vintage stuff once in awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back