Any V-Shaped 'Fun' Sound Signature Headphone Recommendations?
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tlite

Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations!
  • Used or new.
  • Trying to stay under $1k.
  • Thumpy Sub bass and clean sparkly treble without muddy mids.
  • Good for Hip-Hop, Electronic, and Stoner Metal/Rock (though I expect mud in stoner rock- it's pretty much all mud)
  • Audiophile-ish but fun sounding. Not looking for neutral.
  • From a fatigue tolerance standpoint, typical listening time is 45 minutes to an hour or so. I rarely listen more than 90 minutes without a break.
  • Prefer not to have to rely on a PC to EQ- I know that makes it easier to get the sound, but want to plug n' play more easily.

FWIW I currently have:
Hifiman Sundaras
Sennheiser HD6XX

Just traded:
Audeze LCD-2C (I was hoping that would fit the bill, but I found the midrange muddy without EQ).

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 34
Well, there's always the Fidelio X2's. I personally listen to a hella lot Meta, and specifically when it comes to Stoner, Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull" is a true joy to experience with them.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 34
Never heard of those. I’ll check ‘‘em out!

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 34
Why not just grab a DT770 8o ohm? Should fit the bill pretty good. Can be found pretty cheap online, under $130-150.
Or DT990 is you prefer open

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 34
Why not just grab a DT770 8o ohm? Should fit the bill pretty good. Can be found pretty cheap online, under $130-150.
Or DT990 is you prefer open
Thanks- I'd be going closed back for these as trying to keep noise bleed to a minimum. I hadn't considered these as they are marketed as a mixing and mastering headphone. I forgot to mention but I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's that I use for that purpose.

The Sony's great for mixing but those wouldn't be my go-to for fun/enjoyment/casual listening. I perhaps mistakenly figured most studio and mixing headphones would be similarly voiced. I will do some research but you think the DT 770 would still fit the sound I'm looking for pretty well? If you're familiar, do you think they're sufficiently different from the Sony MDR-7506's? Thx!

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 34
Beyer DT-880 32r or if you have a high powered amp then the 600r. i have a Schiit Asgard 3 and i have to turn the volume up to 3oclock on the 600r.

if you want mega bass then buy a pair of DT-770 ear pads and put them on the 880's. if you want to thump your brains out then put the pleather pads from the Custom One Pro on the 880's

there is also the TYGR 300.

unless you like peaky treble then stay away from the 770/990.

pretty much any Beyer "DT" line of headphones can sound different by changing out the ear pads and foam discs.. its endless hours of fun :)

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 34
You could pick up a used pair of Fostex TH900s for under $1,000, or used pair of the Massdrop TH-X00s for even less, those would fit the bill really well.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 34
You could pick up a used pair of Fostex TH900s for under $1,000, or used pair of the Massdrop TH-X00s for even less, those would fit the bill really well.
Interesting you suggested these as I just yesterday was searching eBay and spur of the moment bid on some Fostex x00’s (Ebony version) and they’re on the way!

I really want to try all this stuff. Cool that there are good affordable options out there that take mods well!

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 34
Interesting you suggested these as I just yesterday was searching eBay and spur of the moment bid on some Fostex x00’s (Ebony version) and they’re on the way!

I really want to try all this stuff. Cool that there are good affordable options out there that take mods well!
I had the TH-X00 Ebonies and really enjoyed them. I ended up selling them, regret it a bit, but I'm mostly into heavily EQ'd planars these days. I would recommend looking into some Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for them (non-perforated) I did that to mine and they didn't change the sound in any way I noticed but did make them much more comfortable. The pleather that Fostex uses by default on those feel absolutely awful against your skin.

Feb 27, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 34
You could always check out some of Denon's offerings, such as the AH-D7200, which isn't super V-shaped, but still is somewhat. Otherwise I would definitely go with Fostex TH-X00s, like has already been recommended.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 34

If those don't work out for you, and you decide you want something a little less V shaped, check out the E-mu Teak.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 34
I would have suggested the LCD-2C. But if you didn't like those and want less muddy, you might want to check out the DT1770 or the Focal Clear OG/MG used.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 34
If those don't work out for you, and you decide you want something a little less V shaped, check out the E-mu Teak.
Nice! Will do. I saw those while researching the X00s and was wondering about them. Admittedly, at least in part because they look awesome…

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 34
I would have suggested the LCD-2C. But if you didn't like those and want less muddy, you might want to check out the DT1770 or the Focal Clear OG/MG used.
Cool! I thought the LCD-2C would be it as well and there was a lot I liked about them. I just couldn’t quite get past What to my ears sounded like muddy mids. But again overall they were in the wheelhouse for sure. EQ’d they sounded really good.

Trying the Fostex X00’s first since already pulled the trigger (not here yet).

Despite brand recognition I know nothing about Focals. Thought they would be a neutral profile but I’ll read up on the Clears.

Also, since you recommended the DT1770… any thoughts on the DT770 80 ohm also recommended earlier in the thread? I keep thinking mixing headphones aren’t what I’m after but seems like the Beyerdynamics are definitely being highly recommended!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back