Any Used Front Panel Express for Entire Case?
Dec 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AndrewFischer

500+ Head-Fier
The latest version of Front Panel Designer supports making an entire enclosure, not just a front panel. While that has always been possible, FPE now supply all the hardware to make a complete case. There are two case options, one uses extruded aluminum ends to make a case much like a Hammond 1455 series. The other has slide in sides.

The advantage over starting with a Hammond case is that you can make a custom size.

Has anyone done this yet? I'm thinking about making one to case up my still incomplete Aikido amp.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 27
Really, it does that now...Sweet, I might have to try that. I've thought about using FPE for full cases in the past, but stopped just short of ordering...I'm definitely going to check this out and will probably order at least one within the next month if it looks good. Thanks for the update on their new software.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 27
Don't mean to make this a support thread, but...I just downloaded the new software and don't see options for a case anywhere. I'm familiar with the old software and am not seeing any difference.

How do you access the case design function?

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 27
I started looking into it the other day when I got an email from FPE about the software update. I have several concerns and questions about the "whole chassis" option but I'll probably give it a try w/ an upcoming project that was going to require a front panel anyway.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you access the case design function?

There is an Acrobat file in the support area.

You have make the case panels and then order their hardware. It won't put the case together for you. :dunno: I've read the file, but haven't tried it yet.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/fil...mblymanual.pdf

The manual has part numbers for "side profiles" that connect the flat panels. There are also part numbers for Assembly kits. Open the Order Program. Pull down the Insert Menu, Choose Add Items. From there you can add the profiles and hardware kits. Prices aren't too bad but it is going to cost more than using a 1455 case and replacing the panels. There are quantity price breaks too.

I'll try playing with it tonight.

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 27
one thing that's not clear to me, what's the largest enclosure you can build?
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thing that's not clear to me, what's the largest enclosure you can build?
confused.gif

Bigger than anything I'd ever need.

The profiles can be up to 1 meter long.

You could make a 19" rack case 39" deep and how ever many units tall you need. For something that huge, the real limit may be the structural strength of the case or the depth of your wallet. There are some brackets for enclosures over 150mm wide. I doubt they'd be enough for 6U tall x 39" deep case stuffed full of parts.

Maximum panel thickness is 4mm.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 27
I can't seem to find any information on how to select the various side panels and add them to the order. Am I just daft or is this setup as poorly as it seems?

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 27
EDIT: I had the price wrong.

Ok, I fiddled with it tonight and to order a case that's the following:

Height: 56mm (Side Profile 2 option)
Width: 123mm
Depth: 108mm

Includes front/back panels with no holes except for screws holes for assembling the case and just the words "Rockhopper Audio" and CKKIII on the front panel will cost: $136.10

You need to configure each part. Front and back panels, top and bottom and add the side panels accordingly.

You add the side panels after you've done the top and bottom and front and back and sent them to the Order panels program. Then you hit the Insert menu and the Add Items command and choose which side panels and screw hardware you want.

I bit pricey for a CKKIII case (what I was configuring it for). But still, a nice option if you want to add holes and such on your top and bottom panels as well as front and back. You could go this route and never have to drill panel holes ever again. You would be hard pressed to find a machine shop that will do a one-off case for you like this for that price.

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to configure each part. Front and back panels, top and bottom and add the side panels accordingly.

(with side profile 2) ... If the top/bottom is thicker than 1.5mm, do you have to manually add the cavity for the side fit groove, or do you just specify the total usable outside dimension and configure it with holes, etc. and FPE will calculate the grove dimension so that the case will fit together?

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 27
Does anyone know a workaround for sending a design to FPE without their software? I like their work, but do not want to run Windows if I can help it. I use Mac and Linux, though.

This is a great thing for the DIY set. I think it would be great if FPE files were available for amps. If you could simply download those and get a pre-drilled case that fits the boards perfectly, that would be amazing. You'd be able to knock off an amp in a few evenings, with no misaligned holes or not-quite-perfect paint jobs.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(with side profile 2) ... If the top/bottom is thicker than 1.5mm, do you have to manually add the cavity for the side fit groove, or do you just specify the total usable outside dimension and configure it with holes, etc. and FPE will calculate the grove dimension so that the case will fit together?

Yes you have to configure the top and bottom panels fully. If you look at the instructional PDF they have on their site, it gives you all the measurements for things based on the size of the front and side panels. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

The easy way is to just specify 1.5mm top and bottom panels and not worry about the grooves (adding that groove costs money too). The downside to that is the top of your case won't be flush with the side panels since the top and bottom slide into the side panel top and bottom grooves.

So you have to do the groove thing on your top and bottom panels if you want things to be flush. I guess it's easier for the this way otherwise there would have to be a set supplyof certain sized top and bottom panels made via an extrusion (like hammond does). This way you get the most width/depth choice possible. You only have to work within the restriction for the side panel heights.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know a workaround for sending a design to FPE without their software? I like their work, but do not want to run Windows if I can help it. I use Mac and Linux, though.

This is a great thing for the DIY set. I think it would be great if FPE files were available for amps. If you could simply download those and get a pre-drilled case that fits the boards perfectly, that would be amazing. You'd be able to knock off an amp in a few evenings, with no misaligned holes or not-quite-perfect paint jobs.

I run Mac OS 10.3.X and use Virtual PC (I've got a power PC G4 processor). If you have a newer mac I think you can bot to windows via their Boot camp function/program. Then you would just need a copy of windows. Perhaps we should contact FPE and see if they can compile their program for MAC, since it's a little easier now that Macs run on Intel processors. Of course most of their customers probably use PCs anyway so it might not be financially feasible for them.

It's a good idea, but then people might want to add/subtract things and of course there would need to be some consensus on how to configure the cases. If people could come to some sort of agreement on front and back panels then a group buy would be good. I looked at pricing for large runs of the case I configured...you need to buy 100 cases to get the price to ~$96 a case.

At the very least basic parameters could be set and people could then go in and alter the panels to suit their needs (add holes/text....etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back