Any Tube Amp/dac combo?
Apr 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Amatsu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I need both a DAC and an amplifier for my Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohm (old version). I read that a tube amp would be a good choice for these cans so I was wondering if there is a combo with all that, a tube amp/dac and also it needs to have coaxial in. I can only spend around 200$ or less at the moment, if it's not possible, then I would just buy an amplifier until I can afford a separate DAC, unless I can buy both with that budget. I'm using a Creative X-Fi sound card at the moment.

If it matters, I use the headphones for videogames and rock/metal music 50/50.

If I have to purchase just an amp I'll probably try to find a Little Dot III used or similar. What do you think? Thank you.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Go with just the amp now, get the DAC later.

Combining the 2 (especially on a somewhat restrictive budget, and even more so on a less restrictive one
tongue.gif
) is not a great idea. When you go to upgrade one you are forced to sell the other part too. What if you liked the amp... or the DAC... yea.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with just the amp now, get the DAC later.

Combining the 2 (especially on a somewhat restrictive budget, and even more so on a less restrictive one
tongue.gif
) is not a great idea. When you go to upgrade one you are forced to sell the other part too. What if you liked the amp... or the DAC... yea.

Very sound advice!

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah that's what I'm gonna do thank you, I was just wondering if there was something like the Maverick D1 but with tubes.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why tubes?

Why Solid State?

Added:
I should note that I am opposed to tube DAC's that cost less than an OK car. Everything I have heard in the realm of budget friendly tube DACs is sadly lacking

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's what I'm gonna do thank you, I was just wondering if there was something like the Maverick D1 but with tubes.

Yes there is some thing like the Maverick D1. Chinese xiangsheng. LOL!

Else, I would get Cambridge Audio DACMagic. I wonder what magic it'll bring. Pun.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there is some thing like the Maverick D1, here. LOL!!

How about Xiangshengs? They make great tube amps!!

Else, I would get Cambridge Audio DACMagic. I wonder what magic it'll bring...

Thanks, that Xiangsheng looks interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back