Any Tips on how to make IEM last
Sep 2, 2008 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eeksll

New Head-Fier
Hello all, as the title suggests, anyone got any tips on how to make headphones last?

Neither of my shure e2c's or etymotic er6i have lasted a standard warranty period. I got them off ebay so no warranty.

shures cable cracked, and the etymotic's lasted 6months
frown.gif

I use them to and from work everyday plus about 3 times a week at the gym. Thats 16+ hrs a week.

I'd be happy to spend more $$ on IEM's but at the rate i go through them it just is not worth it.

Considering replaceable cable type ... but I don't really like how far the UE's stick out and the etymotic er4 cable costs ... well that's just ridiculous.

any ideas? Thanks for reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Be extra careful? I know this is too obvious as an answer I can't think of any answer better than this.

If you know you ain't going to be the most careful IEM user in town, I'll suggest you buy your next pair from an authorized dealer. You'll spend extra cash, but in return you know you will be covered. In long therm, it is better than 10% off from eBay than regret 6 months later.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 12
I thought about it before i got my second pair, but consider this I buy etymotics off ebay for about $100, the only authorised retailer i can find in Australia charge AUS$180.

I really like the etymotics and would consider paying full price if they offered at least a 2 year warranty. Average out at AUS$100 per year would be good value for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 12
- always use a case (resist the temptation to wrap them around your mp3 player followed by stuffing them in a pocket)
- use a shirt clip (will help prevent tugging)
- clean them regularly
- and don't let anyone touch them!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's about it...

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 12
Both Freqs and Livewires should work.

Freq has a $10US option to increase warranty from 1 year to 2 years. http://www.freqonline.com/superfreq.htm

LW has a swivel connector that is a great strain relief on the IEM. The right angle relieves a stress concentration point on the cable that can lead to premature failure. Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones

If you go with either solution, just make sure you have a good audiologist. Custom fit is not-so-great if they don't fit.

Reading through the (endless) threads on both, the Freqs appeal to a younger, more fashionable crowd because they offer greater customization with colors & patterns. LW seems to have better build quality.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- always use a case (resist the temptation to wrap them around your mp3 player followed by stuffing them in a pocket)
- use a shirt clip (will help prevent tugging)
- clean them regularly
- and don't let anyone touch them!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's about it...

Ditto, esp. the one in boldface about not wrapping them around your player. It's like cancer. Also:

Try not to just chuck them in your bag full of moist stuff.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Sorry to bug you and contribute nothing to the question at hand other than be careful with how you wrap your cables, which would you recommend for my first decent (read: not $20-30) IEM - the e2c or the er6i? Only $15 difference, right now I am tied right between them - not sure which to go for

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should prolly post a new thread, and give more details about your listening prefs, etc.

I already did and thought I would go with the er6i but then I changed my mind again and I saw the OP of this thread had both of the two i was deciding between and he could probably give me a good idea
I listen to mostly rock but will sometimes listen to anything except rap, metal, and old boring stuff and how well they stay in your ear is important as I plan to use them for physical activity

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to mostly rock but will sometimes listen to anything except rap, metal, and old boring stuff and how well they stay in your ear is important as I plan to use them for physical activity

Odd that you decided on ER-6i given your listening prefs. ER-6i for rock? No... But then, I wouldn't get the E2Cs either. Sounds like you have some searching/reading to do. OK, now we're hijacking...I'll take a look at your original thread.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bug you and contribute nothing to the question at hand other than be careful with how you wrap your cables, which would you recommend for my first decent (read: not $20-30) IEM - the e2c or the er6i? Only $15 difference, right now I am tied right between them - not sure which to go for

I would go the er6i definitely. Because of detail and much better isolation.

In terms of sound I felt the er6i had way more detail and everything was much more clear ... it felt like i had an expensive pair of headphones ... with no bass. The e2c's had more bass but I never felt they where anything particularly special ...

When I was looking it seemed like more people preferred the shure e2c's which is why i went them first. There may be a reason for that ... it may produce the sound that more people like ... hedge your bets if you got nothing else to go on?

I do miss the bass sometimes and when i get home and use my Alessandro MS-1 ... the contrast is quite amazing.

The only reason i have not got another set of er6i's is because of durability reasons ...

just my personal tip if its your first IEM ... not sure if others have experienced this: try different a different tip after you have used the headphones for a couple of months and feel comfortable with them. I found that even when i thought I'd found the proper fit for me which i used for 5 months ... another tip which i did not think fitted properly ended providing better isolation for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back