Any tiny and cheap speaker amp recomendations?
Jul 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15
hi, im looking for something small and cheap.  ive got a rather significantly sized set up in my bed room that i simply never use so id like to reclaim some space and make use of some significantly smaller speaker i have laying around.  idealy id like something like a nuforce icon but i cant help feels it would be a waste since i will almost never use it.  ive looked at a couple of things.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Amplifier-Audio-200W-200W-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Car-AMP-New-/200489118152?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eae1529c8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TA2020-Class-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Car-Amplifier-Mini-T-Amp-/330440428628?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4cefc8cc54

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Amplifier-Hi-Fi-Stereo-HiF-Amplifier-W-Super-Bass-/190411042531?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2c5561eee3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Stereo-Audio-2-CH-iPhone-Mini-Power-Amplifier-Amp-/230483143724?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a9ddac2c

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pocket-Sized-Mini-Amplifier-FM-receiver-/110462987719?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b81b6dc7

would anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on stuff of that ilk?  i dont expect any of them to sound wondrous given their cost and the speakers they will be paired with arent great either but anyone knew if any of those things were better or worse, pretty reasonable sounding, downright horrific etc etc

oh or if any one new of something like the above but was upright please do let me know

(source will be the laptop that lives in the bedroom, so if something had a decent DAC that could be of interest but not if its hiking price.  Speakers used will be some old panasonic things from a surround set up, maybe the bookshelf sized fronts maybe the smaller rears, 6 ohms)

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 15
There are a number of compact receivers on the market. Most come with bad speakers, but sound OK with good speakers. I set up my parent's TV with an old compact Teac receiver and PSB bookshelves. It sounds pretty good. I've also thought about running a car's head unit as a compact home stereo. Many come with a remote these days, some have iPod inputs/controls, you'd get CD playback and a tuner, too. It'd be easy enough to mount in a project box and a 12V wallwart would power it.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 15
i did think about going for a mini CD player/ amp Denon and Teac do many that look great but cost makes me think no.  i really just never am likely to use the set up.  i think the current huge thing has been switched on so far twice this year and used for maybe 30 - 40 min.  however i cant seem to bring myself to have no audio set up in the room.

actually the car stereo is an idea, my dad has a spare one sat doing nothing i believe.  i may very well have a bash at making that work. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 15
actually it occured to me the car stereo is somewhat unlikely have a line in.  seeing as i dont use CD's to play anything (everythings ripped to a networked computer)

still it was a really interesting idea Uncle Eric, thanks for that.

no one have any thoughts on the things in the links or stuff like them?

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 15
Jul 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 15
the power supply wasnt really a big deal and id probably prefer one without as its not likely to be a UK plug.  using universal adapters is very inelegant and ive always been weary of using them from a safety stand point,  i very much like big, secure chunky uk plugs that dont move about if bumped.

still thats a nice looking item, was there any particular reason why you suggested that one over any other ta2024?  or why you suggest the ta2024 over the ta2020?

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 15
What is the efficiency of the speakers that you plan on using with the amp? T-amps are great little amps, but I'd be careful not to match one with speakers that are hard to drive.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
the bigger ones are 81db/w/m the smalls are 79

81 and 79 is pretty darn low. :xf_eek:

From what I read when my bought my t-amp about a year ago people were recommending 89db and up with them. Hell maybe it would work, but I can't imagine that they would sound their best with so little power.

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
the power supply wasnt really a big deal and id probably prefer one without as its not likely to be a UK plug.  using universal adapters is very inelegant and ive always been weary of using them from a safety stand point,  i very much like big, secure chunky uk plugs that dont move about if bumped.

still thats a nice looking item, was there any particular reason why you suggested that one over any other ta2024?  or why you suggest the ta2024 over the ta2020?

Oh alright.  Since those car amps were designed to be powered off the existing 12v line in your car, I wasn't sure if you had an ac adapter for use in your bedroom.  Theres no reason I picked that one in particular.  It was one of the cheaper offerings on ebay uk that specified that it comes with the wall adapter.  The TA2020 is a little better in terms of power output, but its also slightly more expensive; i was trying to stay as close in price point to the items you listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back