Any thoughts on these?
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 34
Really good speakers for live performance recordings. Excellent with jazz and acoustic. Forward sounding, not laid-back monitor types. They don't go very low in the bass and they're very sensitive to positioning and room acoustics.
Easy to drive but very revealing of poor recordings or flaws in your electronics.

They normally sell anywhere from $250. - $800.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 34
Fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

My room is very large. It's about 25 feet long by 18 feet wide. And live rock recordings and jazz are what I love best.

I'm going to try and offer $300 and see what he says. Gunna go look at them this afternoon to make my final decision.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 34
Yes, those are nice speakers. I hope you enjoy the sound and can pick them up for $300.

I'm thinking single-ended directly heated triodes... do you have any plans for amplification?

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 34
I do, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really love the tube sound but can I find a decent tube amp for these for under $500?

Ahh the pitfalls of being a college freshmen.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 34
Hmm. They might be a little over budget, but how about one of the Bottlehead kits?

Edit: Keep an eye on the old Stromberg-Carlson integrated tube amps on eBay. For whatever reason, Stromberg-Carlson gear is mostly overlooked by hi-fi people. Oddly, their radios and telephones are loved by collectors. But I've seen their tube integrated amps sell between $175-$300 or so.

If it hasn't had the filters replaced, you'll want to do that. It's not difficult - if you got it open and took pictures, the DIY Forum could get you through it. Maybe $10-$20 of parts if you don't go boutique. And if you don't mind that, you could probably recap the entire thing yourself for an extra $20-$40. Anyhow, give it some thought, because the Stromberg-Carlson amps are an overlooked bargain.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 34
That's THE classic tube amp and has been around for 40+ years. I can't believe how much the price of these has gone up, but it's a good price by today's market. I owned one of these in mint condition 25+ years ago that I paid $100. for. When they were new they sold for about $150.
I thought that the bass was a little loose and I found a little grain in the treble region. Maybe the seller's mods would address that. I never bothered to mod mine since I knew very little about tubes at the time and was a solid state guy.
It would probably match the Heresies better than it did the Magneplanars I had at the time.
Anyway, here's a review on the ST-70

Dynaco ST 70

You do know that you're also going to have to buy a preamp since the ST-70 is only an amplifier.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's THE classic tube amp and has been around for 40+ years. I can't believe how much the price of these has gone up, but it's a good price by today's market. I owned one of these in mint condition 25+ years ago that I paid $100. for. When they were new they sold for about $150.
I thought that the bass was a little loose and I found a little grain in the treble region. Maybe the seller's mods would address that. I never bothered to mod mine since I knew very little about tubes at the time and was a solid state guy.
It would probably match the Heresies better than it did the Magneplanars I had at the time.
Anyway, here's a review on the ST-70

Dynaco ST 70

You do know that you're also going to have to buy a preamp since the ST-70 is only an amplifier.

Sorry, I'm really new to speakers. I couldn't do PC -> Fubar II USB DAC -> ST-70 -> Klipsch Heresy II?

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I'm really new to speakers. I couldn't do PC -> Fubar II USB DAC -> ST-70 -> Klipsch Heresy II?

Well, technically you can. However the Fubar probably won't provide enough voltage to drive the power amplifier, which provides current to the speakers, properly. You would have to turn up your source's volume to the max. This will probably pick up the amp's internal noise and amplify that as well and still may not be loud enough.

The amplifiers I linked to originally were integrated amplifiers which have the preamp and amplifier on the same chassis. If you are interested in a vintage integrated, you could look for a H. H. Scott 299c which will provide a similar sound to the Dynaco and be a good match to your Heresies. It usually sells for under $400.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 34
The ST70 is a terrific amp - if you can find a good deal, pick it up. Like Night Owl said, you'd probably want a preamp to go along. The good news is that there are quite a few preamps out there - new, used and kit - that are reasonable. If you're willing to pick up a soldering iron, you can build one inexpensively.

Also, the ST70 has had a huge amount of mods and tweaks developed over the years. The possibilities for customization are huge.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, technically you can. However the Fubar probably won't provide enough voltage to drive the power amplifier, which provides current to the speakers, properly. You would have to turn up your source's volume to the max. This will probably pick up the amp's internal noise and amplify that as well and still may not be loud enough.

The amplifiers I linked to originally were integrated amplifiers which have the preamp and amplifier on the same chassis. If you are interested in a vintage integrated, you could look for a H. H. Scott 299c which will provide a similar sound to the Dynaco and be a good match to your Heresies. It usually sells for under $400.

Alright, that makes sense. Do you think I'm better off going the route of the upgraded Dynaco and finding a pre amp or should I just buy the Onix SP3 from Audiogon?

I'm going to assume a decent preamp will be more than $150, which is what the price difference would be between the Dynaco and the SP3.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, that makes sense. Do you think I'm better off going the route of the upgraded Dynaco and finding a pre amp or should I just buy the Onix SP3 from Audiogon?

I'm going to assume a decent preamp will be more than $150, which is what the price difference would be between the Dynaco and the SP3.

You could look around and probably find a decent preamp in the $200. range. It doesn't have to be a tube preamp since you will still get the tube sound from the Dynaco. The most common preferred preamp to match the Dynaco is the Bottlehead Foreplay. New they sell for $450.+, used they sell for around $225.

I haven't personally heard the Onix SP3, but I've read some good reviews on it and it seems to match your requirements. It would probably be easiest to just pick that up. It's also less likely to require work compared to older vintage stuff and would be pretty easy to resell if you decide to upgrade. You may want to google it and read some reviews since my research was not extensive and just out of general interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back