Any thoughts on the SMSL SAP-4s amp?
Jun 30, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
I have the SAP4S. It's not bad. The size is awesome, there's a small amount of hiss but it's only noticeable on sensitive IEMs.

I connected the Sony MH EX300 and the Hisoundaudio Flamenco IEMS, the background is not totally black, when connected to the amp.
But thats only noticable when not playing music. It is totally black when I connect my Sennheiser HD 25-II.

About the SAP4S; my unit is defective... it only holds a charge for a few hours after being fully charged. Switching it off and the next morning it is dead and has to be recharged again.
Sending it back would cost me almost half of a new unit :frowning2:.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:
Maybe try replacing the battery if you can find one. That's my only guess, since mine has a battery life well over 50hrs (or so I think)

That might be a good idea, the seller however offered to pay for shipping. Not sure what I'll do yet.
He did however state that switching on the unit while charging will damage battery, which I accidently did when I gave it the first charge cycle.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #20 of 35
That might be a good idea, the seller however offered to pay for shipping. Not sure what I'll do yet.
He did however state that switching on the unit while charging will damage battery, which I accidently did when I gave it the first charge cycle.

Is it stated in the user manual that turning on the unit while charging will damage the battery? I find this really strange.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 35
According to SMSL's website, you can charge and use SAP-4s at the same time. Most likely yours is defective.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 35
Seems it is defective; it will be send back to China tomorrow and I'll receive a replacement asap :).
Question to others who have the same amplifier; can you charge and use it at the same time while output stays clean?

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #25 of 35
Well, I haven't bought a c&c bh anymore. I use a fred 3 channel amp on 18 volts, down side is that it runs out in 1 houre and 15 minutes and it is alot bigger. My sap smsl was sent back and a replacement was shipped to me last week. I will probably sell it to buy the beefiest nimh rechargeable 9 volt batteries I can find.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 35
Bump for more impressions.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 35
  What about FiiO

They have pretty good small amps.

Fiio have some very nice and affordable amps, in the price range of the sap-4 you have the e6 and e11, both are quite good, but I find the Fiio amps to close the soundstage slightly (the e6 quite a bit) and they can sound congested with warm phones as they have a slightly lush signature, hiss and emi is good however and for the price you won`t find many if any that better the e11 or e6, unless you go the cmoy route however they are much larger and more inconvenient due to the use of 9v batts, haven`t heard the sap-4 but from what i`ve read it will probably be more neutral, depends what you like, Fiio amps also have bass boost among other options and eq`s.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #29 of 35
I'm using Smsl  sap-4s for a few days and all I can say is I liked it a lot. 

May 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #30 of 35
My portable rig: Colorfly C3 > SMSL Sap-4s > Audio Technica IM50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back