Any thoughts on the SMSL SAP-4s amp?
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dh0licious

100+ Head-Fier
In the market for a small cMoy, I came across this little critter on e b a y - the SMSL SAP-4s (MAX9722)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-New-version-SMSL-SAP-4S-Ultra-thin-portable-Headphone-amplifier-Black-/321104815565?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item4ac356a5cd&_uhb=1

I have found a couple of reviews:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72005
http://www.head-fi.org/products/new-version-smsl-sap-4s-portable-power-headphone-amplifier-black/reviews/9116

But just wondering in addition what you fella's think of this little guy? I'm after a small, slim-profile amp that I can keep in my pocket attached to my iPhone. 

If it matters, i'm tossing up between this amp and the Zigis's ABB cMoy (OPA2134 or LM4562),
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251241570620

and Fred's tiny Eclipse tin cMoy (althought not too sure if i'll like the Tpa6111a2 opamp)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headphone-amplifier-eclipse-tin-cmoy-RECHARGABLE-audiophile-quality-Black-Ch-/200908741875?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec7181cf3&_uhb=1

I don't even know why I put up a poll, but I did. Just for the heck of it. Ignore it if you want!

Adios

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 35
Bump

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 35
:frowning2:

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 35
I've interest in this smsl little amp. Quite slim and in the review you hold says that's a great amp for the prive, beating e11 an c&c bh. If that's true, and for 49$ I'll order one!.
Waiting for another review, may be ClieOs?...

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:
I've interest in this smsl little amp. Quite slim and in the review you hold says that's a great amp for the prive, beating e11 an c&c bh. If that's true, and for 49$ I'll order one!.

Someone try it! This could be the next C&C BH....!

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Not sure I'll be interested. It is based on MAX9722, the same chip in FiiO E6. But this doesn't mean it will be the same SQ, as iFi iDAC uses the same chip and the result is actually quite good. However, iDAC has the advantage of being a desktop gear so it benefits from a great power supply. From the internal picture of the SAP-4, I can see they are using the reference design from Maxim and run straight from a 3.7V Li-ion battery, which is much simpler in design than E11 or BH. Of course, no one can judge SQ by looking at the circuit.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 35
Hi Clieos, this is somewhat unrelated, but what's the coldest sound amp with preferably a slight boost to treble, good transparency and soundstage under $200? I need something  to complement the Aurisonics ASG-1, which has very forward mids and recessed treble. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:
Hi Clieos, this is somewhat unrelated, but what's the coldest sound amp with preferably a slight boost to treble, good transparency and soundstage under $200? I need something  to complement the Aurisonics ASG-1, which has very forward mids and recessed treble. 

It is much easier to find a warm and than a cold amp, and bass boost over treble boost. It would be easier just to use a transparent amp, then boost the treble with EQ.  For that, and If you don't mind the size, O2 will be a good choice. Lear FSM-01 is quite a bright sounding amp too, though not as good as O2.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 35

The person who wrote that review/blog in the OP's link from anything but ipod is actually the same member (who is now banned from here) and claimed $100 Colorfly C3 was a better sounding player then $449 Hisound Studio V. I cannot link the blog here but that wild claim can be seen on his main website. Knowing what I know now (owning both DAP) what I'm saying is this isn't the first time I've seen outlandish claims by that member that "this is half the cost and beats that" I would really like someone to try the SAP amp and by all means we might be onto something.. but knowing what I learnt about Studio V and Colorfly C3 (regardless of internals) won't believe a word from that ex member. Not the first time I've seen him mention such things.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
The person who wrote that review/blog in the OP's link from anything but ipod is actually the same member (who is now banned from here) and claimed $100 Colorfly C3 was a better sounding player then $449 Hisound Studio V. I cannot link the blog here but that wild claim can be seen on his main website. Knowing what I know now (owning both DAP) what I'm saying is this isn't the first time I've seen outlandish claims by that member that "this is half the cost and beats that" I would really like someone to try the SAP amp and by all means we might be onto something.. but knowing what I learnt about Studio V and Colorfly C3 (regardless of internals) won't believe a word from that ex member. Not the first time I've seen him mention such things.

I just want to buy something :frowning2: Lol!

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 35
As its only 45 USD I decided to buy the SAP-4s (2013 version in blue).
Going to match it up with a Colorfly C3 and HD 25-II :).

I'll report back when I have received the DAP and the amp.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 35
Cool. Eagerly awaiting your review!

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 35
Well I have the amp hooked up on my C3 for a few days now; however sometimes it does not switch on; unless I connect it to a power source for a second.
After that it stays on fine; I will try charging it for a longer while to see if it is just the battery not not received a good charge yet or something else.

I'm trying to check if it sounds different with the SMSL sap 4s amp; but the differences are quite marginal at best. To be honest, I can't really tell if it sounds better with SAP4SL.
It sounds a tiny bit different though, but its so subtle I cannot really describe it. Also I don't hear any hiss at normal and loud volumes.

I am wondering though; people are reporting that the C3 player will go to the next level when paired with the C&C BH amp; well that does not seem the case with the SMSL.
Thats not a bad thing as the C3 sounds very good already and music can be played at much louder volume without degraded sound quality.
It looks quite nifty stacked with a C3 and the SMSL cable is nice too.

I am also planning to get the C&C BH and the Superlux 668B headphone, but that will atleast take another 4 weeks. I also have an IEM from Sony, which I got with my xperia Z smartphone (removed filter mod) and the Hisoundaudio Flamenco (not burned in yet) to test with the C3 without and with amp :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back