Any thoughts about the new Macbook Pros just released today?
Feb 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I edited the title :)  

I'm really curious to know what possibilities the new MBP can offer us headphone and audio lovers over the existing MBP.   Among the many questions I have is how much use the new thunderbolt capability will have, but not only that.  Though it's early to tell much, I wonder whether the changes, from our audio perspective, are evolutionary or something more? 

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 6
The new MBP is overkill and will not gain you any advantage over a 2 year-old 15" MBP.  I took a 2 year-old unit, changed the drive to an Intel 108GB SSD, and brought it up to 4 GB ram.  I store all d/l FLAC files on an external drive and all converted AIFF files on another external drive.  Playing the music through the SSD sounds better than from a normal HDD.  The key here, even if you are only headphones user, as I am, is finding the best DAC you can afford, or are willing to save up for.

Good luck.  Art

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Indeed, the key upgrade is now an SSD drive if you want your computer to be faster. Thunderbolt though is typical Apple: Don't just add USB 3 or eSATA but jump to the entirely next level and create a radically better interface for pro users.  Being that I have a considerable quantity of high-quality photos and HD videos of my child I want to edit, the announcement is welcome. Pro users will like it once peripherals are available too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back