Any suggestion for updating frrom AD700?
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Posts
534
Likes
12
I am using AD700/ES7 headphones and just think about that whether I need an update from them...

I am using iPod Video 5G/iPod Touch 2G + Corda Headsix for the source
or maybe my X-Fi eXtreme Music SC

and I listen Hip Hop most of times, but not that sort of pop ones
Like Jazzy hip hop or instrumental hip hop i like which need more details and clarity

I am thinking about SR325 or MS-2 but I know maybe my sources are the bottleneck...

Do you guys think whether worth an update or not....
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 16

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Posts
281
Likes
0
i'm using the Ad700s and Es7's too.
used to have a headsix as well.
theres probably arguments eitherway.
but i think it comes down to what are your source files?
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 16

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Posts
2,001
Likes
18
The ATHs/Grados/Alessandros are all poor hip hop phones. In general, open backs are poor hip hop phones as they lack the bass impact of a good closed back. I recommend that you look into the Denons and Ultrasones, the D2000 should be a nice upgrade from the AD700.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 16

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,450
Likes
26
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATHs/Grados/Alessandros are all poor hip hop phones. In general, open backs are poor hip hop phones as they lack the bass impact of a good closed back. I recommend that you look into the Denons and Ultrasones, the D2000 should be a nice upgrade from the AD700.


And not all closed-back headphones are even acceptable choices for hip-hop, for that matter. In fact, I have listened to many closed-back headphones which had been reputed to be "great for hip-hop", and found that some of them sounded dull and lifeless on that genre of music! Some of the worst closed-back headphones for hip-hop also made everything else sound bad. Conversely, I found that the best-sounding 'phones for hip-hop also sounded reasonably good on most other types of music.
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Posts
534
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using the Ad700s and Es7's too.
used to have a headsix as well.
theres probably arguments eitherway.
but i think it comes down to what are your source files?



hahah why u sold ur Headsix? I think it drive the AD700 pretty well~~

actually most of my files in the iPod are 192-320kbps rate mp3
I don't use lossless or wav cuz I have a huge collection of CDs
 
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Posts
534
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATHs/Grados/Alessandros are all poor hip hop phones. In general, open backs are poor hip hop phones as they lack the bass impact of a good closed back. I recommend that you look into the Denons and Ultrasones, the D2000 should be a nice upgrade from the AD700.


But i have to say that not all hip hop music need the strong bass, at least what i listen to are not. I am not a bass addict and I think I don't need headphones which good at bass only. Yes AD700 do lack of bass, but it have a pretty good mid range and the speed of bass which I think critical as well for hip hop music. The Headsix help improving some bass which i can accept. I love my AD700, but I think I want to try some different taste?^^
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 16

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Posts
4,977
Likes
35
In my experience, the only upgrade is the AD2000's.

If you want to sidegrade (to something of equal or lesser quality but with a different sound signature) then there are many options.

Maybe try the DT880's? Very very detailed and clear with nice sparkling treble. They have more bass impact and texture than the AD700's. The only things I find lacking are the mids which aren't as sweet as the AD700's and are slightly recessed and the soundstage which isn't anywhere near as expansive as the AD700's.
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 16

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
4,968
Likes
17
if you liked AD700, AD2K are the logical step up.
I have two. And yeah, they're really that good.

I would pass on 325is if you don't listen to rock. Those things were made for that guitar scream.
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 16

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Posts
2,263
Likes
11
rednamalas1 you are going to make my wallet very, very sad.

... but my ears will be happy!
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 16

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
4,968
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rednamalas1 you are going to make my wallet very, very sad.

... but my ears will be happy!



I snatched a pair for fair price, they will come up in low 400s once in a while.
wink.gif


and you're welcome.
icon10.gif
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 16

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Posts
1,217
Likes
118
Location
Tasmania Australia
CapQ,
I am contemplating the same question, albeit upgrading rom AD900. The AD2000 is a logical step, although some say that the AD2000 is a different animal to the AD700 and AD900. Through reading threads, the Sony SA5000 comes into contention. I have also considered the RS1 and more particularly the MSPro.

I see you are also an Aussie, and therfore the AD2000 is priced at over $1100 AUD locally or around $870 from the best imported site I can find. The MSPro will set you back the best part of $1000 and you might be able to find a SA5000 for around $700 imported or $1000 locally. These are all new prices of course. The MSPro and AD2000 are efficient enough to perform well from under amped sources, but I think the SA5000 may be more source and amp dependant to sound their best. I am not speaking from experience here, as i said, I am exploring the same path. I do love the sound sig of my AD900s though, and am looking for more of the same, only better.
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Posts
534
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you liked AD700, AD2K are the logical step up.
I have two. And yeah, they're really that good.

I would pass on 325is if you don't listen to rock. Those things were made for that guitar scream.



Hmmm i am wondering which ones can make turntable scream^^
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Posts
534
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CapQ,
I am contemplating the same question, albeit upgrading rom AD900. The AD2000 is a logical step, although some say that the AD2000 is a different animal to the AD700 and AD900. Through reading threads, the Sony SA5000 comes into contention. I have also considered the RS1 and more particularly the MSPro.

I see you are also an Aussie, and therfore the AD2000 is priced at over $1100 AUD locally or around $870 from the best imported site I can find. The MSPro will set you back the best part of $1000 and you might be able to find a SA5000 for around $700 imported or $1000 locally. These are all new prices of course. The MSPro and AD2000 are efficient enough to perform well from under amped sources, but I think the SA5000 may be more source and amp dependant to sound their best. I am not speaking from experience here, as i said, I am exploring the same path. I do love the sound sig of my AD900s though, and am looking for more of the same, only better.



Yeah mate I noticed that you used to have a Ms2i and just wondering how it sound and why you sold it? I have to say the AD2K are quite over my budget... And I don't think my front end source can drive them well.....

I just need a small step update maybe under AUD500 budget,,,,
AD2K? Due to the love for AD700, I am pretty sure that I need to grab them maybe later on....
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 16

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
4,968
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm i am wondering which ones can make turntable scream^^


I definately need to get a better amp and phono stage to make my TT sing.
When I'm done with my Electrostats rig, I'll probably end up getting a Zana Deux...
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 16

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Posts
1,217
Likes
118
Location
Tasmania Australia
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah mate I noticed that you used to have a Ms2i and just wondering how it sound and why you sold it? I have to say the AD2K are quite over my budget... And I don't think my front end source can drive them well.....

I just need a small step update maybe under AUD500 budget,,,,
AD2K? Due to the love for AD700, I am pretty sure that I need to grab them maybe later on....



CapQ,

The MS2i are a very good headphone, plenty of reviews around here on that subject. For me, I prefer the sound signature of the AD900 over the MS2i, particularly the airy soundstage in contrast to the Alessandros very up front traits. If you like AD700 then there is every chance you might like MS2i, however you may prefer the AD700 for much the same reasons as I do. You could upgrade to AD900 from AD700, they are reportably better, however by how much is debatable. I can't really comment as I haven't heard the AD700s. Cheers, and good luck with your decision.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top