Any successor to ATH-WS99? Any comparisons to DT770 and HD595?
Nov 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

strokerace

Head-Fier
It's been a while since I've last posted but since the headphones I've been wanting are now discontinued and somewhat cheaper, I thought I'd get back into my old hobby.

In recent years I've stuck to my KSC75's and my JVC in-ears (air cushions were discontinued so i picked up the bassy 101X or whatever when i lost those) as well as my superlux HD681 with "velour" pads from ebay. A couple years ago I picked up a Beyer DT990 and Denon D2000 to try out and I didn't have any amps or sources that made it worth owning (only had a fiio e7 and cmoy along with my old kenwood integrated). I've sold off the DT990 and traded the D2000 plus cash, of course, for a modded SR125i which was OK but sill not worth owning in my eyes.

I use the HD681 for gaming (with the cheap Neweer clip on mic, thanks to the gaming thread elsewhere in these forums) but I'm looking for something a bit better with positioning for those FPS games. Last time I was here, I was considering the ATH-WS99 or DT770 for watching movies or listening to music with bass but after looking through ebay I see that used Sennheiser HD595's are really cheap now and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with some or all of three of these headphones. I also see that there aren't as many people here selling the WS99 any more so I'm wondering if there is a successor within the audio technica line.

TL;DR
give me your thoughts on, or alternatives to: DT770, ATH-WS99, HD595 for movies and bass heavy music (mostly hip hop), slightly less emphasis on gaming. I like the bright highs in the DT990, D2000, and SR125i but need more bass without the use of an amp.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 4
the Sennheiser 595's will not give you the bass you are wanting from the headphones you listed.
They are good/ok open back headphones but will not give you the heavy driving bass when you compare them to ATH WS99 etc

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 4
the Sennheiser 595's will not give you the bass you are wanting from the headphones you listed.
They are good/ok open back headphones but will not give you the heavy driving bass when you compare them to ATH WS99 etc

OK, thanks for the info. I remember they used to get recommended as an all around phone for movies/games but I suppose I'd never heard of them being recommended for bass-heavy music. Maybe that was a long time ago when it was just the flavor of the month. With a few HD595's selling for less than $100 (didn't think they'd go down so much in value, even with the updated model), it still seems like worth a shot. If the soundstage and positioning are nice I could see it replacing my Superlux HD681's for gaming as well. I'm not too sure about those angled drivers though (or am I thinking of a different model?).

I think if I found a decent pair of WS99's for $100 or less, I'd pick them up first and then eventually pit them against the more common HD595 and keep the one that rounds out my current collection better. There were quite a few in the classifieds at a nice price earlier this year when I was trying to sell or trade my SR125i's, but looks like there's been nothing for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back