Any sub $200 Non-Portable Amps?
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 14
For DIY there is a lot of option, this one is the example: CKKIII.
However for other commercial amp, the only thing close to $200:
Corda Arietta, Little Dot MK II, Zero DAC/AMP, Original Master.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 14
On that budget I would contact a builder (MisterX for example) and see about having a Mini3 built as a home amp. It's a good design, inexpensive to build, and the fact that it's designed as a portable doesn't mean it's not a fine amp when equipped with RCA inputs and wall power as well.

I have one of these and like it very much.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that budget I would contact a builder (MisterX for example) and see about having a Mini3 built as a home amp. It's a good design, inexpensive to build, and the fact that it's designed as a portable doesn't mean it's not a fine amp when equipped with RCA inputs and wall power as well.

I have one of these and like it very much.

can you post some pics of the mini3 home amp version?

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you post some pics of the mini3 home amp version?

I'm sorry, I'm traveling and can't for another few days. I'll try to remember after I get home.

Until then, you can sort of try to visualize: smaller than most home amps, larger than a portable amp, less pretty than a commercial amp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Any sort of improvement over the portable version? beside continuous power supply.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 14
hmm, that Zero DAC/AMP sounds pretty good. the review here sure made it so and it has nice options.

Corda Arietta is a maybe but its $50 more then the zero and no DAC, but not required. Little Dot MK II has tubes and i dont like the idea of hot tubes around my computer desk. Original Master doesnt sound appealing. they dont even list imputs on there site.

i wonder, would it be better to use the zero and its DAC? i have optical out on my mac pro. or use the Arietta and stick with my mac pro's DAC?

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by orbitalpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone recommend a sub $200 stationary amp. DAC is not necessary. Something without a built in battery. small is ok tho.

thanks guys

I'm pretty new to amps, so I don't have a lot of experience. But I absolutely love my Little Dot MK II. Fantastic sound with my HD650's. It really opened up the sound and brough a velvety, creamy richness to all of my music. Doesn't seem very picky to sub-standard sources either. The tubes present tinkering opportunities in the future, so in some small way it's upgradable. However, if you want a semi-portable option, this is not the amp for you. Fairly large, heavy, AC only, and tubed; it's for stationary use only.

I bought it from David on eBay for $199 w/ shipping (and incredible shipping speed too).

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Check out the Firestone Cute Battery II or Beyond. I'm using a Battery II at my desk at work, driving a pair of AKG K601's quite well. (although I've got everything queued up to build a couple of SOHA's, Damm that DIY bug.. :p ). As the name says, the Bat II has a rechargable battery that can be disconnected internally so it can be plugged in permanently (not recommended if the battery is connected), or used as a semi portable. Check here: headamps
and here: Cute BEYOND Headphone Amp Remarkable Hi End Sound! - (eBay.ca item 300182169608 end time 12-Mar-08 00:13:23 EDT)
for more info.
I might be convinced to sell my Battery II if we could work out a reasonable deal. It might be the incentive to get off my butt and build the SOHA. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 14
I think you should try to snag a Corda Headfive used for around that price. It is basically the same thing as a Arietta, but with slightly different innards.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Definitely get either a SOHA, CK2III, or Mini3 for your amp. If you need a DAC go for the Alien DAC, or if you can spend the extra the OPUS DAC is a great bang for the buck. I think you'll be really dissatisfied with a low end little dot or really most amps under 200usd that are pre-built. Have fun and good luck choosing
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back