Any Sound leakge on the DT880/990?
May 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Virtax

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!,

Recently I broke my old headphones (Steesleries Siberia V2), so now i'm on the hunt for a new set of can's

Got my eyes on the DT990/32, only one problem, I'm talking quiet alot on skype with friend's, so I have a question how bad doe's the DT990/32 leak? or even the 880? (using an Rode Procaster Dynamic microphone just because
tongue_smile.gif
).

I did saw the DT770 which is closed back headphones but i'm not sure how's the sound quality on them..

P.S How bad doe's the AKG Q701 leak?

Thanks alot! 

May 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 9
If you listen to any of the open headphones listed at even a moderate volume, they will leak as if you have a quiet speaker running in the room. However, unless you have a VERY sensitive microphone, the leak probably won't be picked up.

Personally, I like gaming with closed headphones for the immersion. Others who are playing games that require more precise auditory ques would probably recommend an open headphone.

-Nylan

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

I did saw the DT770 which is closed back headphones but i'm not sure how's the sound quality on them..

ALL open back headphones will leak sound. 

The DT770 is a great headphone, if you don't care about positioning (on fps games) fun sounding, with nice bass. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Can you guys tell me like approx how much does it leak? will game explosions be leaked quiet heavily near a microphone? (my mic is positioned right next to my mouth). If they do leak quiet a bit i'm thinking on getting the Ultrastone Pro 900 or the DT770, what do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch! 

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 9
DT880 leaks less than the DT990.

The DT880 is "semi-"open. Might be the best compromise for you.

If you are not listening to crazy sound levels your mic shouldn't be able to pick that up at all.

Cheers,
K

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I've had the pleasure of trying the Pro 900. They are amazingly fun, but were a bit tiring for me. For hours of gaming, I'd imagine the velour pads and the more laid-back presentation of the Beyer sound would suit us. They also have crazy bass, but it's more light, and is also apparently beastly for movies. Cheaper too, in Europe. 

My two pennies as a newbie.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmm Ok, I guees I will go with the DT770 Pro 80, only a small problem,

I'm using an Audio Interface (Focusrite 2i2) and not sure how well it drives higher ohm headphones, I'm thinking of getting the FiiO E9K, connecting the headphone output from the Audio Interface to the In-Line port on the back of the E9K and then connecting  the DT770 to the E9K Will work? Or should I use the 1/4inch ports (2i2)-> E9K?

Thanks alot for your help guys! 

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmmm, your focusrite has this analogue output:

[tr] [td=colspan:2] Analogue Output Performance[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Nominal Output Level[/td] [td] 0dBFS = 10dBu, balanced[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Frequency Response[/td] [td] 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] THD+N[/td] [td] < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, un-weighted)[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Output Impedance[/td] [td] < 10Ω[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Power Output into 150Ω[/td] [td] 15mW[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Power Output into 50Ω[/td] [td] 30mW

[/td]
[/tr]

I am not sure if that's enough to drive the DT770 Pro 80. It sounds ok. Anyhow, you would need to connect the E09K to the line out if you want the cleanest sounds amplified, otherwise you would be double amping if you take the sound from the headphone out.

I would actually try it without the Fiio and see how it sounds.

For the Fiio you would need a cable from 2x1/4inch LINE OUT of the 2i2 to cinch AUX IN for the Fiio.... 

Or you use two 1.4inch to RCA adapters and use a standard RCA cable....also possible.

Maybe someone else can pitch in?

Cheers,
Ralf

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Hmmm, your focusrite has this analogue output:

[tr] [td=colspan:2] Analogue Output Performance[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Nominal Output Level[/td] [td] 0dBFS = 10dBu, balanced[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Frequency Response[/td] [td] 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] THD+N[/td] [td] < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, un-weighted)[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Output Impedance[/td] [td] < 10Ω[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Power Output into 150Ω[/td] [td] 15mW[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Power Output into 50Ω[/td] [td] 30mW

[/td]
[/tr]

I am not sure if that's enough to drive the DT770 Pro 80. It sounds ok. Anyhow, you would need to connect the E09K to the line out if you want the cleanest sounds amplified, otherwise you would be double amping if you take the sound from the headphone out.

I would actually try it without the Fiio and see how it sounds.

For the Fiio you would need a cable from 2x1/4inch LINE OUT of the 2i2 to cinch AUX IN for the Fiio.... 

Or you use two 1.4inch to RCA adapters and use a standard RCA cable....also possible.

Maybe someone else can pitch in?

Cheers,
Ralf

Yhea was thinking about this setup, 2 1/4inch cable to 3.5mm. Maybe? I don't know.
But will it have latency? I mean the only reason I want to hook the AMP to my Audio Interface is so I can monitor myself talking, with the zero latency monitering feature that the 2i2 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back