Any skiers here on head-fi?
Feb 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sebhuber

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

was just wondering if anyone here is into skiing. I grew up in a ski resort near Salzburg/ Austria, which gave me lots of opportunities to go out and have fun. Recently I have been more into park skiing, but powder snow is still my favourite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Ex-skier here - I sold all my gear a few weeks ago after admitting to myself that my ankles would never be up to it in the long-term.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Ex-skier her as well.
Grew up with cross-country skiing and took on alpine skiing at age 10-12. But sadly the then local alpine skiing hill closed down some years later and I totally lost interest.

Après-ski (after-skiing) on the other hand.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 21
I just got back from skiing over the weekend!
biggrin.gif
I very much enjoy skiing, and my friend that I went with is a ski racer for our school team. My family goes a couple times annually to Rib Mountain.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 21
I used to live in Colorado and ski 40-50 days a year. I miss that. Mostly got into back country skiing by the end- no crowds + powder FTW.

sicklinehighcontrast.jpg

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m a skier.
Been skiing for 41 years.
Just bought a monoboard this year.
A little tricky, but fun nonetheless.

oh my goodness...
those look super duper interesting.
i skiied/snowboarded for over 20 years. got tired of them, and i've been snowblading for the past 3 years.
i went once this year and it just wasn't that much fun anymore so i decided to retire.
but mr crazyray, i believe you might have convinced me to purchase some new gears and hit the mountains again...
damn it!! (in a good way)

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 21
I ski! Tahoe is my second home, Squaw is preferred.

I actually blew out my right ACL in January this year at Squaw doing some night skiing. I have to wait for surgery cause I also have a compression fracture on the tibia. The bone must heal before any drilling can commence.

Just means there is more headphone time.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 21
I don't get the monobard thing. Doesn't that just combine all the disadvantages of snowboarding (no independent foot movement, can't mount climbing skins) with all the disadvantages of skiing (doesn't get that "surfing" feel, stiff uncomfortable boots)? I also hear they tend to cause injuries (because only one binding may release in a fall).

What are the advantages?

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 21
I bought the monoski because my girlfriend is just learning to ski and I wanted to learn something new/different when she was on the beginner hill.
I still like traditional skiing, but the monoski sure is a challenge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also hear they tend to cause injuries (because only one binding may release in a fall).

The bindings on my monoski do not release.

Actually - one big mono rotating around one small knee - is what saves your knee! if it was one small ski (like when skiing with two planks) chances of damage are much higher.

I am fairly new to all of this.
Here is a forum for all of your questions if you are interested.

lateral pressure forums - Message Board Yuku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back