Any Sim Racing Fans?
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #76 of 181
Just finished building myself a new frame to hold my G25 wheel, pedals and shifter in the basement (wood). I haven't found a good chair yet, but it's still a far cry better than just bolting the thing onto my desk. What really pushed me to build my own frame was the realization that I wasn't actually using the wheel because it was too much of a pain to set up, so I only took it out when I had a whole day to play. I've been eying something like the ECCI setup for a while now, but I'm not going to spend that sort of money until I feel I've mastered the level of equipment I have right now. And after about a year and a half off, I'm pretty rusty. I plan on getting some serious practice in soon, however.
gs1000.gif

In terms of games, mostly GTR2 and Race07 here, but I'm considering getting into online racing now that I have a more reliable setup. Speaking of which, I think it would be cool if we could have some Head-Fi race weekends! If we all have a game with multi-player functionality in common, we should be able to set up our own series, if someone is willing to keep track of the points. Anyone else interested?

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #77 of 181
Wonder how many there is here. Racedepartment has some fun races that you can just jump into. I don´t quite recall which sims they run now. 
I started my online career in average drivers club in speedgeezers and GTR. I don´t know how active they are but the first on-line race what an experience. I could smell the petrol. I was a total noob had no idea about anything but they did show patience with me. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #78 of 181
How is the CSW treating you? I've heard so much good and bad that it gets confusing. Nice seating angle.

Sorry, been off the forum for a bit.

I had the same concerns about the Fanatec stuff- seems people either love it or have terrible experiences with the company. I decided to gamble since there wasn't much else out there that ticked the right boxes for me. So far I think it's very good. Feels great, right amount of on wheel buttons, on/off switch, quiet, etc. I like being able to tweak the FF on the fly, in game. I haven't put many hours on it thus far though.

I'm still trying to find the best seating angle - tried many variations - this one feels the best for longer stints thus far.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #79 of 181
I'm in the market for a seat/cockpit ... or possibly making it home-made (the fact I've put that off for ... 5+ years tells me it may be best to buy one). My current set-up functions ... but is rickety, the chair not quite comfortable, etc.  One hour and my back is shot.

If anyone knows of a cockpit they really like ... I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

p.s. I'm at PS2 level, road-racing and Nascar, aiming toward iRacing or similar (I only recently got high-speed Internet)

favorite games: TOCA Race Driver, Gran Turismo, several Nascar (probably F1 if I had it) ... that is all!

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #80 of 181
Speaking of cockpits, has anyone seen one of these in person? I never even knew it existed before I found it by accident on the 'net a few days ago, but now I want one...

Also: If anyone here has used both the latest ECCI and the latest FREX setups, could they offer insight on how the two compare to each other?

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #81 of 181
What really pushed me to build my own frame was the realization that I wasn't actually using the wheel because it was too much of a pain to set up
That pushed me into a full time setup as well. Spent months debating a wheelstand or rig. My apartment just doesn't have the room so I settled on a large desk.

So far I think it's very good. Feels great, right amount of on wheel buttons, on/off switch, quiet, etc. I like being able to tweak the FF on the fly, in game. I haven't put many hours on it thus far though.
I'm sticking with my G27 but I can see how the belt driven wheels can be smoother. And switching FF with a button would be real nice going from Road to Oval. I use very little FF on Oval, just enough to feel whats going on. I really like Fanatec gear, hopefully their QC gets sorted.

I'm in the market for a seat/cockpit ... or possibly making it home-made (the fact I've put that off for ... 5+ years tells me it may be best to buy one). My current set-up functions ... but is rickety, the chair not quite comfortable, etc.  One hour and my back is shot.

If anyone knows of a cockpit they really like ... I'd appreciate any thoughts.
So many options...

DIY with PVC

DIY with 8020

Obutto R3volution is affordable but requires a lot of setup

Human Racing GT is nice looking, doesn't require assembly, and is hella pricy

Speaking of cockpits, has anyone seen one of these in person? I never even knew it existed before I found it by accident on the 'net a few days ago, but now I want one...
motherofgod.jpg

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #82 of 181
Nice stuff, I've been into Trackmania and Live for Speed for quite a while now since Alpha build days. But I just don't see it being worthwhile to dedicate a lot of dosh and time into building a proper driving sim station.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #83 of 181
Installed a hydraulic brake pedal. Better control and feel than the stock G27 brake.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #84 of 181
I imagine so - seeing as the stock brake (for the G25, at least) basically has no feel.

Is that something you made yourself, or did you buy it somewhere?

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #86 of 181
Is it a load cell or a hydraulic damper attached to the pot?

Its a hydraulic cylinder, the white hose attaches to a pressure sensor. I looked into getting a new pedal set like Fanatec CSPs but they would require mounting. I wanted to retain the G27 pedals' carpet gripper and I only really needed a brake (I don't use clutch). After reading a bunch of reviews I decided to go with the perfect pedal and bodnar cable. Installation took about thirty minutes. Needless to say it's night and day from the stock potentiometer.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #87 of 181
That looks great. I bet it's quite a difference in pedal response.

Man, I haven't done any simming in a few month now. I should probably do some laps of Shanghai to get ready for this weekend.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #88 of 181
Yes, get in some laps before the race. Your awesome rig deserves more seat time but having a family takes priority. I ran some Shanghai laps in F1 2012 Tuesday. After running ovals the last two weeks my road skills were pretty rusty. iRacing now has a series that follows the NASCAR schedule. Expensive to buy that many tracks but must be a blast for NASCAR fans.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #90 of 181
I had problems with GSC crashing before starting so I didn't get around to actually trying it. Today I found a workaround for the crashing, loses the minimap but thats ok. I turned a few Shangai laps in each car. It didn't recognize the new pedal so I had to use the clutch pedal for braking :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back