Any separate AMP and DAC setup better than HDP and near its price range?
Sep 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pradeep

New Head-Fier
Many say at 500$ or less there is nothing that can Beat the Nuforce Icon HDP (Amp and DAC Combo).

If anyone here has found something which can beat/ come close to the HDP at this price range please let me know.

Many say that the HDP has a better performing(or better valued, at this price) DAC than the amp component, thereby increasing the overall output quality.

I heard the amp is very neutral, without any coloration.

According to some the only disadvantage with the HDP is that, it is not modular, i.e. we cannot upgrade it in future as the amp and DAC are both inside the single product.

I began to think about this and I think we can always add a better amp (if needed) to the HDP as the HDP can act as a pre-amp as well.

The only thing which we cannot upgrade/add on is the DAC part of it (as we cannot put two DACs in the same setup). We need to buy a new DAC and an AMP again (or use the AMP part of the HDP).

So if there is no combo which beats it, atleast  is there any DAC near 500$ which comes close to the HDP's DAC part(leave the amp part of the HDP)?

My quest is to find an amp and DAC combo for my HD650s.

I can spend about 500$ for that, maybe a hundred or two more if needed. Please advise a setup for me.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I guess you already read this: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce14/hdp.html

I'm interested in the same (for my HD650 and my HD800)- and would be very happy to hear from someone with experience with this. How do the NuForce compare with the Benchmark DAC1, which can be bought used at a close to similar price? 

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 9
ya i've read the 6 moons review.

it says:

"NuForce is proud to state that the digitally fully differential HDP runs four of the same 24/192 DAC chips that are in their $1,450 CD player for shared genetics. Sitting on a discrete daughter board [below], the HDP converter uses a direct-coupled digital input with an I²S full-speed USB2 path. While the S/PDIF and 3.5mm optical inputs process 24/192 feeds, the USB input is limited to 24/96. The analog output stage is reportedly similar to the $1,650 Nuforce P-8S preamp."

that's impressive isn't it?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 9
I can tell you that a uDAC + Asgard does not beat the HDP. uDAC-2 + Asgard might match the HDP, there have been some reports that the uDAC-2 RCA output is better than uDAC-1.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 9
I've been using the zhaolu d2.5 (cs4398) dac and a little dot mkiii (amp). I think the combo sounds good to me. I've been using this setup mainly with my ms-2's and dt880's and it matches well. I have other headphones as well that i use with this setup and all have sounded good. The little dot mkiii is an excellent amp, the amp portion on the zhaolu is sub-par IMHO. This setup would cost nearly $500. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 9
I've placed the order just now on amazon.com !

I've ordered the black one

I am lucky. I've got the last available item
smily_headphones1.gif

The HDP is out of stock as of now on amazon. . Even the silver is shown as out of stock now!  

EDIT: it was back in stock after a few days again.

Hope i've made the right choice.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 9
I would love some more opinions on anything that can beat the NuForce Icon HDP for around $500. I recently purchased a set of ATH-AD900s and looking for a DAC/Amp setup for this beauty. Trying to find the best products possible for $500-$600.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 9
If I were you, I'd also look into Audio-gd FUN and Yulong D100 which both prices around $400 to $500 after shipping (the basic verision FUN is even cheaper). I can't give you any comparison as I never heard either of them, but these are some of the all-in-one solution out there you can check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back