Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers, $200-250 for a pair?
Jun 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Meloncoly

500+ Head-Fier
Looking into buying some new speakers. I currently have the PolkAudio R15s, a Sherwood RD-6105 A/V receiver, and a Sony SA-W2500 sub. I would like to replace all of that, but first I wanted to start with speakers. I plan on a budget system so I'm not going to spend a lot. I would like speakers that are forgiving to a crappy room. Looking to pay around 200 - 250 for a pair of bookshelf speakers, any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 15
New or used?

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Used is fine, as long as it's working I'm happy.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 15
A lot of people here seem to like recommending the av123 x-ls speakers for the money. Now I haven't heard them before but they do look nice on the outside at least. :p I plan on getting a pair whenever they get more stock just for the sake of hearing them. They do have an awesome 30 day in home trial period.

You can also get some klipsch reference bookshelf speakers on ebay for that price range. They're great bang for the buck speakers and they'll be happy with just about any amplifier you hook them up to. Now some people believe their highs are a little too harsh. I can certainly see where they're coming from on that, but it may or may not bother you. Do grados bother you? If not, then you'll probably like the sound.

If you go used and you have the space for them, you can probably get some very nice semi-vintage floorstanding speakers. Their sound will rival anything that's out today for only a small fraction of the price.

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Do you have any recommendations for some vintage floorstanding speakers? I don't know too much about speakers. I don't mind the Grado sound but I don't really like the Grado sound either, like I can take it but I don't want to kind of thing. Floorstanding speakers would definitely benefit me since I won't need to worry about getting a sub, as long as theyre better than my Polkaudios, I'm pretty happy.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 15
check out Onix Ref .5 or the Onix Xls speakers.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Not to flaunt anything I have, but DCM made some very nice offerings with the timeframe and timewindow lines. I love timewindows myself (see sig). They're very impressive speakers and they have a rather large following for speakers that haven't been made in years (DCM was bought out by MTX).

The timewindows had transmission line designs, curved backs that helped smooth out backwave pressure on the woofers, time coherent crossovers, and a double front baffle featuring a woofer and tweeter on each surface for a 270 degree dispersion of sound. Steve Eberbach showed pure genius when he designed them. They were a hit, and they didn't leave you bankrupt.

I'm not familiar with the prices for other vintage speakers since it's too much trouble to keep track of market prices. I'd give ebay a look to see what's out there and about how much you can expect to pay.
cool.gif

Some brands to consider: vandersteen, theil, celestion, infinity, KEF, B&W, mirage, polk, snell

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 15
What about the PSB Alpha B1? Slightly higher @ $279 retail, the actual price might fall within budget. Fwiw, Stereophile recently gave the Alphas a nice review--- "Overall, however, this is superb measured performance for such an affordable speaker, and demonstrates that some excellent engineering has gone into its design.—John Atkinson"

Click picture to read review:

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 15
at that price, bookshelves would definitely be good, and i'd certainly forget about the sub

i've been spreading this around a bit too much lately, but if i were you i would look around locally used for specific brands, or run down the electronics section in craigslist; polk, axiom, athena, energy, triangle, paradigm, epos, and too many others; i don't know anything about vintage i'm afraid; but if you just do a little looking around you might get lucky

i find that at least around here folks have a difficult time offloading highend speakers

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 15
I enjoy Paradigm's sound; in that price range you could consider the new Atom Monitors (v5, $249) which are a vastly improved new version of a design that is highly acclaimed. Here is a very recent review of the Atom Monitor: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/p...monitor_v5.htm. I am very happy with my Paradigm equipment, and you can tell the Goodsound editor was impressed. My first recommendation would be this speaker; if you have a dealer anywhere near you go hear it.

No offense to voxr3m, but I do not recommend anything made by Klipsch. Their horn-loaded tweeters sound muffled, indistinct, and at the same time too harsh to my ears. There is a dealer near me which sells both lines, and a side-by-side comparison (Paradigm-any line v. Klipsch reference) makes this painfully obvious.

I respect PSB, so Tmij has a good recommendation there. However, there aren't any PSB dealers near me so I haven't heard them personally.

I recommend new speakers, mainly because you get to hear what you are getting before you buy. Locally bought used equipment is fine (if you can go audition it before laying down cash), but buying speakers off Ebay makes me leery because I have no idea what they would sound like. Compare every speaker you can find a dealer for and see what they sound like to YOU.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Hmm, why the atoms and not the Titans? I would suggest the titans, larger cone = better bass response. But absolutely hit up paradigm!

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, why the atoms and not the Titans? I would suggest the titans, larger cone = better bass response. But absolutely hit up paradigm!

Paradigm makes undoubtedly great speakers. Paradigm Phantoms are the speakers responsible for me getting into this high end audio mess to begin with. I'd offer up two suggestions....

Paradigm - Paradigms have a live sound to them. Emphasized treble, in your face bass.

Acoustic Energy - I currently own and immensely enjoy a pair o Acoustic Energy Aegis One's. After living with a pair of Paradigm Monitor's I grew tired of their live performance and I was looking for something a little bit more laid back. I auditioned the then new PSB Image, B&W, JM Labs, and Acoustic Energy. The Acoustic Energy speakers blew away everything. They are amazing.

Currently Acoustic Energy has two models, the Aegis Evo One and the Aegis NEO One. The NEO features some nicer cabinet finishes as well as a ring radiator tweeter. I would buy these unheard if I was in the market and I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone.

Evo One:
ae_aegis_evo_one.jpg

NEO One:
106205.jpg

I bought my Aegis One's right after the Evo One's came out and I got them for $200 and absolute STEAL! I'd imagine with the NEO One's coming out you would be able to find a similar deal on the EVO One's.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 15
I recommend the Atom because Paradigm just drastically restructured their lineup... the Performance series (previous low-end) has been combined with the Monitor series, with the low end falling now to the Cinema series of home theater speakers. Also, the Atom Monitor is more expensive than the old Atom (well worth it; the Monitor series tweeter blows the Performance tweeter out of the water) and tops out the requested price range.

For more serious listening than just home theater, the Atom Monitor is the most budget conscious thing they offer now; the Titan model from the Performance series you are thinking of, RedLeader, no longer exists (just check www.paradigm.com). This is a very recent thing, but IMHO they made the right call. After they expanded the Cinema series, Paradigm had two many speakers available at overlapping price points and this move simplified their lineup considerably, also making their new low-end technology the Monitor tech rather than the Performance tech, which is a very good thing.

Even if the new Titan Monitors were in the price range (they are not even close, with a MSRP of $499), I don't think I would recommend them over the Mini Monitors which are $379. Paradigm has perfected their 6.5" woofer, and to my ear the 8" version doesn't sound quite as good. When I was initially shopping, I thought the Mini Monitor and the Monitor 5 both sounded better than the Monitor 3 (Monitor 5 is what I went with, Mini still exists, Monitor 3 is now the Titan Monitor. Confused? So am I...).

TreAdidas - those sound really interesting, I will have to look for an Acoustic Energy dealer around here and audition a pair of Evos or Neos. Which Monitor did you have? I love my Monitor 5's (version 3, if it matters) and can listen to them for hours on end with no fatigue, but could perhaps use a set of smooth smaller bookshelves for my computer. I'd love to hear a pair of Neos side-by-side with my Monitor 5's, or just get your impression in more detail.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 15
hard to find used for a good reason but the Usher 520 is supposed to be bitchin. I just picked up a "new" demo set for $295 shipped.

I need to go listen to the new paradigms whenever we get a real dealer around here lol. friggin backwater I live in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back