Any recommendations for an open back phone with a bright, crisp sound
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dougM

New Head-Fier
Aloha from Honolulu,
I'm a new member, and this is my first post. I've had Sennheiser HD424 headphones since the 1970s, and although they still work fine, Sennheiser no longer makes replacement drivers for them So, if they ever die I won't be able to repair them. I am therefore looking for recommendations for something that has a similarly bright crisp sound. I tried some Sennheiser 500 series years ago ( I don't remember the exact model), and found them too bassy. When I emailed Sennheiser asking their advice, they recommended the HD25. I've heard the AKG 240 (although it was years ago) and liked them. Does anyone else have any other recommendations for an open back set of 'phones that has a sound similar to the 414 or 424? Some people say that Grado's are bright, but I've read other opinions that say they're warm. So, any help from those more knowledgeable than I would be greatly appreciated. And, Happy Holidays to all.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi,

What will you be plugging the headphones into and what is your budget?

"Bright & Crisp" .....the 1st HP that comes to mind is the Beyerdynamic DT990.It comes in various ohms so you can use it with or w/o an amp,depending upon which model you choose.

I have not heard the HD424,so what is bright to you,might not be bright to me,but nobody will describe the DT990 as "warm".
Grados have a few spikes in the mids>highs that works wonders with certain genres of music(rock/blues).I wouldnt call them warm,but theyre not as bright as the 990s.Theyre also on ear(and not too comfortable IMO) vs. DT990s over ear & very comfortable fit.

Other headphones you can look into are the AKG K7 series,but those pretty much need an amp.

Going farther up the food chain is the Sennheiser HD800.Big $ and good quality amp/DAC pairings are recommended.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 14
What's your budget? I'd look at Beyerdynamic or the HD700. Although I dislike the 700 when I tried it with my Jotunheim, it had a crisp sound, just way too much treble which made it sound like a tin can. I'm sure it just didn't like my amp though.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi,

What will you be plugging the headphones into and what is your budget?

"Bright & Crisp" .....the 1st HP that comes to mind is the Beyerdynamic DT990.It comes in various ohms so you can use it with or w/o an amp,depending upon which model you choose.

I have not heard the HD424,so what is bright to you,might not be bright to me,but nobody will describe the DT990 as "warm".
Grados have a few spikes in the mids>highs that works wonders with certain genres of music(rock/blues).I wouldnt call them warm,but theyre not as bright as the 990s.Theyre also on ear(and not too comfortable IMO) vs. DT990s over ear & very comfortable fit.

Other headphones you can look into are the AKG K7 series,but those pretty much need an amp.

Going farther up the food chain is the Sennheiser HD800.Big $ and good quality amp/DAC pairings are recommended.
I listen to mostly classic rock and blues and will be plugging into an old Kenwood integrated amp and maybe into my guitar amp for late night jamming without bothering my neighbors, 'cause I live in a small studio apt. Trying to keep it under $200, if possible. Thanks for the help.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 14
I listen to mostly classic rock and blues and will be plugging into an old Kenwood integrated amp and maybe into my guitar amp for late night jamming without bothering my neighbors, 'cause I live in a small studio apt. Trying to keep it under $200, if possible. Thanks for the help.

If its a vintage Kenwood then you would be best served grabbing the 250 or 600 ohm version of the DT990.I use vintage gear to drive my headphones and they play very well with high ohm headphones.Meanwhile low ohm headphones like Grados get a nasty case of bass bloat,so I'd nix any 'easy-to-drive' headphones and focus on the DT990.

The Grados I much prefer to the DT990s for rock and blues though...Beyers are dry sounding and a bit sterile,whereas Grados kickass with guitar based music,but theyre most likely not going to match up with the Kenny....Not sure about your guitar amp.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 14
I've heard good things about the HD424, like @monsterzero I have a vintage HD250, they are excellent and they may apeal to you being from that era. However, if you have the budget check out the HD800.

HD700 are awesome, sorry @cossix nowhere near a tin can. But they take some getting use to. Too me I wouldn't define them as crisp, my Denon D2000 actually have more upper treble than the HD700s to put in persective.

However, I will say my HD250 is much more natural than the 700 even though the 700 is livelier. It seems like these older Senns are incredible. Maybe get another 424 for reserve.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 14
I've heard good things about the HD424, like @monsterzero I have a vintage HD250, they are excellent and they may apeal to you being from that era. However, if you have the budget check out the HD800.

I might be going slightly senile but my HD250s just might be my current favorite pair of HPs,including my Atticus and sextetts...They are really good! That being said I wouldnt call them bright at all.Detailed,yes.Extension in gobs on both ends,yes...but not bright.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 14
I might be going slightly senile but my HD250s just might be my current favorite pair of HPs,including my Atticus and sextetts...They are really good! That being said I wouldnt call them bright at all.Detailed,yes.Extension in gobs on both ends,yes...but not bright.

I know its kinda crazy... has that magic that the HD6xx series has but with more extended bass and a more linear high-end! They don't have the technicalities of my HD700 or LCD2 but everytime I put them on they sound so right.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 14

HD700 are awesome, sorry @cossix nowhere near a tin can. But they take some getting use to. Too me I wouldn't define them as crisp, my Denon D2000 actually have more upper treble than the HD700s to put in persective.

However, I will say my HD250 is much more natural than the 700 even though the 700 is livelier. It seems like these older Senns are incredible. Maybe get another 424 for reserve.
That's why I mentioned that it must be my amp :p Because through the Jot, the 700 had far too much treble and sounded extremely hollow and thin. Just like how the ZMF Atticus sounds like garbage through the Jot as well; it sounds like I'm listening to a headphone with a pillow between my ear and the driver. Muffled as hell and way too mid-bassy.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 14
For what it's worth, I'd probably go with one of the cheaper Beyerdynamics as well. From what I've read and going by your "bright" comment, I'd agree with the 990 as well.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT990 is what you're looking for, On NEWEGG right now for $124.99..for the all Black limited edition version. These are my personal favorite open backs.
Sold my HD600 and 650 because these are better IMO..

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Soundmagic very good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back