ANy Recomendation for tube amp to drive 2 speakers and a good headout?
Sep 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skysoul

Head-Fier
Hi:

Been looking around for this combination, 2 bookshelf speakers with a good headout (to drive E9 and HD650). Preferrably, a tube amp.

ANyone can give a good advice?

wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are you looking to spend?

500 range? I know its kind of low...sorry of not to be more specific, am looking at chinese tube amps. As I can get it from CHina website very cheap with free transport, since I have many friends working there.

But I am open to other more expensive options, maybe future upgrades???
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Cary 300SEI?

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 11
No tube amps come to my mind right away, but any of the nad integrateds will drive your headphones and 2 sets of speakers. They sound quite good either way.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 11
Try one of the vintage integrated amps. I know H.H. Scott made one, but look at models from Fisher, Eico, and others. I can't think of the model, but there's a Scott that puts out 25-30W or so, has a headphone jack and is all tubes. Now, you will need to make sure the filter caps are good on a vintage set. Wouldn't hurt to recap it, either. You should be able to find one between $200-$300. No, I haven't heard one, but am in love with my Scott 350B FM receiver. Oh, and Stromberg Carlson made similar units, too.

You might also want to look at the Bottlehead SEX. You'd need very efficient speakers, but it will drive both for (I think) $369.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 11
My Dared MP-5 is pretty good considering how cheap you can get it (shouldn't be over 300 usd max).

Fair HP out, though some have a level of hiss. Good speaker out. 13wpc, so efficient speakers a must again.

It's a hybrid though. tube input stage, chip out.

Super pretty too.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 11
If we're talking about very efficient speakers (95 db or better), or pretty efficient in a near-field configuration, the Glow Audio Amp One, at $488, might be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd look to a quality SS integrated -- NAD, Cambridge Audio, Denon, Onkyo, that sort of thing.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back