Any reasonable upgrades to Grado RS-1s?
Mar 11, 2005 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kmcdonou

100+ Head-Fier
I'm somewhat satisfied at the moment with my upgraded MPX3, Ack Dack 2.0, and RS-1s. However, I would like to know of some reasonable upgrades for the RS-1s. Reasonable is no more than $1500.

I know about the PS-1s, but I haven't got a clear perspective of whether they are a significant upgrade. They are heavier and have much more bass (I am not a basshead, but don't mind if it is well integrated), which do not strike me as big plusses.

I would like to keep my MPX3 or I would consider the AKG 1000s. What else is there that has a nice forward, unveiled sound as the RS-1s, but offers more and is around my budget?

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 22
My answer: Nothing

You can always try ps-1's and hp1000's though.

Biggie.

Mar 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 22
yea, those 2 are sidegrades, not upgrades.. The HP1 sound definatly has nothing to do with the rs1, and sound like it came from a different company...

If you love the rs1 sound, maybe i'm thinking just upgrade another part of your system (source). To spend more on the other stuff at this point seems nominal.

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 22
With the exception of the rs-1s, you really got the best john grado has to offer (ps-1 vs. rs-1 is debateable). You should either get something with a different sound signature, or get a new source. Im getting rs-1's and hd650/zu soon, so im set there, two top of the line cans, two distinct sound signatures, next major upgrade is source, but not for awhile

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 22
Mar 11, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 22
When I heard the PS-1 several weeks ago at a meet, I had never heard the RS-1, only the RS-2. At the time, my impressions were that the PS-1 was almost perfect. I didn't know whether I just get it, or try the RS-1 first. I opted to try the RS-1 first, because I was a tad worried that I couldn't get used the PS-1 bass, and if I was going to get a headphone the price of the PS-1, it better be close to perfect for me. I'm really enjoying the RS-1s right now, but haven't had them long enough to reach any conclusions, and I haven't heard the PS-1s since. However, the ported alpha cpads from Headphile make me think that I could control the bass of the PS-1, so it's all the more tempting.
plainface.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 22
If you haven't tried flat pads then try them. They make the RS-1's to a new pair of headhpones! I think they sound that much different with the flats..
It it's for the better or for the worse you have to decide for yourself. I think it's mostly for the better...

I was also thinking of going for the PS-1 but I think that the price difference between RS-1 is way to big + the PS-1 isn't as comfortable from what I've heard.
In Germany the PS-1 is only 250€ more expensive and in the US the PS-1 is 700 USD more expensive. I guess it's like this because the PS-1 was made for the german market and there the Grado headphones are way more expensive than in the US. If the PS-1 were marketed and sold in the US they would only cost about 900-1000 USD instead of 1400 USD. Maybe they would be a really good buy at that price. For many it's probably a really good buy at 1400 USD though. But I would rather wait for a new line of Grado headphones...

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
When I heard the PS-1 several weeks ago at a meet, I had never heard the RS-1, only the RS-2. At the time, my impressions were that the PS-1 was almost perfect. I didn't know whether I just get it, or try the RS-1 first. I opted to try the RS-1 first, because I was a tad worried that I couldn't get used the PS-1 bass, and if I was going to get a headphone the price of the PS-1, it better be close to perfect for me. I'm really enjoying the RS-1s right now, but haven't had them long enough to reach any conclusions, and I haven't heard the PS-1s since. However, the ported alpha cpads from Headphile make me think that I could control the bass of the PS-1, so it's all the more tempting.
plainface.gif

Curious. It's my understanding that the c pads for the rs-1. hp-2 and ps-1 use a reversible putty-type material for adhesion. For the hp and ps, that wouldn't be an issue but i wonder what long term contact of the rs wood to the adhesive would be? I'm looking for pads and worry that the flats would change the signature of the rs-1 negatively. That led me to the c pads but the adhesive worries me there. Any changes that you can see with yours?

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Im getting rs-1's and hd650/zu...two distinct sound signatures

You are so right. I've a feeling there's going to be serious competition to my Senn love from both the hp-2 and rs-1 when that amp finally arrives.

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 22
I don't live near a major urban area, so don't get many opportunities to audition equipment. I try to make a point to include doing so when I travel. Having said that, I've gone through a lot of stuff trying to piece together my ideal system - still looking, in fact, for that elusive, perfect combination. What I have learned is starting with the best quality source you can afford will go a long, long way toward achieving your goal.

I have also found that, at least for me, there is nothing I have listened to under $1500 that gives me a perfect sound for all moods and music, all the time. I have 3 phones that currently meet my needs. Senn, Sony and Grado . I acquired all three of these phones for less than $1500. They give me a lot of flexibility and pleasure. You can substitute your own brand favorites here. Each company has their own house sound and everyone has their own preferences. Just don't limit yourself to one brand because they all do something better than the others.

Before I would even consider the next step up in phones, I will need to start over with my source. I'm not prepared to do that yet. I don't think you'll see truly huge differences between the top phones in the under $1500 range. The never ending quest....

And, lastly, stay out of the Audio stores and don't ever come back to Head-Fi !
eggosmile.gif
----- sorry about that wallet! --- Tom

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
If you love the rs1 sound, maybe i'm thinking just upgrade another part of your system (source). To spend more on the other stuff at this point seems nominal.

I would have to agree, I see a source upgrade in the very near future. It's amazing how neglected sources are on Head-Fi, people will spend thousands on headphones and amps but seem reluctant to do the same for their source, it's very odd.

A cable swap on the RS-1's might be an option as well, I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this so I don't know what kind of a difference it would make. Before I even considered tweaks such as cable upgrades though I would definately focus on a source. That upgrade has the potential to add a whole new dimension to the RS-1's in your setup.

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 22
kmcdonou,

I think the consensus here, including my own opinion, is that you have a pretty darn nice system there. The RS-1 is one of the best headphones currently produced, and easily contends with those costing much more, imo. The PS-1 may give you a bump in performance, if you happen to prefer where it takes you. But it is more of a preference judgement call, than an outright performance-related one. You may end up wanted to keep both
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Other than that, you can look into rolling some tubes on your MX-3 amp. Sourcewise, I don't know how the AckDack compares to more expensive sources, as I've never heard it. I happen to love my Apogee Mini-DAC with all Grado's I've tried it with, including the SR200, HP-1000, RS-1, and my own hybrid. It's pretty sweet, even using it's own amp section. I am sure there are other sources that could be considered too. That's where I'd look if I were you really wanted to spend money
very_evil_smiley.gif

In the meantime, enjoy what you've got by buying more music!

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 22
HI: Headphile says that the puddy stuff come right off. The C pads will improve the RS-1 sound with better bass and smoother highs with great forward mids plus a better sound stage. A sustantial sound improvement plus great comfort. To go better than the RS-1 will cost bigtime.

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: Headphile says that the puddy stuff come right off. The C pads will improve the RS-1 sound with better bass and smoother highs with great forward mids plus a better sound stage. A sustantial sound improvement plus great comfort. To go better than the RS-1 will cost bigtime.

Thanks. My concern is with long term use and I guess that can't be assessed until more time goes by. For $100 to upgrade the pads, I'll need to be convinced that the putty won't fade or harm the finish on the rs-1's. As for the hp-2's, those darn things just fit my head so well that I probably won't do anything other than get some new flats from Todd.

Appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back