Any reason why I would be disappointed with the iHP-120 over the Zen Xtra?
Feb 24, 2004 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

skiguy411

100+ Head-Fier
I have been thinking about selling my Zen Xtra (40 gb) and buying an iHP-120. I only have about 7 gigs of music (thats over a 2 year period). Is there any reason why I would not like the iHP over the Zen Xtra? I really like the remote, FM tuner, size, and recording features of the iHP.

Also, is there anything coming out that might be worth waiting for?

Feb 24, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 23
Yes. The Xtra, with the Nomad OS, offers some of the best playlisting capabilities. You can add single tracks, or whole albums or artists to the playlist and they can be nested to keep the list clean, or expanded to see all tracks. You can add, remove, and rearrange any items on the playlist. The iHP series does not offer on-the-fly playlisting, but you can build playlists on your computer and import then (.M3U files). Also, the iHP controller is not speed-sensitive like the Xtra's.. so searching through long lists could be tedious in comparison.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 23
another thing to consider is that the Xtra has a replaceable battery, and you can replace the hard drive too (upgradable to 80gb using standard notebook drives).

but the iHP is good too.. decisions, decisions..
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 23
The recording facilities on the IHP-120 are good, but not great. The internal mic picks up the hard drive noise. The recorder has a delay of several seconds before it actually starts recording. The LCD remote may introduce a small amount of noise into any external mic recordings. And lastly, the IHP reportedly (I have verified this) drops milliseconds of audio during recording. This results in barely noticeable clicks.

Even knowing this, I love my IHP-120 especially the LCD remote. Because of the "all powerful" remote, I have no need to remove the IHP and its case from my belt clip padded pouch.

However, I am hoping for a few improvements:

1) Playlist editor like the NJB3
2) Option to play through a folder and its subfolders like the Muvo2
3) Bookmarks like the Nitrus
4) Option to delete files

Since you already have a Zen Xtra, you might consider keeping it and buying the Muvo2 4gb for less than $200. With the optional remote, you have an FM radio, radio recording, voice recording, and it uses Zen Xtra batteries and the Zen power accessories.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 23
Smaller size, recording, and FM are all you get from the iHP.
Do you more good to keep the Zen Xtra, and get something like a iFP 390 for those extras.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 23
Alright well then, is there any reason for me to get the iHP-120 over the Xtra?

I mean can't the main stuff that makes the Zen Xtra better can all be fixed on the iHP-120 with a firmware upgrade? Also, how is the line out? Would it be better than the headphone out of the Xtra? I use my Xtra alot in my car (connected directly to my headunit via a mini stero to L/R RCA cable) and it sounds pretty good.

This is one tuff decision.
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by skiguy411
Alright well then, is there any reason for me to get the iHP-120 over the Xtra?

I mean can't the main stuff that makes the Zen Xtra better can all be fixed on the iHP-120 with a firmware upgrade? Also, how is the line out? Would it be better than the headphone out of the Xtra? I use my Xtra alot in my car (connected directly to my headunit via a mini stero to L/R RCA cable) and it sounds pretty good.

This is one tuff decision.
confused.gif

I traded in my Xtra for an iHP-140, which I greatly prefer. Do a search for both, and you should turn up a thread with a lot of comparisons...both have their advantages, it really just depends what's important to you.

Feb 25, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 23
It's not recommended to stick headphones in a line out... but whatever..
I think the line out is solely for home sound systems. That was what the origional purpose was... I think..

The Zen Xtra is physically better than the iHP (in some ways). You can't fix those things with a firmware update. There are some things about the Zen that are better, and if you get enough people on iRiver forums to request it, for sure iRiver will make a firmware update for it... but there's only so much you can screw with on the firmware.

I don't know.. you should just stick to the player you first got...
What made you want to switch in the first place?

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
It's not recommended to stick headphones in a line out... but whatever..
I think the line out is solely for home sound systems. That was what the origional purpose was... I think..

I know, I was wondering about the line out because I was going to use it to connect it to my head unit on my car. Is that not what is was meant for?

And the reason that I was looking to switch is because I saw that the iRiver had so many more features, but I dunno. I guess Ill just wait for now....

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Well off the top of my head....

FM tuner
Smaller
Line out (optical)
Line in (optical)
Microphone
Shows up as hard drive without any drivers in XP
SRS Wow (I know, not that good, but I have seemed to like it when using it on WMP)
A very nice remote
OGG support

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeffreybar
I traded in my Xtra for an iHP-140, which I greatly prefer. Do a search for both, and you should turn up a thread with a lot of comparisons...both have their advantages, it really just depends what's important to you.

Could you tell a difference in the sound quality between the two?

Feb 26, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by skiguy411
Could you tell a difference in the sound quality between the two?

Yes. They sound different. I won't pretend to offer an objective comparison, since that doesn't seem possible to do. But through my e2cs, I definitely prefer the sound of the iHP-140. This preference is more based on the presence and soundstage of the music than accuracy, since for pure terms of accuracy, the Xtra probably wins. I don't know if that helps or not.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have some way to do so, I would strongly recommend listening to both with your prefered headphones -- I am thoroughly glad that I made the decision I did, but your mileage may vary.

-Jeff

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 23
Heck man.. just buy the iHP from some retail store and return it.
If you're satisfied with it over your Zen Xtra, then return your xTra and buy the iHP somewhere online.
If you don't think the iRiver is worth it after tring it out, then just return it and leave it at that.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 23
i had the chance to audition an ihp 120 and compare it my xtra. er4ps if you're wondering, unamped.

soundwise - the xtra beats the ihp hands down, and not that's not because i own it.

the ihp (like my imp 400) has an imo boosted midrange. forward, yes. coloured, yes. awful? to me, yes. ymmv. the xtra simply, to me, sounds more neutral. and imo the ihp's highs are not as good as the xtras. but it's lows are nice though, but then again, the xtra also matches it there.

ymmv. on the move playlisting is a godsend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back