Any reason not to leave a CD on repeat for 24 hours?
Jan 15, 2003 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I'm breaking in some interconnects and I want to make sure my W1000s are fully broken in. Up until now I have been generally listening during break in periods or at least switching CDs and/or giving my Music Hall MMF-CD25 player some time to cool down after a few CDs.

BUT

Does it need to cool down (or rest for some other reason), or is continuous play no problem for a home cdp? I am asking because I know that computer CD drives and some portables can overheat with continuous use.

(I realize this is a newb question, but I'm a newb when it comes to home cdps, so don't laugh.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Don't fret it. It shouldn't harm anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't worry either. Computer drives overheat because they spin discs at 7000rpm (sometimes faster). I doubt your cdp does that
eek.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks, that's what I figured.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Y not just use a radio ?

I don't have a radio with a 1/4" headphone jack.

Jan 17, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Be careful, I read a post (I dont remember where) in which someone left their MMF cd25 on overnight and it froze and locked up. It wouldnt open even after he unplugged it. Maybe it was just a defect but I wouldnt risk it. Ive been slowly burning my amp in for a few hours every day after work. Do a search on the different audio forums and see what you find.

Jan 17, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 13
While we're on the subject: why do people go through the burn in process?

The gear will burn in as you listen to it. Why run up needless hours on it? Audio reviewers do that because they've got to to a review and ship it back, but for owners, it never made sense to me.

Hey Bundee: I used to live on Parsons & Northern.

Jan 17, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Be careful, I read a post (I dont remember where) in which someone left their MMF cd25 on overnight and it froze and locked up.

Thanks for telling me that. I haven't done it yet, so I don't think I will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

While we're on the subject: why do people go throught the burn in process?

Some stuff, like Senn HD280 headphones, doesn't sound good until it's burned in, which makes burning in more attractive than hours and hours of listening.

I am trying to decide between two interconnects, and I am going to sell the one I don't prefer. Getting the new set burned in quickly is attractive because that means I can sell one quicker.

Jan 17, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
I've left my Rotel spinning for up to a week at a time, with no ill effects. I guess it depends on the quality of the transport (this one has held up for 10 years or so).

Jan 17, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
While we're on the subject: why do people go through the burn in process?

The gear will burn in as you listen to it. Why run up needless hours on it? Audio reviewers do that because they've got to to a review and ship it back, but for owners, it never made sense to me.

One good reason aside from the improvements in sound is to find components that suffer an infant mortality. Electrical components rarely wear out. Most problems are from a manufacturing defect that results in an early death. Once you have burned in a piece for say 250 hours you can be fairly certain that it is not going to fail. For mission critical equipment the Government will pay a manufacturer to burn in components for up to 1000 hours. They will also have parts visually inspected before they are encapsulated. These 1000 hr parts are extremely reliable from the moment they are installed.

Jan 18, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 13
A year or two ago when the new Sony SACD players came out, people were finding that there was a very long break-in period for them. Many people were putting their units on continuous play for days at a time for break-in and there were quite a few complaints of machines that quit working and had to be sent in for repairs. The conclusion by many people was that they were really not designed for continuous use and that there was some risk to doing this.

I tend to agree with this conclusion but I suspect the risk is relatively small. I have tried to avoid playing my CDP (or any component with moving parts) for long periods of time without some cool down time. This seems like common sense to me.

Jan 18, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 13
I accidentally burnt out the laser on my old Pioneer Laserdisc machine when I fell asleep on the remote for it.

The machine was running for two whole days before I came to use it again and noticed it was running.

The cost of repairing this was astronomical and although it was only 18 months old, it had to go in the bin as it was basically unrepairable as parts had ceased production.

Anybody in the UK interesed in 50 laserdics?

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back