Any real competitors to the iPod anymore?
Sep 11, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
I had a discussion with my brother not too long ago, and he asked me an interesting question: "What actual competitors are still around for the iPod?" He hearkened back to the days when the Creative Zen Vision:M, Zune 1G and iPod video were going at it, but now it just seems like the iPod has pretty much free reign in the market. It seems that Creative has more audio players than I have digits on one hand, and there are so many other ones scattered around on AnythingbutiPod.com from Samsung or Sony or iAudio etc. that I can't keep track of them all. So, let's get real, is there any real threat to the iPod anymore? Are we going to have to call upon the powers of the late Arthur Wellington and his friends to recreate an MP3-player version of Waterloo?

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 134
Since the term "ipod" has been engraved in the minds of every non-tech-savvy person in this world, no.

People constantly refer to any and every mp3 player as an ipod, so you can bet that's all they'll think to buy.

I think that these companies aren't putting up much of a fight. To even compete, you have to have at least the basic feature set of an ipod, and nobody has done that yet (at least not current gen models).

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 134
since this forum is sq centric I'll keep my answer that way

A big YES.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 134
When Apple do something they do it on a global scale with high budget marketing campaigns, almost synchronized worldwide product releases etc. I don't think there is anyone else in the game that can compete with that. Most the likes of Cowon\iAudio, iRiver etc release a product by adding a couple of new pages to there web sites in Korea or wherever and then weeks or in some cases months later the products find there way to other countries.

I have never owned an Apple product but I watched the demo videos for the new iTouch and Nano yesterday and they are slick. I don't think any other manufacturer has bought as much innovation to the portable media market over the past few years as Apple has.

Cowons upcoming S9 and O2 do not appear to have anything new and innovative they just seem to be a repackage of features they are using in there existing line-up and even then the first is lacking memory expansion and the second has less than average battery capacity two sought after features that made the D2 so popular.

Microsoft try hard with the Zune but despite their unlimited funds they can't seem to match the Apple WOW factor in any of their products, their latest advertising campaign with Sienfeld is testament to that.

Even an old iPhobe like me can feel the "Dark Side" calling.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 134
The Touch MAKES you think Apple are GODS!!!! I hate to admit it but that thing is HOTT!!!!

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 134
apple have a better marketing and distribution strategy. Here in India Apple Ipod is the most easily available MP3 player, with apple stores coming up everywhere + 250+ listing on Ebay india selling ipods + each and every electronic stores having the full range of ipods.

same is not the case with other companines, Microsoft zune not released in india, Archos & Iriver are not available.

creative is available but their products are hard to find in the market. cowon D2 and iaudio 7 are the only players from cowon available here and they are grossly overpriced. u will need to use a microscope to search for samsung players in the market. Sandisk players can be found online only.

so basically Apple Ipod is the only player that people can get their hands on very easily and thats why it controls the market here.

But we do have to give credit to apple for releasing such out of the world products like the ipod, touch & iphone. do u remember any company interested in releasing a feature rich touch screen + multimedia phone, before apple came out with the iphone?
also arent these apple products most beautiful of the lot?

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the term "ipod" has been engraved in the minds of every non-tech-savvy person in this world, no.

People constantly refer to any and every mp3 player as an ipod, so you can bet that's all they'll think to buy.

The name "iPod" has gone the way of the "Xerox machine", "Kleenex" or "Band-Aid", as far as brand recognition is concerned. I don't think we'll see that change anytime, soon. The Zune has made a small dent, but Apple still dominates.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 134
for me? Yeah. Just about everything is fair game to me. I personally think ipods are overpriced / overrated and wouldn't buy one unless it REALLY impressed me.

For everyone else? Probably not
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 134
ode to consumerism...

Jobbs made a great move with the ipod, and their growth and brand strategy has been amazing.

the design and fucntionality of the ipod is amazing.

sq wise they are ok.

I think that apple is raising the bar for everyone else. which is good for us.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 134
Differs from person to person depending on needs. For example I wouldn't even consider using a player that doesn't have gapless; this leaves only two non-iPod players that I'd think of as competition to the iPod: Zune and Vibez.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ode to consumerism...

Jobbs made a great move with the ipod, and their growth and brand strategy has been amazing.

the design and fucntionality of the ipod is amazing.

but this is 'head-fi'.

Yes, it is, and iPods sound awesome. Particularly the iPhone 3G, which is easily the best sounding DAP ever made from the HP out, in my opinion. To answer the OP, no. The iPod pretty much has a monopoly on the DAP market.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 134
CNET NANO 4G FULL REVIEW

"easily the best sounding DAP ever made from the HP out" hmm thats a big call for the iphone 3g mr D...when i auditioned it, the sound was good enough...but i wouldnt describe it as great...maybe I should give it another listen!

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 134
I'd say that Sandisk and Microsoft are the main competitors, and then iAudio as well, but they're not that well-known as the two aforementioned companies.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 134
i would say that sansa competes to some extent with their clip, although they mainly compete with the shuffle. The zune may compete with the classic, but the touch is really in a league of its own (i just ordered the new 16gb yesterday). It seems that only people with specific reasons for not buying ipods purchase other DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back