Any Queen fans out there?
May 17, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 55
^^^ Have you read the reviews in "Rolling Stone"? I never understood why the critics never liked them... After reading the review about "Queen II", I decided to give a try to "Genesis", I understand they claimed "Queen II" a bad copy of "Selling England by the pound" from Genesis. I think that is nonesense, and I much more prefer "Queen II". Not that Genesis is bad, but it is definately different.
I agree that they sound at times similar to other bands, but I still do not know any band that has relased about 20 studio albums, and all of them are completely original and without any influence. It is plain silly.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #49 of 55
I'm a little young to say that I absolutely love Queen, but I do! They're seriously one of my favorite bands to listen to with headphones, absolutely amazing recordings, and Freddies voice is amazing!

I actually have that Platinum Collection coming in the mail sometime soon, I bought it at Amazon but it shipped Airmail from Australia so it'll take a while, I'm excited!

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does abba compare with queen?

you're kidding, right?
eggosmile.gif

Besides being famous in the same time, i think there's not much to compare here: Trouthfull ROCK (the capital letters are there for a reason^^) against
melodic pop music.

and btw.: the best way to listen to Queen is to buy the japan mini-vinyl remastered edition. Absolutely stunning quality compared to the original cd releases.
500145.jpg
500147.gif
500151.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #51 of 55
Huge Queen fan here as well. I actually got started on them from Greatest Hits I & II and then started listening to the CD's that my brother had (he has every album they ever released bar a few compilation ones).

Amazing band, great muscians and Freddie's voice was just on a totally different level to anything that I've ever heard before or since. I also have to give out great praise to Brian May though - as a (very) amateur guitar player it's amazing to hear what he could do with the instrument.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Queen has recently released a 3CD "Platinum Collection" in re-mastered form, and this should be all the Queen anyone should need. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...208097-4159662

If I had a choice of the 3CD Platinum set, or a 3CD set of Queen material not included in that set, I'd go for the set of my own choosing without a second thought. Many of my favourite Queen songs - "Liar", "Dear Friends", "Nevermore", "Lily of the Valley", "The Prophet's Song", "My Fairy King", "The Dreamer's Ball", "My Melancholy Blues", "Don't Try Suicide", "Liar", "White Queen (As It Began)", "In The Lap of the Gods", "Teo Torriatte", "All Dead, All Dead", and "It's Late" - aren't there, and amongst the total dreck that is we get: "Headlong", "It's a Hard Life", "Great Pretender", "Barcelona", "Invisible Man", "The Miracle", "Friends Will Be Friends" and, wait for it, "Driven By You"!
blink.gif
Calling the Platinum collection a good one-volume Queen is so wrong that I've got to think that markl hasn't listened to much Queen at all.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Queen?

Umm... YES!

The question should be: Is there anyone who DOESN'T like Queen?

x2! One of the very best rock bands ever! I love the early stuff.Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack are great.Well,so are The Miracle,Innuendo,A kind of Magic...The only weak LPs are maybe Hot Space and Jazz,but you can still find there two or three good songs.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and btw.: the best way to listen to Queen is to buy the japan mini-vinyl remastered edition. Absolutely stunning quality compared to the original cd releases.
[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Have a link (hopefully with decent prices)? I find the Japanese and French "Mini LPs" to be superior almost 100% of the time, but I usually have to get lucky finding them... and paying almost $50. [img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/frown.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #55 of 55
I bought all of my ones from amazon.de (that's Germany) and paid about 19€ per CD.

I took a look, and amazon.ca carries them as well, but for about 49 Cn$...

On ebay there's a seller from Hong Kong ("unixsystem") who sells them for 13US$ + 7$ for shipping. He seems to have quite good feedback.

Or i could sell you my "Hot Space" and "Flash Gordon" Cds
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
, which in a stupid mixup I bought twice. They have been sitting on my shelf for quite some time now in all their glory....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back