Any Queen fans out there?
Nov 6, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Ya gotta get the DCC release of this title--trust me...

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev301.htm

pigmode
Is it better than the DVD-A version?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev301.htm

pigmode
Is it better than the DVD-A version?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have a DVD-A player--yet. The DCC version has a clear, rich and lively sound, and can sound great on a wide range of systems. It might depend on whether you like the Steve Hoffman sound or not. I know DA is not too impressed.

(XA 777 review?)

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

I don't have a DVD-A player--yet. The DCC version has a clear, rich and lively sound, and can sound great on a wide range of systems. It might depend on whether you like the Steve Hoffman sound or not. I know DA is not too impressed.

(XA 777 review?)

Sorry, I'm not very good with industry names so I'm not sure what Hoffman recordings I've heard.

XA review is at least a few weeks away and I have at least 4 reviews that I'll be doing before that, possibly 5. By then I expect to have no remaining credibility.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #20 of 55
Nov 7, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Queen has recently released a 3CD "Platinum Collection" in re-mastered form, and this should be all the Queen anyone should need.

More greatest hits pushing. If Katel ever starts an SACD division, they'll know who to call for marketing. This thread began by someone asking if there were Queen fans. Fans, by definition, listen to more than just the songs that are played on the radio.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
More greatest hits pushing. If Katel ever starts an SACD division, they'll know who to call for marketing. This thread began by someone asking if there were Queen fans. Fans, by definition, listen to more than just the songs that are played on the radio.

I don't own a single Queen hits collection. I have the albums and this is the best way to listen to them.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
I don't own a single Queen hits collection. I have the albums and this is the best way to listen to them.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M

Of course, I agree completely.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Great, then all fans should spend lots of money buying all the old Queen albums from 12-15 years ago, not re-mastered and in poor sound quality. How mant fans require more than 3CDs worth of Queen? Any but the most devoted??

Mark

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Great, then all fans should spend lots of money buying all the old Queen albums from 12 years ago, not re-mastered and in poor sound quality. How mant fans require more than 3CDs worth of Queen? Any but the most devoted??

The ones in this thread. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read it.

Nov 7, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 55
I'll stand by Steve Hoffman's remaster. Go ahead and compare the two. If you don't think his Opera disc is the better, I'll buy it from you. With most rock remasters, you stand a 50% chance of getting crap

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Great, then all fans should spend lots of money buying all the old Queen albums from 12-15 years ago, not re-mastered and in poor sound quality. How mant fans require more than 3CDs worth of Queen? Any but the most devoted??

Mark

Ummm....the discs I have do not have poor sound quality. When Queen signed to Hollywood Records, their new record company did a complete remastering of all discs. I would not buy the DVD-A multi-channel version, as I don't think that it is relevant experience of what Queen intended with those particular releases.

To me the label remastering is just another CPG (consumer package goods) label. You know, like "New and Improved", and all that BS stuff. Marketer's love people like you. They use you as a beta taster and you pay for the privilege. They call you an early adopter. Just because something is remastered does not mean it is better than the previous version, a lot of times it is just different.

I guess we can apply your 3 CD criteria to all artists then. So let's just delete entire catalogs and make a box set for them instead. Ridiculous.

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

I'll stand by Steve Hoffman's remaster. Go ahead and compare the two. If you don't think his Opera disc is the better, I'll buy it from you. With most rock remasters, you stand a 50% chance of getting crap

pigmode
I wasn't asking you for a guarantee.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was only wondering if you'd heard the DVD-A as well.

I logged onto DCC's web site and the link to their complete CDs list was broken. I suspect this isn't the best place to order from anyway?

I'm actually fairly broke until after Christmas, so this is really only for future reference, I guess.

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #30 of 55
Now we're getting OT, but:

Quote:

To me the label remastering is just another CPG (consumer package goods) label. You know, like "New and Improved", and all that BS stuff. Marketer's love people like you. They use you as a beta taster and you pay for the privilege.

Without exception, every re-mastered CD I've heard from around 98 to present (and in some cases as far back as '95) sound infinitely better than the original issues from the 80's to early 90s, and yes, I've replaced a lot of my old CDs with the re-mastered versions. The technology has changed and improved since most Redbook discs were first issued. I'm not the only one that replaces his favorite older discs with modern re-masters.
wink.gif
If you're happy with the older versions, good for you.

Quote:

I would not buy the DVD-A multi-channel version, as I don't think that it is relevant experience of what Queen intended with those particular releases.

BTW, all DVD-A discs like SACDs have a hi-rez two-channel version. Also, Brian May re-mastered A Night at the Opera and said that this is how they would have done it back then if they'd had the technology.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back