Any potential for a portable DVD MP3 player?
Jun 8, 2005 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
Or what I mean to say, is something around the size of a portable CD player, that can read mp3s off a data-DVD? I've looked around, and I'm pretty sure that there's nothing like that now, but is there any chance that someone will try manufacturing something like this?

I, for one, would love something like that. Since something super-portable isn't too important too me (I would get a flash-based player for that purpose,) getting 4.7 GB worth of music on one disk would completely obliterate my need for a HD player to carry a very large amount of music at once. Just carry the player and <10 DVD-R's and I have everything I would need. As of now, I'm skeptical of HD-based players because of high prices, higher (than I would like) failure rates, and less-than-great return policies.

Would anyone else be interested in a product like this?

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 35
Nothing? I guess this topic might not make much sense, I'm just bringing up a thought I had. I won't be bumping the thread after this.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Nothing? I guess this topic might not make much sense, I'm just bringing up a thought I had. I won't be bumping the thread after this.

well then if you're not bumping the thread, I will.

I currently have a Sony D-NS921F MP3 CD player. It is VERY rugged - have dropped it multiple times over the couple years I've owned it and it still works perfectly.

I would like to get something that plays DVDs that's preferably the same size and built at least as rugged. I'm willing to give up the FM, TV, and weather (but not the AM) tuner. Another plus would be a large color LCD screen for photo viewing, and an input jack for recording to mp3 or wave.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Nothing? I guess this topic might not make much sense, I'm just bringing up a thought I had.

I had a similiar thought a while back. Not much response back then either:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=dvd

I guess it depends on the portable DVD player, so you have to experiment.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 35
I certainly would. I'd especially like a headunit for my car stereo that would play mp3s on DVDs. I think they might have some out already that will do that actually.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 35
For years I've been wanting a portable dvd/mp3 player but have not found anything worth while. Several years ago, it was rumoured the iRiver would release one, but they never did. Probably the market is currently too small for such a thing.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 35
Basically, if Sony would just re-release the D-NS921F as a DVD MP3 player instead of a CD MP3 player, and add a line-in port and have all the direct encoding options that the iriver 7xx and 8xx series have, I'd probably be satisfied for now. Oh, I'd have to be able to get the DVD player for no more than whatever I could sell my CD player for, maybe + $40 to $50.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
For years I've been wanting a portable dvd/mp3 player but have not found anything worth while. Several years ago, it was rumoured the iRiver would release one, but they never did. Probably the market is currently too small for such a thing.

Yeah. There probably aren't enough people with DVD-burners yet, and that would be pretty necessary for using such a product. Oh, and I'd probably pay around $140 tops for something like that.

Portable DVD Players are something I didn't think of considering. Of course, the size of those run pretty large relative to CD players, right?

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 35
there is, sony doesnt make it anymore. costs A LOT.... so i guess there was

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
yeah thats the one

Ugh...it would be much more reasonably priced if it didn't have that CD-burning feature (which is supposed to be pretty lousy anyway.) A one-line display doesn't help much either. The cheapest I can find it new is $165.

(Also, no one go after that auction, it doesn't come with the remote and all of the buttons for the player are contained on the remote.)

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kschul2
I certainly would. I'd especially like a headunit for my car stereo that would play mp3s on DVDs. I think they might have some out already that will do that actually.

Yes, there are some already. For example the JVC KD-DV5100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back