Any Portal 2 fans out there?
May 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #16 of 38

Quote:
That's pretty easy to counter-argue. For example all we do when we play games is stare at a screen and push buttons. If you put it like that, pretty much any game is generalizable hence can be pigeonholed.

biggrin.gif

There's always at least one party pooper wherever you go. A fact of life but to each his own. Haha.

rofl nice :)  

I will take a terribly funny and brain twisting game over a button masher with no end result any day.   I wish I had replica's of the turrets and Wheatly that could take to me :[ And for anyone interested, enjoy

http://www.cavejohnsonhere.com/

May 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 38
I for one loved it very much. I felt it was a huge improvement over the first and the ending is awesome. Cave Johnson is awesome as well. The design, voice acting and story line were top notch and I enjoyed it immensely.

May 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 38
I recently finished it and I absolutely loved it.

Better than the original in every way (voice acting, script/storylines, length). 

It the was the first game in a long time that I didn't want to end.

May 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 38
I'm curious how many people played on console vs. computer. I'm not very good at games and get easily frustrated when games get too difficult, but Portal 2 was just way too easy for me and it's the main point against it I think. It's essentially a puzzle game and the puzzles were too easy so that's my viewpoint. The common line is that it was made easier for console players.

The main problem with the first one was it was too short. If you spent time looking around the little clues and hints about the world were really well done. Something that carried over to the sequel.

May 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 38
It was dumbed down so more people could enjoy it.  Again, the games focus was not about puzzle solving like the first one.  It was a 180 degree turn from part 1 which I enjoyed very much.  Minimal puzzle solving and difficulty but with a pure genius story and overall fun experience. 

I'm sure advanced stages will appear soon just like part 1.

May 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 38
I played about an hours worth of the co-op at a friends house and thought it was fantastic. The dialog, character design, level design and difficulty were all perfect IMO. I can't think of a puzzle game that comes even close. I will eventually get it myself and play the single player campaign. 

May 29, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 38
I was extremely disappointed with the sequel. The first was, and still is, one of my favorite games. 

I've only played the single player.

The robot at the beginning was annoying, and...

... you could immediately tell the ending. You could tell that the robot would take over the company and be would turn against you, straight from the opening scene where he complains about being small. 

Also, the puzzles were WAY too easy. And because of the difficulty (or lack thereof) the game dragged until the final boss, which was done in a heartbeat (but so was portal 1). 

And I was hoping for a harder difficulty, but no. Once you beat one playthrough, there is no harder difficulty.

GLADOS wasn't as funny either, with her constant bickering and insults (which I didn't find funny).

However, the humor picked up when the man started narrating. I played the second half for the humor.

What I enjoyed about portal 1 was the emptyness. You were alone. No annoying sidekicks. NO potatoes. The whole place was desolate, except for GLADOS, whose banter was amusing and clever. The puzzles actually required thought too. For the most part, there were no clear ways to solve the puzzle, and you could solve it in different a couple ways if you were clever. Portal 2 was not so. You had one way to solve the game, all the way to the end.

May 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #24 of 38
Still working on it.  So far my impressions are that the first one was more entertaining.  But maybe it's because it was 'new' to me?  There's a lot more of GlaDOS talking this time, which is probably over-doing it.  It's still fun though.

May 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #25 of 38
Portal 2 is definitely one of my favorite games. Played the first one but it felt it was lacking something, the second one surpasses all my expectations and manages to become one of my favorite games of all time.

May 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
I was extremely disappointed with the sequel. The first was, and still is, one of my favorite games. 

Also, the puzzles were WAY too easy. And because of the difficulty (or lack thereof) the game dragged until the final boss, which was done in a heartbeat

Well, I feel terrible about myself now, lol.  I recall three rooms that got me stumped, but all of them were a result of not believing a jump of that distance was even possible.  

May 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
Well, I feel terrible about myself now, lol.  I recall three rooms that got me stumped, but all of them were a result of not believing a jump of that distance was even possible.  

There was one room that had me stumped good, the rest were fairly straight-forward. Also, these types of puzzle games are by far my favorite games to play, so I am quite good at them.

May 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 38
I got stuck a couple times in the Old Aperture section cause I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go since the rooms were so large. In the first game I got stuck knowing where I was supposed to go, but not being able to figure out how to get there.

Quote:

May 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 38
The elevator jump got me stuck for a long time, I was like damn what the hell am I supposed to do.  Clearly there is another place way over yonder to portal to that has funny cave johnson quotes when you try to open the locked doors, but how the hell do i get over to that other railing.  I got frustrated and went on youtube and I smacked myself in the face when I realized there was a suitable portal location at the bottom of the elevator shaft, pop one down there and the other over where the funny quotes were, drop down and get flung over to that busted railing....i was like ARHHHHHRGGGGGG lol

:[

but yes, i agree for the most part the game was very easy and made to be that way, I am hoping Portal 3 is much more advanced and takes days to finish instead of hours

May 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
The elevator jump got me stuck for a long time, I was like damn what the hell am I supposed to do.  Clearly there is another place way over yonder to portal to that has funny cave johnson quotes when you try to open the locked doors, but how the hell do i get over to that other railing.  I got frustrated and went on youtube and I smacked myself in the face when I realized there was a suitable portal location at the bottom of the elevator shaft, pop one down there and the other over where the funny quotes were, drop down and get flung over to that busted railing....i was like ARHHHHHRGGGGGG lol

:[

but yes, i agree for the most part the game was very easy and made to be that way, I am hoping Portal 3 is much more advanced and takes days to finish instead of hours

That "what the **** do I do" thought process is why I enjoy playing puzzle games. 

I might have bashed it a bit, but that was only in comparison to the first. I'd still give it a 8/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back