Any other pad options for MS1 besides 414 and Grado pads?
Dec 8, 2006 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Ive spent the last few days really concentrating on getting best sound,most comfortable fit for my MS1.Started with reverse 414 and then reverse comfies and found both not as comfortable and a bit dull in sound compared to non-reversed comfies and 414 with whole driver mod in place.The sound seemed to really energize itself and detail and soundstage opened up when I tried non-reversed wearing of 414 and comfies.My ears are fairly big and flat to my head thus my ears did not touch the driver yet I can see small ears would cause a problem with non-reversed and whole driver exposed.I had to lower my volume on my mp3 player when i switched from reversed to non-reversed pads in both comfies and 414.Everything just seemed to get so much brighter.Im just wondering if any other replacement pads for other phones have been tried for the Grado line?Would be great to get a soft,leathery pad to rest on ears but Im sure it would effect the sound quality.Im presently using non-reversed 414 since comfies in this mode were just a tad less comfortable in that they heated up my ears a bit but still pretty wearable.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 11
....sorry....missed this thread till now.

Have you taken a look at Larrys' C-pads on the Headphile web site?

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 11
you guys are missing the best pad available for any headphone ever

THE YELLOW DUCK PAD!!!

10.jpg

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=yellow+duck

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks but pads costing more than the MS! is a bit too pricy for me.

Yup!
tongue.gif

.....oops....the littlest one just spotted the yellow duckies!!

I'm in trouble now!!

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive spent the last few days really concentrating on getting best sound,most comfortable fit for my MS1.Started with reverse 414 and then reverse comfies and found both not as comfortable and a bit dull in sound compared to non-reversed comfies and 414 with whole driver mod in place.The sound seemed to really energize itself and detail and soundstage opened up when I tried non-reversed wearing of 414 and comfies.My ears are fairly big and flat to my head thus my ears did not touch the driver yet I can see small ears would cause a problem with non-reversed and whole driver exposed.I had to lower my volume on my mp3 player when i switched from reversed to non-reversed pads in both comfies and 414.Everything just seemed to get so much brighter.Im just wondering if any other replacement pads for other phones have been tried for the Grado line?Would be great to get a soft,leathery pad to rest on ears but Im sure it would effect the sound quality.Im presently using non-reversed 414 since comfies in this mode were just a tad less comfortable in that they heated up my ears a bit but still pretty wearable.

Pad options available for Grado (and Alessandro) phones:
- Bowls (around $10/pair)
- Flats (around $30/pair)
- Comfies (what you have already)
- Senn 414 pads (what you have already)
- Headphile C-pads (from $119/pair)

It looks like the bowl and/or flat pads are the next best alternative choices for you. The C-pads is indeed pricey for the MS-1 and fit can be tricky. I'm myself still learning to get the best fit of the C-pads with my MS-2 (and I can't say I'm liking the sound at the moment).

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back