Any Other Jiu-jitsu Players or Other Martial Artists Out-There?
Apr 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Socrates3000

100+ Head-Fier
I have been doing modern Jiu-jitsu for a while, and I am a 10th planet purple belt under Gerald Strebendt who is a black belt under Eddie Bravo. Some of the people I have trained under are Alberto Crane and Marcus Lewis. I am wondering if I am unusual @ head-fi as headphone listening seems to be a more sedentary activity or if there are any other martial artists like me on board. 

I would love to hear from you and what your experiences are--

May 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 43
Well I've learned Tae Kwon Do and Praying Mantis before but that's a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago. I once wanted to start all over again with Aikido but work took its toll and I gave up..

May 1, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 43
Ya. It can be hard to balance martial arts and other things in life. It can be so easy to miss a class. It takes so much, and before you know it, it can be taking over other parts of your life like your diet, and then you have to work out, and you might spend time thinking about it and watching tutorials. And this could go on for years. 

May 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 43
I used to do Aikido and have long thought of beginning again. Part of the reason I quit was that, in the West, there is a lot of BS and politics in many of the arts, which isn't as bad in Japan. I would rather practice in a traditional dojo, where nobody has any rank, save for the traditional concept of junior and senior: If someone started before you, they are senior. If they started after, they are junior. :)

May 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 43
I started with Taekwondo. After a break I started seriously practicing for two years again. I'm not the competitive guy, though, so I didn't participate in championships or ever intended to do so. I drifted off to Jiu-Jitsu then, for self defense. I also did some Modern Self Defense, which is basically the street version of any Jitsu.

I eventually found a good Wing Chun trainer who started recruiting me to start a new school with his name. However, our connection never got personal and I found him to be very greedy. When I ripped my eardrum in training, I used it as an excuse to quit Kung Fu.

I'm still searching for a new master but I sadly have very little time at the moment.

The connection to headphones/music is simple: dedication. I try to put my heart into everything I do. The more you put into something, the greater the reward. At first I practiced to protect my self and when I found myself capable enough, I trained harder to protect my wife. Since then it has only been for myself - challenge and improvement was my main motivation. I thus enjoyed martial ARTS much more than practical self defense or sports like MMA.

May 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 43
I prefer the ARTS aspect too, Ultrazino. When I roll with people in jiu-jitsu, I am usually more interested in trying new moves or creating something than tapping the other person out. 

May 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 43
I've practiced Shotokhan Karate for 6 years some years back and got my first dan black belt. But then unfortunately quit due to school. ( how much I regret that ). From the regret that built up I jumped around the martial arts band wagon once again and did a few things but never really stuck and committed for some reason.
Practiced Systema (a Russian martial art) for 4 months, boxing for 2 and Brazillian jiujitsu for a year. Now im feeling that craving come back once again, but im way to busy with school (im horrible at multitasking) and I'm in my final year at University, hopefully.

As soon as I finish there's no doubt that I'm hitting dojos again for good this time. I want to try out Hapkido this time around.

Thats my short story.

May 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 43
I have taken Aikido, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, and a bit of Ninjitsu. Pretty much taken martial arts through out my life. I have really been wanting to take Wing Chun though lately, but am afraid of starting a class because I will have to move in a few months to go to college. Bummer.

May 5, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 43
I followed through with Tang-Soo-Do for about 3-4 years and quit because we were moving to India. In India, there were several instructors for Tae-Kwon-Do but none for Tang-Soo-Do, so I never got back into it again.

May 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 43

Quote:
I followed through with Tang-Soo-Do for about 3-4 years and quit because we were moving to India. In India, there were several instructors for Tae-Kwon-Do but none for Tang-Soo-Do, so I never got back into it again.

I'm guessing you really liked Tang Soo Do. What about did you like?

May 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 43
There wasn't anything really particular i liked more about Tang Soo Do than Tae Kwon Do. When I was little and told my parents I wanted to pursue Karate, they signed me up for the cheapest instructor they could find which happened to be Tae Kwon Do. When we moved to India, non of the instructors would take me one because they follow age as well as degree and I was too old for their white belt groups and they wouldn't test me into one of the higher groups, so i just sort of dropped out of Karate in general.

May 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 43
I did wushu then sanshou and lately MMA up until a couple of years ago. Then I got married and my wife wasn't a fan of watching me straddle other men while repeatedly hitting them repeatedly in the face. Then on day out of sheer boredom I decided to research getting new headphones for my ipod and wound up here. The rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back