any one got their K701 yet?
Nov 18, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]
I love high clarity (that is, details!, details!
rs1smile.gif
) with great frequency balance and transparency. Soundstage, or as Darthnut more accurately says, headstage, with three dimensional characteristics is a growing interest of mine now that I am starting to focus more on home phones rather than portable ones. When phone manufacturers can correct for most of these features fairly well within the same phone, it will result in a reasonably accurate phone (e.g., the Joe Grado HP1/2, although their headstage is not nearly as impressive as other phones).

The K701 may be one of the few special phones which come close to scoring high on my criteria.
[/size]

Check out the Beyerdynamic DT-880 as well! Soundstage-wise it's very, very satisfying (to my ears anyway).

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
they should arrive at Headroom early this week, according to one sales rep. so they should be shipped by the end of the week...
eggosmile.gif

Got mine from TTVJ this afternoon.
biggrin.gif

BW

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Thoughts?!

Too early yet. Give me a little time to listen and I'll post some impressions.
wink.gif

BW

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Check out the Beyerdynamic DT-880 as well! Soundstage-wise it's very, very satisfying (to my ears anyway).

[size=small]
I've heard the DT880's before and liked it as an all-around phone. Yet it lacked the clarity of the AKG K501, which I was about to put money down for when the K601/K701 announcements broke. I know the K501 was low in bass quantity without a amp having sufficient beef. However, my new Pocket Reference II (PR) amp obviates any concerns of the K501's bass or that of similar phones. This tiny amp has power to burn!, and anything less than a K1000 should be sufficiently driveable.

In any regard, it would appear that the K701 amends some of the K501's bass concerns and also fixes the soundstage/headstage depth problem of the K501. The K501 is famous for its wide but shallow soundstage. If the K701 is as balanced in the frequency range and is as three dimensional as a few experienced members have noted, and if it possesses the glorious crystal clear midrange of the K501, then it should be relatively easy to tweak its deficiencies.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back