Any of you guys audiophiles and minimalists? How's your audio setup like?
Apr 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jjacq

Playing Upgraditis Mania
I've been wanting to be minimalist for a while and I'm trying to figure out the right balance between having enough and having audio gear I'm satisfied with. Anyone on the same boat?

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Gym buds (klipsch s4)

Portable cans (VMODA M100)

Home cans (FAD PH6)

VMODA Vamp Verza for my amp/DAC.

I think I'm about as basic as you can get and still count as "high-end". One pair of headphones for my various situations and a usb-powered DAC/amp combo that I can clip to my phone. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 6
I never would have thought it possible, but this is having your cake and eating it too. I could just about replace my entire hot and heavy rack of components with this and a pair of re-cabled HD-800s:

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I use a pair of modded Yuin PK3's (which I bought on eBay for $20) plugged into my Nexus 4 for casual and mobile listening, largely done through Rdio. When I want to settle in and really lose myself in some outstanding music, I pop a CD (just bought Ludovico Einaudi's Divenire, and it's... sublime!) into my old Panasonic portable CD player, which feeds via line out, through a JDS Labs Objective 2, my beloved HiFiMAN HE-400. And there you have it: two paths to musical bliss with minimal complication, size and price. One is obviously a bit more serious than the other, but both serve their purpose very well.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 6

Samsung Galaxy S3 >USB OTG> Meier Corda Cantate.2 (USB input) >analog cable> HD600
Others: Power strip with surge protection, automatic voltage regulator

Portable: Galaxy S3+Aurisonics ASG-1

---

Up until 2011 I was using my Marantz CD60 an HD600, plugged straight into the headphone output on the CD player.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 6
I would consider myself extremely minimalist with just one pair of Headphones (Ultrasone HFI-780s at the moment) in my possession at a time. I started off, many years ago, with just the Denon d1000s and then sold them to fund my current Ultrasone purchase. I have a Sony mp3 player and a Fiio E5 as well. I keep it simple because I have to though (frugal med student).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back