Any of these amps for Grados?
Jul 13, 2003 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DLP

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a confused newb when it comes to amplification. I get most of the basics, but some things I'm confused about like when someone says impedance mismatch, a phrase I see a lot with Grado headphones. So I've got a list of amps (kinda) that I'm considering for my Grado SR125 which I recently got and possibly for a pair of SR225 (I like the SR125 sound a lot, thinking about trading and/or stepping up). So here are the amps I'm considering:

Gilmore V2 Lite
Does anyone think the power supply difference between the lite and the regular will make that much of a difference? At $250, what can does anyone think can do better? I realize nobody has even heard this amp, so most answers to this will probably be theoretical, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Gilmore V2
I'm thinking why dilly daddle with the cheaper ones and just go for the gold? It will take a bit more saving up and some more time, but I can get it if it's really worth it. The reason why I mention the Gilmore amps is I've seen it mentioned that they are a great match for Grados.

META42 from JMT/TIGGER/FIDDLER/etc
Would I be better off asking JMT or whoever else builds amps for a $250 to $300 META42 for a Grado? Bang for buck, can I get something here that's better than the Gilmore V2?

Any other amp suggestions welcome up to the price of a Gilmore V2, though if you mention any others, please at least link to or mention where I can find more info on the amp and where it can be purchased. I'd like to avoid Tube amps only because that requires more money after the initial purchase as I understand it, and I don't have that kind of money. Any other commentary or suggestions are welcome too. Thanks in advance!

Jul 13, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm getting my Meta tomorrow. I'll let you know how it sounds with Grado (bright vs balanced, transparent, etc)

--OK, I got my Meta.

1. The ICs I'm using aren't burned in.
2. The Meta42 isn't burned in.

It sounds wonderful with my SR225s. The lows are extended and more powerful. It easily reduces the brightness I used to get straight out of the D25S' headphone jack.

Jul 13, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 18
I've heard the Gilmore v1 with Grado's, and it is a great match. Especially for rock music. I can only infer that the v2 is at least as good, if not better. If you need a home amp, and have the cash, it is a solid choice.

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 18
If you can afford the Gilmore V2 then I would also suggest the Singlepower MPX3

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 18
What I need: A smallish amp, I think the size of a Gilmore V2 would do just nicely. Something flatter than taller is better, and in general the smaller the better.

What I don't need: Multiple inputs (not that I won't buy anything with multiple inputs, they just don't add any value for me), portable or even semi-transportable (doesn't need to run on batteries and I would prefer it doesn't, doesn't need to be pocket sized or anything), just one HP jack.

So based on that, would it be smarter to just go for the Lite? Or still look to save up? While I'd like to get the regular V2, it'd take me another month or two to save up for it. With the Lite, I'd probably be able to order it in 2 or 3 weeks, and I'd really like to see what my SR125 can really do (they sound pretty good out of my portable Minidisc recorder with 10mW per channel at 32 ohms, but I can hear that they don't seem to be doing their best). Any other input from you guys?

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 18
well, i generally don't want to buy anything that nobody has ever heard of before. i think the power supply was a big part of the original gilmore v2, so i think you should wait (i know, it's a 50 usd difference ...) before pulling the trigger.

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 18
I haven't heard a Gilmore, but Zanth didn't like the Gilmore V2 paired with Grados. Seems Grados are too bright and lean on bass with the Gilmore. You could add an RA-1 to your list since they clearly pair very well, or just go for a nice CHA47, which also goes well with Grados.

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 18
i'll post a review on the lite versus my meta when i get them.. in about a month... well.. add a week or two to that (need burn in time)... i will sell the one i dislike... and my meta is the same as duncans... cept it has generic jacks.

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 18
I have listened to the Grado SR-60, HP-2, and RS-1 on my Gilmore V2. In no way are these headphones bass deficient with the Gilmore. The bass is solid and full with this pairing. There may be better choices I haven't heard but I think they work well together.

Jul 16, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 18
I have a Meta42, and the SR-225 running on bowls. I think the combination has pros and cons. I can't remember the specs on my Meta, but it's a home version with lots of neato doohickeys and thingamabobs. About $220+ bucks worth of widgets in all.

Pros:
Bass is tight, has a lot more impact and presence.
The music is more alive.

Cons:
Sometimes the music seems a little veiled, like in the mids and esp in the highs. (this is in comparison to unamped)
Bass extension is... meh. Seems to lack the full range of bass that I expect, but who knows, maybe that's an SR-225 limitation.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice combination, just not "Blow my ears to kingdom come". So I too am in the process of finding a new amp that might pair better than the meta.. Maybe the RA-1 if they have a non-battery version...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back