Any nva ap10h fans out there?
Dec 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 20
Man i can't believe not one person has had any experience with this amp..!

I bought it for $300 canadian so it should be up there with the headbox mkII and rega ear at least?

blink.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 20
The NVA headphone amp + grado RS2 cans are as resolving of detail as Stax electrostatics. If you like this stuff the amp is hard to beat. If your looking for pumped up bass and a midrange bump as many people are used to this amp might sound a little light weight . I think it's a great amp at a bargain price. John NYC

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 20
What strikes me is this text:
"Note that old-style 8 ohm headphones will not work properly, and may damage the amplifier. Headphones of 200 to 300 ohms and higher of the modern variety is the kind you should use, and are almost universal these days."
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

A lot of "modern" headphones are low impedance. Grados are low impedance.
You say they still match well?

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What strikes me is this text:
"Note that old-style 8 ohm headphones will not work properly, and may damage the amplifier. Headphones of 200 to 300 ohms and higher of the modern variety is the kind you should use, and are almost universal these days."
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

A lot of "modern" headphones are low impedance. Grados are low impedance.
You say they still match well?

They match very well , I think thats a bit of fear mongering on their part
Cause Ive been using it for about a week with 325i so far and no problems what so ever.

I havnt even had to go past the 1/4 mark on the volume knob.

The difference of the 325i through the ap10h and straight out of juli@ is night and day. At the same volume level i can't stand it out of the juli@
weak bass , thin sound...
It looks like i got an ok price after all. It sells for $376 dollars US now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NVA-AP10H-He...QQcmdZViewItem

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause Ive been using it for about a week with 325i so far and no problems what so ever.

Well, it won't help them sell any of those amps....

Quote:

The difference of the 325i through the ap10h and straight out of juli@ is night and day. At the same volume level i can't stand it out of the juli@

I can believe that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Trouble is, for that price you can get a Heed Canamp that people are raving about instead of an unknown amp with a big fat warning for low impedance phones.....
Not smart.

By the way, do you have a specific reason to keep the K501 and K601? Why don't you sell your K501 and K601 and buy yourself a K701 (since you seem to like the AKG sound.)? Or a Sennheiser HD600/650 for that matter.
I have the feeling this amp could have a lot more synergy with those.
And the K701 (Or senn) would be a perfect complement to your Grado SR325i.
I like the SR325i the most of all Grados I think. It has character.

Well just my 2c.
Enjoy your super combo!!!

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 20
"Trouble is, for that price you can get a Heed Canamp that people are raving about instead of an unknown amp with a big fat warning for low impedance phones.....
Not smart."

Thats true ..although they are not that unknown

here's quite a funny thread on another forum where the inventor
rihard dunn actually joins in ..?? ha ha ..

Enjoy..
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/archiv...p/t-13158.html

actually that threads such a good find i think ill make a whole new thread for it ..someone might find it interresting /funny.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

"Trouble is, for that price you can get a Heed Canamp that people are raving about instead of an unknown amp with a big fat warning for low impedance phones.....
Not smart."

Thats true ..although they are not that unknown

here's quite a funny thread on another forum where the inventor
rihard dunn actually joins in ..?? ha ha ..

Enjoy..
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/archiv...p/t-13158.html

actually that threads such a good find i think ill make a whole new thread for it ..someone might find it interresting /funny.

Nice read. Thanks.

May 14, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

I havnt even had to go past the 1/4 mark on the volume knob.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NVA-AP10H-He...QQcmdZViewItem

The website is out of date about the AP10h. The one produced up to 2000 was the same circuit as the other AP10 series amps, but output transistors removed as the driver transistors had more than enough guts (current drive), even just about enough for the Grados. The new incarnation leaves in the output transistors and feeds the phones via large wirewound resistors which we change according to the headphones being used so it will drive 1ohm phones if need be. I did the change because I now use Grados.

All the NVA integrated and stereo power amps now have the option of this same circuit built in.

I really do not want another zerogain spat so I will only answer questions if asked not enter into discussion, I obviously have a highly controversial nature and argumentative personality. So watch out - all right!!
redface.gif
))

Richard

May 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 20
I,ve been using my NVA headphone amp with HPs with a wide range of impedances and it is exceptional in every case. Again this amp passes through a lot of information (detail). John

May 15, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 20
Glad to see the NVA line available again.I got my AP10 in Oct.2003
for $315 shipped from Peakaudio in Nova Scotia.I could not find them
anywhere in the states at the time.This headphone amp is a sleeper.
Staying with one headphone amp for over 3 years is a first in my case.
I use different input cables and cans to alter the sound depending on if I am
listening to jazz,rock or classical music.

May 28, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dunn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The website is out of date about the AP10h. The one produced up to 2000 was the same circuit as the other AP10 series amps, but output transistors removed as the driver transistors had more than enough guts (current drive), even just about enough for the Grados. The new incarnation leaves in the output transistors and feeds the phones via large wirewound resistors which we change according to the headphones being used so it will drive 1ohm phones if need be. I did the change because I now use Grados.

All the NVA integrated and stereo power amps now have the option of this same circuit built in.

I really do not want another zerogain spat so I will only answer questions if asked not enter into discussion, I obviously have a highly controversial nature and argumentative personality. So watch out - all right!!
redface.gif
))

Richard

Hi Richard, Just wanna say love the amp. The synergy with the grados is outstanding even though it's an older version. It's so neutral and detailed , it really does nothing wrong.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Thanks for responding .
Since originally asking this question i bought a grado 325i .
This truly is one amazing amp the synergy with 325i is nothing short of perfect.

I urge people to check it out
(so i can have someone else to talk to about it
biggrin.gif
)

Hello Adanac

Saw your thread seems like You are an nva Fan.So got a cople fo doubts hoping you could clear it..I see its not a very frinedly amp as in not built for saomew one who might be a begnnier...So how stabke anbd saf eis it...You comparing it to the rega ear but i think the rega year is atlkeast $150 cheaper than the NVA ap10h..So is therenay other amp that is preety muvh in tht price rnage anmd has the same sonic quality..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back