Any New Orleans area Head-Fi members?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 57

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm in the Marigny, and thought I'd say hello. These days, I primarily use headphones for portability, and have the Beyer DT 1350. In the past, I had a pair of T1s, but sold them (they sounded great, but I just wasn't using them much). If there's ever a meet around here, I'd certainly be interested!

A meet would be pretty cool but with such a limited number of people I don't expect there to be any crazy amazing rigs but I suppose its possible.  I'm pretty much stuck with my M50 and E7 DAC/amp which is very enjoyable but until some debts are paid off I don't plan on getting anything too serious.  What I would love to do though would be get a DT990 250 ohm and all the tools needed to assemble my very own Bottlehead Crack amp.  I would love to have a neat looking amp that according to several reviewrs sounds great for the price.  It would be fun learning about how the thing works too.  

Its great to see more people from the area noticing this thread.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 57
Nice to see some conversation started. subjekt32, if you don't mind I would love to come by sometime and try my Realiser with your speaker setup. 

I have only been to Wilson Audio once, and he had the Magnepan 3.6, don't know if he swapped them for the new 3.7. I ended up buying the MG12 (not from him) and loved them. I had planned on sending them to Magnestand to me modded, but decided to downsize instead. When I have more space in the future I would still like to get a Magnestand moded MG12. The guy at Wilson said there was no point in buying anything less than the 3.6. I can tell you one reason, space. those things are monsters. I can only imagine how big the 20.1 are.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 57
Hey, guys, I'd definitely be interested in a meet. I live in Biloxi, MS, but I go to N.O. very frequently because of family occasions (and N.O. is still home to me). Not too heavily loaded up on headphone gear, but definitely will be upgrading my uDAC-2 amp to the Schiit Valhalla soon (though uDAC2 will have to remain a DAC for now).

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 57
@subjekt32 - Mandeville, sounds like I just committed myself to an outing. I'm just kidding, its not that far. The Realiser is a cool device, that takes measurements of a speaker system so that the sound can be recreated through headphones. It plugs into your amp, and sweeps patterns through your speakers. Small mics placed in your ears determine the change. The end result is I can sit at home with my headphones on and listen to your speakers. I could go into a bit more but I am not technical expert. I will just link a few places to read about it for anyone interested. Right now I am using a recording I made of B&W 801 speakers. I can't remember, but I think they were using some Meridian amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase
http://smyth-research.com/

@ mikenike - You should consider buying some different tubes for the Valhalla. I don't know what your budget it, but that could be fun. I know someone else with one, with some RCA splitters we could run both from one source and compare tubes.

If I decide to make myself presentable tomorrow I may actually get over to Uptown Audio Video. Since I am on winter break from class I have been a bum. My beard is past unkempt. I am sure they have some systems worth stealing with my Realiser, and I have a feeling they wont mind because it will give them an opportunity to check out some cool new gear they may be interested in selling. I wouldn't bother over at Wilson, because I am sure he would simply judge my box of voodoo. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 57
Excellent pictures Subjekt32.  Unfortunately I can only appreciate the external looks since I have no clue what it must sound like as I'm inexperienced. 

TruBrew, it sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying your Realiser.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, Valentino Home Entertainment looks like they have some crazy good setups in a variety of rooms to choose from.  That is, if the showroom looks as good as it is presented on their website.  As far as Wilson is concerned, he seems to be pretty closed minded but he does have some good gear, even if the place seems a bit messy and outdated.  As far as the idea of a meet is concerned, I am interested but with work and family events as well as plans for school, I don't see much free time in the near future.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 57
Greetings from the Lower Garden District! I'm running (primarily) Senn HD650s with a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball. Portable amps are an older Larocco and a soon-to-be-delivered Objective O2. Also have a AKG K-240DF and (packed somewhere) Etymotic 4S IEMs. Looking seriously at an RSA SR-71B to run the 650s in balanced mode. Source for all these is usually a 6G iPod (80GB). May pick up a HifiMan 601.

Regards...A.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 57
Did you build the Bottlehead? I am guessing not since you said you are buying a Objective2. When I get some free time I was thinking of building some DIY skills building a Crack. IT looks easy, and I would like to know how to build things. Would the SR-71B be for travel or home use, because my guess is the 650 would not make a great on the go headphone. But I have read of someone wearing an HD800 on a train.

If I ever build a portable rig it will start with the 160GB ipod and either a CLAS or HP-P1. I think HP-P1 so I could keep the rig from being insanely large and heavy. I have no more money right now to be building a portable rig however. I just use my PortaPros or SE310's with my iphone. The HifiMan DAP's have lost all point to me now. Before you could use an external DAC on an ipod I could see the point. I still don't think I would have gone for it. The price, poor interface and need to carry around multiple SD cards kept me from seeing it as a viable option. Now HifiMan has the more affordable 601, and SD cards hold more for less money. If I wanted a single box portable solution, I would think hard about it. I carry around a backpack most of the time so the extra weight would not bother me.

I am glad you found this thread and posted. The list of local members and equipment is slowly growing.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 57

Quote:
Greetings from the Lower Garden District! I'm running (primarily) Senn HD650s with a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball. Portable amps are an older Larocco and a soon-to-be-delivered Objective O2. Also have a AKG K-240DF and (packed somewhere) Etymotic 4S IEMs. Looking seriously at an RSA SR-71B to run the 650s in balanced mode. Source for all these is usually a 6G iPod (80GB). May pick up a HifiMan 601.

Regards...A.

Welcome to the thread, A! Do you enjoy your Crack? I was thinking of getting one later on for the same reason as Tru.

Update on my last post: got the Schiit Lyr instead of the Valhalla. Couldn't wait, but am satisfied with the upgrade. Will probably get the Bifrost soon (April or May), but in the interim, I'll be on the lookout for tubes.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #26 of 57
I bought the Bottlehead from a fellow Head-Fi member (I'm the third owner, it seems). I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though I will likely try a few alternative 12au7's to see if I can tighten things up just a hair. I have a long history with tube amps and preamps (Conrad-Johnson), so this arena appeals to me. Still, for a portable unit (I find myself spending a lot of time in school libraries waiting to pick up my children), a reasonably compact unit like the SR-71 looks to be the ticket. The idea of running the HD650s in balanced mode is an appealing notion, so I'm also looking at amps like the iBasso PB-2. Some of this will also depend on how much I like the Objective O2, which I bought more or less on a whim from JDS Labs, and which is due here on 2/16. I don't mind carrying the 650s around if I know I'll be sitting in one spot for an hour or more. Nonetheless I may pick up a pair of Beyerdynamic 1350s as a "road" headphone, and/or something on the order of the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi. As to source, the old iPod is working sell enough in line-out mode. If I could hear the iBaso D100, I might -- MIGHT-- make that leap if it drives the 650s well enough.

I'd love to be able to hear some rigs nearby if anyone volunteers...
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 57
Maybe this summer I can have you over. With school I never know which weekends will be busier than another, so keeping appointments is nearly impossible. Also my system is not currently set up. I am waiting for my Realiser to be returned (HDMI upgrade), and my new amp to come in. Until then my only music is computer > PortaPro. If you do come by you just have to be cool with dogs jumping on you for a few minutes until they calm down.

You may not need to come over however, because this summer may be a good time to get a meet together. I need to talk about to someone else about that. I met a local guy who is big into headphone and when I mentioned wanting to put together a meeting, I found out that he had been thinking over the same idea. He said that he even has the perfect place to host the event. I believe he also knows a few other headphone enthusiasts in the area. Since he has the location, and access to more people, I need to try and push him a bit to set something up. I say summer, because if we are going to do something, it should be an all day thing. At least I think it should be, and I don't have time for that until summer. I know Merk also mentioned issues attending a get together due to school. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 57
Greetings Fellow New Orleans Head-Fi Members,

TruBrew is indeed correct, I have been thinking about a New Orleans meet for sometime.

Got the ideal space readily available and I'm sure there would be some great systems to audition.

Should be a nice turnout, maybe even some out-of-towners that have expressed some interest will show up.

Summer is probably realistic because I absolutely can't see having it until a certain KGSSHV and BHSE make their respective arrivals which may still be a couple of months away.

And for sure I say if we are going to do it we need to pull out all the stops.

Cheers!

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 57
hope all you guys made it through the storm ok.
went to wilson audio and the guy working there is definitely anti-denon. he cringed when i told him i had some ah-d2000's in my possession.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #30 of 57
Any possibility of a meet this summer? 

I think a friend of mine is slowly getting into headphones. He knew of my love for cans a while back, but of his own accord, he's getting a pair soon (Audio Technica MTH-M50). Not an audiophile yet, but he'll get there... with my coercion. LOL.

So, how's everyone been? Had a great holiday? What's the latest on your audio endeavors? I've been putting headphones on the backburner myself, but my friend's venture into cans is putting it to the fore again.

Quote:
hope all you guys made it through the storm ok.
went to wilson audio and the guy working there is definitely anti-denon. he cringed when i told him i had some ah-d2000's in my possession.

Did the guy tell you his recommendations? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back