Any new HDCD-compatible CDPs still available?
Aug 29, 2007 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
Other than a Rotel (1070?), are there any other HDCD-compatible compact disc players still available on the (new) market?

I've always found that HDCD-encoded Redbook discs, played back on CDPs that decode HDCD, sound better. My current cdp does not do HDCD, and my favorite HDCD-encoded discs - Brubeck's "Take Five", Knopfler's "Local Hero" - sound flat, so I'm thinking about maybe getting the Rotel or other.

By the way, how is the Rotel in general? Isn't it their only current purist (straight) CD player? Would it be worth stocking up on them (buying two?) if you enjoy HDCD?? Or is that anal?.................
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 23
Rotel RCD-1072

I just discovered that this is the current Rotel cdp that decodes HDCD.

Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. I note that it was product of the year in 2003 - which makes it pretty long in the tooth, eh?

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 23
Yes, but it might be a step down, HDCD regardless. I'm looking at the NAD's new M5 for its combination of HDCD and SACD decoding - I'll be auditioning it against Arcam's CD192 sometime this fall.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 23
My Modwright Denon 3910 plays SACD, DVD-A, Redbook, upsamples (I think), and HDCD, etc.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 23
There is the Onix xcd88 and for a cheaper "dual use" option to the excellent Modwright or SACD modded Denons you could try the Oppo 981 HD. The Oppos RB playback is not so hot but the other versions are pretty good and the video is excellent should you ever decide to go the dual use route. The Oppo needs a decent amp though to pull out the best of the playback available.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NAD M5
Naim CDX2
Linn Majik CD

Are those players Lo-Fi, Mid-Fi, Hi-Fi or My CDP Has A Bigger Penis, Than Your CDP-Fi ??
icon10.gif
lambda.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 23
I'm considering "downgrading" from an Arcam FMJ CD33 to a Rotel RCD-1072.

Would that reflect badly upon me? Would I become an outcast here?
tongue.gif

Social groups and forums are amazing places, aren't they? They make you feel bad if you go from an Accord to a Civic, even if the Civic suits you better and is a more intelligent buy......................

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NMyTree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those players Lo-Fi, Mid-Fi, Hi-Fi or My CDP Has A Bigger Penis, Than Your CDP-Fi ??
icon10.gif
lambda.gif

Depends on your reference point

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 23
I love the Oppo's for their universal decoding features. You can really toss any audio format at them and they'll take it happily.
smily_headphones1.gif

I run the 980HD, and used to have a 970HD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back