Any MST3k fans here?
Jan 9, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Oh my god! Manos: Hands of Fate. I cannot believe someone else saw that film. It was the only film I have ever seen that is entirely incomprehensible. It is like watching a train wreck.

Yeah, tell me about it. I can't even watch it all the way through even *with* the MiSTy! They say Plan 9 was the "worst film ever" but, I tell you, next to Manos it's "Citizen Kane". For that matter, Manos made Ed Wood look like Steven Speilburg!

Honestly, I don't know *HOW* they could have watched Manos enough times to MiSTy it!

"The... Master... wouldn't like... that..."

Oh lord, the endless Torgo jokes... Torgo delivering Pizza was hilarous! Mike was awesome as Torgo.

It's been *years* and I'm *STILL* hung-up on how bad that movie was!

Jan 9, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

My friend has the movie on beta, the only format on which one should store such a film.

ROTFL... First off, you *need* new friends...

Secondly, this is a good argument for why N*Sync and The Backstreet Boys should only be released in 8-track format.

Jan 9, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

There was also some secret agent/ James Bond take off that was really funny. It had a guy who looked just like Prince, and they kept harping on that. It was hilarious.

That would be Operation Double-007 starring Sean Connery's younger brother Neil. It has to be the most blatant rip-off of the Bond franchise ever, they keep referring to Neil's brother who's also a top agent. It even stars the actors who play(ed) M and Moneypenny in the original movies. It is also available on the DAP, and if anyone wants to get it the easy way, just contact me on ICQ if you have broadband (note: this is not warez, the DAP is sanctioned by Best Brains Inc. who are the people behind MST3k).

Jan 9, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 29
Count me in as a Joel fan mainly, although it's been many years since I had a fix. A sizable portion of my social life was once built around joint viewings of MST.

Favorite one? Hard to remember all the fine points, but "Sidehackers" keeps coming to mind with Ross...I forget his name. The central skit has the 'bots and Joel providing the vocabulary that the sidehacking sport needs to succeed bigtime.

The short about the Florida everglades where the story line follows a completely brutal zoo specimen trapper and his Indian helper through assorted kinds of animal abuse is a winner (title forgotten). So is one from Union Pacific about how not to be hit by a train.

Gamara also deserves mention. I heard, "Gamara is really neat/Gamara is full of meat." I was fond of the skit where Servo got too worked up as he described what was inside Gamara's many chambers.

Jan 9, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 29
It airs Sat. 9AM on the Sci-fi channel. They extended the contract too! all the way through 2003.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 29
These are now almost all available on DVD or from the linked DAP site. They are great after all these years.

I like Manos best by a long shot. Then there is the trilogy directed by the awful Coleman Francis: Skydivers, 'Red Zone Cuba, and especially, "the Beast of Yucca Flats". After that there are about ten in the next tier.

Joel is probably more charming than Mike on the whole, but Mike did the best writing, I think. I though the best Mad pairing was Forrester and TV's Frank, by another long shot.

The feature film was good, but not up to the standard of the best TV shows.

And I agree that some of the shorts are particularly hilarious--my favorite, I think, is the grooming short.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 29
I picked up seasons 4 and 7 off of ebay before they quashed it...too bad. I think mike was more funny...maybe because the production was a little better...the jokes were pretty much the same. Unfourtunatly if you didn't grow up in the 70's you missed alot of the punchlines. I will be checking out the link posted here.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 29
Okay, resurrecting an old thread, but http://www.club-mst3k.com/episodes?sort=laughs has nearly all the episodes linked. This list is sorted by popularity, so start with 'Space Mutiny' and see it if its your thing.

Oh, and it stars Reb Brown, who was also 'Yor: Hunter from the Future' too. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 29
Oh my god! Manos: Hands of Fate. I cannot believe someone else saw that film. It was the only film I have ever seen that is entirely incomprehensible. It is like watching a train wreck. I love MST3k, but I have not seen it for years. I was much more of a Joel fan. I think the skits during his era were much more natural. There was also some secret agent/ James Bond take off that was really funny. It had a guy who looked just like Prince, and they kept harping on that. It was hilarious.

By the way, has anyone seen Yor: Hunter from the Future ? I don't know if it has been done on MST3k, but it really should be. It is a totally ridiculous Beastmaster type movie (as if Beastmaster wasn't bad enough). Here is a review that should give you an idea of what it is like: http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/y/y...om-future.html
My friend has the movie on beta, the only format on which one should store such a film.

Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Joe Schmoe, wife, whiney sprog and poodle are driving. And driving. And driving. And driving. And... you get the picture. This movie has the pacing of continental drift. At one point, an out-of-control wailing singer comes on the radio, making things just a li'l worse.

Searching for a Lodge where they were supposed to stay the night, they pass a young guy and gal in a parked sportscar, who are swigging liquor and sucking face. A building appears, with a small and peculiar man standing in front. Joe Schmoe expresses the sentiment that "maybe this would be a good place to stay the night". Joe has never ever seen a horror movie. And is a prize boofhead to boot.

The small and peculiar man is Torgo, acolyte of "The Master" and he is just a mass of physical and facial tics. He appears to have nicked Gandalf's staff and is very unwelcoming. The Schmoes still decide to stay the night.

Upon entering the house, they are confronted with what appears to be a portrait of the long-dead corpse of Arthur ('Allo 'Allo) Bostrom and a big scary dog. This is, apparently, the Master. The Schmoes still decide to stay the night.

The poodle escapes, and is found dead. Then Torgo makes a seriously weird pass at Mrs Schmoe who reacts in glacial time. Then the irritating sprog vanishes, only to appear with a big scary dog. The Schmoes still decide to stay the night.

Meanwhile, the kids in the sportscar are still exchanging saliva. Torgo, who intends Mrs Schoe to be the Master's next wife, clonks Joe on the noggin and ties him up. The Schmoes no longer have any choice in whether to stay the night.

After about an hour into the film, the Master finally wakes up in a dungeon with his first six wives. Will something exciting actually happen? Probably not. He recites a prayer to a statue of Manos, who looks like a bust of the Mekon. His wives all wake up and start complaining. Then, as the Master departs, they argue and all start beating each other up fairly randomly, to a John Coltrane-lite soundtrack.

The Master confronts Torgo and tells him that, although his wives were in suspended animation, they were aware of him creeping into the crypt and fondling them. Torgo tells the Master that he wants Mrs Schmoe for himself. A wife of the master finds Joe, snogs him, then starts hitting him. Meanwhile, some of the other wives are still fighting each other to the sound of frenetic Hard Bop. Coltrane must be tiring out some time about now.

Getting seriously miffed at all the domestic strife, the Master decides to sacrifice his tallest wife. And Torgo. Cue "liturgical dance" and two wives trying to slap Torgo to death. When that doesn't seem to be working fast enough, the Master burns off Torgo's hand and laughs. Then stops. Then starts again.

The Schmoes finally decide to leave. Then Joe shoots a rattlesnake and they decide to go back. I repeat, they decide to GO BACK! Yep, back to pervy Torgo, his satanic Master, the fighty wives and a hellhound. The cops hear the shots and decide to investigate. Then they decide not to. In the house, the Master (seriously out of focus, but with his satanic pooch to comfort him) confronts the Schmoes. Joe Schmoe fires two shots. Black screen.

Then the movie appears to start AGAIN, as two entirely new characters drive through the desert for what seems like three hours. They pass the sportscar with the snogging kids, who are still at it (some kind of record attempt?) Arriving at the house, Joe Schmoe welcomes them as the new acolyte of the Master. Wifey and brat are now tied up in the dungeon, in a sort of undead state. Torgo, who ran off into the desert sans hand, is presumably now suing his agent.

In short, TripAdvisor, I give this hotel a solid three out of five. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 29
Series creator Joel Hodgson has opened a Kickstarter project to bring back MST3K, which has already raised enough to make three new episodes.

Details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #29 of 29
The Turkey Day Marathon lineup.

1. Outlaw of Gor (Swords, sorcery and Jack Palance in a silly hat.)
2. EEGAH! (Richard 'Jaws' Kiel is a caveman discovered by odd-faced teen singing 'sensation' Arch Hall Jr.)
3. Gorgo (The British Godzilla.)
4. Teenagers from Outer Space (None of them look teenaged, but it does have giant lobsters.)
5. Danger! Death Ray! (Feeble spy caper "I have perfected a death ray... for peaceful purposes only".)
6. Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Martians kidnap Santa in order to learn all about the joys of Christmas. With Pia Zadora.)

Very satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back