Any MIT students??
Aug 17, 2006 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SysteX

500+ Head-Fier
So, I'm off to MIT in 4 days. Just wanted to know if I'm heading into friendly territory (ok... so I'm still a head-fi noob, but I'm working on it). Give me a PM and I'll let you know my room so you can stop by sometime and say hello to a fellow audiophile-in-the-making (and help me with some psets?
tongue.gif
).

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Bump now that I'm up in Boston. Surely there's someone out there...

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 18
you should study electric engineering and make a kick ass amp for us in the future! i got a friend at MIT, he said its stressful as hell, but all worth it. in terms of girls, you gotta look elsewhere!

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 18
Yep, undergrad. I'm actually a frosh--and planning to do course 6 (EE/CS).

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
oh god I really want to get into MIT, trouble is, you have to be a genius to get in though...

Geesh, so much angst!

I have two friends who attend MIT grad school and although they are smart and work hard, I would not call them "geniuses."

Just be happy and do well, where ever you end up going; undergrad "school recognition" credentials are pretty much meaningless, from what I have observed.

-Matt

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Class of 1978! It was a great place back then, and I think it is even better now. Kendall Square, for example, was a dump when I was there. I lived in Senior House.
Enjoy!

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
FWIW, according to my MIT friends, it's harder to get into MIT for undergrad than for graduate school. I think it's the same for Harvard.

Seems like graduate school in general is easier to get into. I know the same thing applied to Pratt too.

Dammit. I just made myself seem dumber.

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 18
It obviously depends on what grad school you are applying for and who you know. Harvard law...
rolleyes.gif
Yeah right.

You can't compare the acceptance rates quid pro quo because of the nature of graduate applications (fewer of them, more graduate divisions). Most MIT undergrads cannot make it into MIT grad school: this is a fact.

-Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
FWIW, according to my MIT friends, it's harder to get into MIT for undergrad than for graduate school. I think it's the same for Harvard.

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
you should study electric engineering and make a kick ass amp for us in the future! i got a friend at MIT, he said its stressful as hell, but all worth it. in terms of girls, you gotta look elsewhere!

ok..UM EE recent graduate here and I can go from experience, opamp based headamp is relatively easy. now the stuff Gilmore does is a little more difficult and we get no schooling on tubes...LMAO..

maybe MIT can do better
wink.gif

and I certainly envy those who can go to grad full time..I am struggling part time grad... sigh..

sorry about thread hijacking....lol

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
ok..UM EE recent graduate here and I can go from experience, opamp based headamp is relatively easy. now the stuff Gilmore does is a little more difficult and we get no schooling on tubes...LMAO..

maybe MIT can do better
wink.gif

and I certainly envy those who can go to grad full time..I am struggling part time grad... sigh..

sorry about thread hijacking....lol

If you are pursuing a PhD in research at a strong institution, you get paid, they subsidize your housing, and they cover all your expenses.

That is how I manage.

-Matt

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
It obviously depends on what grad school you are applying for and who you know. Harvard law...
rolleyes.gif
Yeah right.

Isn't Law school only an option for graduate students? There isn't an undergrad law degree right? Yale law is toughest?

Quote:

Most MIT undergrads cannot make it into MIT grad school: this is a fact.

I think it depends on the department. Doesn't just apply to MIT, but also Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard etc. I think the prof wants the students to get a different perspective, which is a good thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back