Any MiniDisc lovers?
Sep 14, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 62
I use MD exclusively for portable and also have a deck at home. I have not tried HiMD yet though.
I think MD will be around for years as a niche product. Journalists still use MD recorders and there is a huge following in Japan.

I once bought an MP3 player but came back to minidisc for the battery life and for the reasonably warm sound at lower bitrates.

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #17 of 62
I really liked MD but got frustrated that I couldn't quickly download songs to my portable from my iMac. I got tired of having to record everything in real time. It's been hard to watch the format die a slow death. My Sony portable was tiny and light, the battery lasted a long time, and the sound quality was really great. *sigh*

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
I really liked MD but got frustrated that I couldn't quickly download songs to my portable from my iMac. I got tired of having to record everything in real time. It's been hard to watch the format die a slow death. My Sony portable was tiny and light, the battery lasted a long time, and the sound quality was really great. *sigh*

x2
When i started using macs, it was over for my md days... have hope!!! i think there is software for like usb drag and drop or something... but i really like the optical in since i have a sony dej-855 cd player that has optical out, it still works out for me. I think sony's dedication to optical i/o on is best cd/md portables is what turns me on the most. If they get this to work better in osx then bliss for all of us music recording hobbiests and travelers...
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #21 of 62
My minidisc is like an old favorite girlfriend, have many fond memories that are haunting and always am tempted to go back, but alas I'm married to another right now, however, I keep my minidisc collection in a shoe box, ready to pluck, when I get the urge to plunge back into that comfort zone.

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 62
I was late into the MD camp. I'd wanted a full size deck for years but could never really see the need, they just seemed so cool though. Just 2 years ago I bought a Sony MZ-NH600D. I still use it on my job, it still sounds very good to me.

It'll be sad to see the format slowly die but it seems that there are still many supporters to keep it alive for a while anyway.

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #23 of 62
I had a RH1 delivered yesterday and i am amzaed at the sound quality from this player.
Was using MD until 3 years ago but decided to give it another go after reading about the RH1 and so far after a few hours of listening i dont think i'll be having any regrets.
I dont think any of my old mp3 players match the sound quality of the RH1 and i as using an amp with them, which so far i havnt really tried at length with the RH1.

Sep 15, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #25 of 62
I still use my minidiscs. And I doubt I'll let my units go. The sound and external storage ability is just unbeatable among other things. I wont deny that at this day and age of portables, carrying discs around is a hassle compared to flea size gigs. To this day, I still do legacy md's; real-time in true SP and still get a kick out of it. Heck, I still even dub metal casettes from vinyl and listen to my Sony DD9. There's just something about old school portables: discmans, old sharp md units, and my DD9. My mp3 players will come and go but I'll still be babying my old portables.

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 62
I used MD for a few years when my cassettes died. CD portables were too big IMO. I bought a HiMD and I love that for recording. But its too much hassle with the small screens, SonicStage and the slow transfer speeds to use a daily player for me. I use MP3 players and HiMD for recording only.

Ironically this morning the other half borrowed my MP3 player, I hadn't time to put stuff on the HiMD so I grabbed her PCDP and a MP3 CD from the car.

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #27 of 62
I still use mine to record from the board with my band... Fantastic quality, easy to use, easy to keep the archives. I still like listening to it now and then and the actual device is still way cool.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermouse1984
to mackay maus
I`ve got a MD just like your ID----the pioneer Mk2----a special edition for mickey mouse. It`s lovely and sounds great----I prefer it as top 3 of all Sharp models.

to hYdrociTy
well, I guess that the latest Sonicstage 4.0 may have a MAC version. Why not try that? you can down load it online on Sony asian-pacific service website.

to mazinger
It seems that not everywhere in the world can you get a RH1. I must go to Hong Kong to get a black version----black is always my favourite.

to appar111
Woo! A e730! I`ve looked for it for a long time until I got a Eh1. I only heard it once and it just carved in my mind----amazing! I like it more than the legendry R909. Nice stuff!

to KrazyIvan
Hey! I also have a F80! It`s output is great, powerful may be a better word. To be frank, I`m a Sharp fan, besides those 1 bits, I have a ST531, 3 ST770 with all colours, and MS100----that`s really a curio. And of course, the Sony NH1 and EH1, too.

also thanks for those reply this post, I still need sometime to decide whether buy a RH1, because I already have a NH1 and don`t know if Rh1 sounds better or worse than it. Thanks for all of your advices.

I bought it last year (full price) from Audiocubes.com. I figured if I was going to be using a deck unit and a portable player (since I won't be recording shows, etc. etc. and would basically be using it like a modern-day cassette walkman) I'd treat myself to something with: great sound, outstanding battery life, cool looks, great sound (did I mention that already?
smily_headphones1.gif
) It delivers on all fronts. Still more of a hassle if I want to take more than a couple MD's along with me, but rarely is that the case. Usually I just slap in a mix MD (Eminem mix, Iron Maiden custom "Can I Play With Maiden?" mix, Bjork Bmix, etc.) and I don't need any more tunes at a time. It allows one to get back into each album and appreciate it fully, rather than cherry-picking only certain tracks (which I'm guilty of when using an iPod).

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger
I have a RH1 and also an HD-5.... the RH1 sound is excellent, and has NO hiss at all.. Even when it has been created more towards recording, it´s playback is flawless... I use a almost only MP3s in VBR2 (Using LAME) and to bo honest I have not heard any better sounding portable Digital audio player (I have sonys, Iaudio and iRiver... also heard some ipods)...
eggosmile.gif

Ditto 100% - i have the same as mazinger (an HD5 and an RH1, as well as an older NetMD 710), although my only basis of comparison is a iPod Mini that my wife has. I'll take MD anyday over an iPod. I also use the RH1 to record sound scapes using binaural microphones. Sensational sound quality, and you can upload the recordings directly to a PC in .wav format.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 62
I have a Sony MDS-JB930 in my home set up and really like it, wish that I could find a quality portable for a mobile set up???
Too bad it never seemed to catch on here in the US.
btbill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back