Any martial arts you would suggest trying out?
Jan 29, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Switzerland is a rather peaceful country so I don't care about actually kicking somebody's buttocks and consider it more as both mental and physical training.

Have you thought about Kung Fu because I think it would be good mental and physical training.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 59
In my opinion, it is best to seek out an experienced teacher who is still close to the source of his art, meaning that he (or she) had a dedicated and experienced master himself -- most often, you only find that in people who went to the country where their art originated. Another possibility is to find someone who is experienced in a number of styles and can eventually create his own favorite set of techniques (those people are rare). The style itself is mostly a matter of taste. I like some Kung Fu styles (like mantis, as mentioned above), they come in many flavors. What I like best is probably the versatility many of these offer. Others, like Wing Tsun Kung Fu, many Karate styles, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, boxing and so on may be either focused on offense or defense and only use a more limited number of techniques, but do those very well, respectively. For the beginning, I would also recommend to enlist in a university sports course. The teachers are probably motivated and not in it for the money, which is A Good Thing.
HTH
Till

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 59
I would recommend Aikido for the whole philosophy part of it, but you said that you want a more aggresive art, so maybe karate would be better. I don't know about Switzerland, but in America there are a lot of karate places (I don't know if I would call them dojo because they are pretty commercial...), so it might be pretty easy to find a place to practice.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 59
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
AFAIK, as a student you have several possibilities for cheap at the Uni. Aikido and Judo come to mind.

Or you could train with me (not so cheap).

Also not so cheap but recommendable:
http://www.frota-team.com.br/

I took a look at the ASVZ but for the next semester there's only "fitness boxing" and "fencing"
biggrin.gif

I'll just ask around a bit and see whether there are some other options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
for protection,

a nice handgun will do the job fine....

many people can dodge kicks and punches, but not so many can dodge a bullet.
biggrin.gif

I'm not so sure about that but I think it was meant as a joke. In any case, it's not the outside forum so let's not talk about this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
He should try Hapkido.

Never heard about this one but he'll try looking this one up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
if you really want to kick butt, join one of the many splinter groups of the original kick-ass martial art form - Kyokushin.

http://crane.50megs.com/index6w.htm

need proof? Ryu from Street Fighter is modeled after it.

I'd like to learn the Bison moves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Till
For the beginning, I would also recommend to enlist in a university sports course. The teachers are probably motivated and not in it for the money, which is A Good Thing.
HTH
Till

Yep, I'll try.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 59
Capoeira is bar none the coolest/most fun looking martial art I've ever seen (I spent a lot of time training under a fusion system that took elements from most of the east Asian styles). It's almost acrobatics or dancing and maybe not the most practical for self-defense, but it's pretty amazing to watch two people who know what they're doing spar. I think it's South American. Look some stuff up online - it's astonishing.

I don't know if it's the sort of thing you'd actully want to do, but it's pretty nifty.

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #23 of 59
See if you can find a Shorinji Kempo dojo in your city. It's pretty popular in some parts of Europe. You'll get a really well-rounded mental and physical workout and make some very good friends along the way. Here's the headquarters page. It has a link to the Swiss branches.

http://wsko.econ-net.or.jp/

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #24 of 59
I can't comment on the metaphysical aspect, but if I wanted to be a great fighter, here's what I'd take:

Either Boxing/muay thai along with judo, jiujitsu, or wrestling.

If you can only take one, I'd take muay-thai (maybe not 'technically' a martial art, but great for self-defense). It makes your elbows and knees into major weapons and will turn you into a cardio machine. It may suit you better than boxing and will surely keep you in shape for the soccer season.

I'll PM you with a great mixed martial art website if you're interested in asking people more knowledgable than me (including pro fighters) this question
icon10.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 59
Whatever you do, martial arts require complete respect and dedication. They tend to mock and laugh at westerners who have the wrong 'quick-fix' kick-arse mentality!

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMedic00

If you can only take one, I'd take muay-thai (maybe not 'technically' a martial art, but great for self-defense). It makes your elbows and knees into major weapons and will turn you into a cardio machine. It may suit you better than boxing and will surely keep you in shape for the soccer season.

I don't know if taking tons of kicks to the legs is a good idea for a football player
eek.gif

I would stay away from muay-thai if I were him, though it is one of the best striking arts, but for a football player, maybe not a good idea unless he wants to retire playing
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
for protection,

a nice handgun will do the job fine....

many people can dodge kicks and punches, but not so many can dodge a bullet.
icon10.gif

when i was a kid i watched some kung fu guy catch a bullet in his teeth on "That's Incredible!" they played it in slowmo so it wasn't fake. crazy.

my friend was on the show too, at the time he was the youngest black belt (taekwondo) in the country - so he vaulted over some guy and kicked a board that kathie lee was holding (or whoever it was) - they payed him by giving him every star wars toy in existence. i was SO jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back