Any martial arts you would suggest trying out?
Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
It's winter with no soccer in sight so I wanted to try out some martial arts/fighting sports. I went to a boxing practice last Friday and albeit very demanding it wasn't quite the right thing for me. I'm looking for something which is active (i.e. an attacking sport unlike judo) and trains the body, preferrably the upper body (typical soccer player...).

The most important aspect is that should have some sort of "metaphysical" background to it such as attacking from a concentrated yet contemplative state of composure. I've done breakdancing in the past so my coordination, flexibility and speed are good but I don't have a lot of strenght or steadfastness; more of the technician. Switzerland is a rather peaceful country so I don't care about actually kicking somebody's buttocks and consider it more as both mental and physical training.
Karate seemed interesting. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 59
akido is steeped in all of that - it's almost more a religion than a martial art - and they have their gurus in there that are like Prophets of Martial enlightenment.

personally i'd join a self defense course just to kick butt, but that's just me.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 59
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 59
Thanks for the suggestions but mabye I was putting too much emphasis on the metaphysical part. I was just looking for something that requires some sort of mental training. The actual fighting is still no.1 priority.

Just checked the prices on Karate course in Zurich. An anual fee of $600 is quite steep.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 59
if you really want to kick butt, join one of the many splinter groups of the original kick-ass martial art form - Kyokushin.

http://crane.50megs.com/index6w.htm

need proof? Ryu from Street Fighter is modeled after it.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 59
AFAIK, as a student you have several possibilities for cheap at the Uni. Aikido and Judo come to mind.

Or you could train with me (not so cheap).

Also not so cheap but recommendable:
http://www.frota-team.com.br/

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
That's suppose to be proof? LOL!

Shoryu-Reppa!

I spit on Royce Gracie! Grappling my arse!
lambda.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I rather not grapple your arse
confused.gif

No no, you misunderstood. I spit on Royce while he was grappling my arse. Sorry for the confusion.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

personally i'd join a self defense course just to kick butt, but that's just me.

I don't know how many knucklheads I have come across that learned just enough martial arts to get their a*s kicked.

and by that i mean the mindset of wanting to start crap only comes with the newbies that think once they learn a couple of techniiques they are ready to take on the world.

"I can kick six feet high ! I AM the Bad Man !!!!"

but the one thing you don't learn at first (and some never) is

A-how to avoid trouble

B-if trouble can not be avoided how to duck
icon10.gif

C-if B fails how to roll with a punch so it does little harm
tongue.gif

If both B and C fail learn "A" REAL good !

geting beat up because you think you are a tough guy due to a couple of Karate lesson under your belt is a real wake up call when you actually MEET a real tough guy.

Martial arts is about discipline and keeping both mind and body in shape,not "who can i beat up" which usually gets the person thinking like that hospitalised
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back