Any Macbook Pro owners?
Jun 3, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
that is perhaps the greatest "feature" of the macbook. changing the ibook's ram wasn't too bad, but the hard drive? it took me 3 hours to do it...i was lucky not to void my applecare.

Agreed. I spent hours on my sony, the ribbon for the HD and keyboard kept falling out, the chasis wasn't completely nice to me in the fact that I had to hold one part because not both ends of the laptop came out so the whole top part was still on when I was trying to work with the HD. The screw slots were all the same, so when I put the screws back, I put the wrong ones and left screw dents at the top of the laptop. I lost the pcmcia door thing, and all those little covers that cover the screw holes.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I'm interested in anyone who owns one, particularly those of you in the UK with the updated 2.0Ghz base model and feedback i.e whine, mooing, heat issues etc and where bought and for how much.

Cheers

I have had a 2.16 for a couple of months now. No real problems, fast, sexy. That said, there are 5 others where I work, and three have been into Apple for service. It is a 1st gen. The lack of universal binary apps is annoying, but not too bad. I give it a thumbs up with some reservations.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
I have had a 2.16 for a couple of months now. No real problems, fast, sexy. That said, there are 5 others where I work, and three have been into Apple for service. It is a 1st gen. The lack of universal binary apps is annoying, but not too bad. I give it a thumbs up with some reservations.

Apple is pretty good with warranties if you have any problem, right? Espicaly if you go with the apple care protection, which you can purchase any time within your original warranty, correct?

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Would you be willing to take even some decent res photos (1280x1024, or even 2xxx x 1xxx) and try uploading them on imageshack? You can get some fairly high res photos under 1 megabyte from what I've seen.

There's a 2000x2000 high res photo of the black Macbook from a good angle up on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MacBook.jpg
Click on it for the full size image.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
There's a 2000x2000 high res photo of the black Macbook from a good angle up on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MacBook.jpg
Click on it for the full size image.

Doesn't seem to be loading. I'll try again later, seems like a problem with wikipedia. I'm looking for real non photoshopped photos not done on white, from real consumers though. Thanks anyway
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Doesn't seem to be loading. I'll try again later, seems like a problem with wikipedia. I'm looking for real non photoshopped photos not done on white, from real consumers though. Thanks anyway
biggrin.gif

Loaded now, really weird, must had some some thrashing on their servers. I want a different angle, which shows the ports too. I haven't seen the optical port yet, and I am kind of curious what the bottom looks like.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 52
Just FYI, that photo is from a consumer (it's taken in an Apple Store), but yes, they Photoshopped away the surroundings.

There are a couple photos of the bottom in some of the reviews online. It's basically just flat plastic, with no stickers or anything (this is different from ThinkPads and Dells, which have all sorts of weird stuff on the bottom). There's just the outline of the battery, and the classic Apple circular coin-operated battery release. When removed, you can press a button on the battery and it displays a neat LED-based bar showing its charged capacity remaining. Good if you have several batteries in your travel bag and you're trying to find one that's good.

Another Head-Fier posted this site with tons of Macbook links:
http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php
I'm sure one of the linked reviews has a photo of the bottom.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Just FYI, that photo is from a consumer (it's taken in an Apple Store), but yes, they Photoshopped away the surroundings.

There are a couple photos of the bottom in some of the reviews online. It's basically just flat plastic, with no stickers or anything (this is different from ThinkPads and Dells, which have all sorts of weird stuff on the bottom). There's just the outline of the battery, and the classic Apple circular coin-operated battery release. When removed, you can press a button on the battery and it displays a neat LED-based bar showing its charged capacity remaining. Good if you have several batteries in your travel bag and you're trying to find one that's good.

Another Head-Fier posted this site with tons of Macbook links:
http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php
I'm sure one of the linked reviews has a photo of the bottom.

Looking now, can't find the optical port though.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Looking now, can't find the optical port though.

all the ports on the MB are on the left side now, including the power plug...

the headphone out is also the optical out (like the air express) and the line in is also the optical in.

and about applecare...yes, for the most part apple is very good about warranty repairs. and the apple store "genius bar" is actually a very good place to check the health of your mac. i've taken a few of my machines to the apple store genius bar for repairs and i've only once been disappointed. there's an interesting read on xlr8yourmac.com about which accessories are covered under applecare: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...06.html#S21215

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
all the ports on the MB are on the left side now, including the power plug...

the headphone out is also the optical out (like the air express) and the line in is also the optical in.

and about applecare...yes, for the most part apple is very good about warranty repairs. and the apple store "genius bar" is actually a very good place to check the health of your mac. i've taken a few of my machines to the apple store genius bar for repairs and i've only once been disappointed. there's an interesting read on xlr8yourmac.com about which accessories are covered under applecare: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...06.html#S21215

So they include an 1/8" to optical adapter?

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

So they include an 1/8" to optical adapter?

No. If you need a mini-TOSLINK to full size TOSLINK adapter, Radio Shack sells one for a couple bucks. mini-TOSLINK is becoming the norm for portable devices these days, so it's worth having one around.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

No. If you need a mini-TOSLINK to full size TOSLINK adapter, Radio Shack sells one for a couple bucks. mini-TOSLINK is becoming the norm for portable devices these days, so it's worth having one around.

Heh, so they should just say they offer an spdif interface. I'm sure you could use a 1/8" to coax adapter to, right? How can they advertise optical if it's not an optical port, but an multi feature jack?

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #44 of 52
A MacBook Pro would be nice, but I feel better if there was an Intel-based PowerMac. In fact, I'd buy the tower first, then the laptop.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Heh, so they should just say they offer an spdif interface. I'm sure you could use a 1/8" to coax adapter to, right? How can they advertise optical if it's not an optical port, but an multi feature jack?

It *is* an optical jack. The optical LED is embedded at the base of a 1/8" inch minijack. This is the same type of digital jack you find on most recent CDPs. You can't use a little 1/8" to coax adapter, because it's not electrical, it's optical. (Though powered optical to coax converters do exist.)

Strictly speaking, the protocol is S/PDIF, the optical interface that carries that protocol is TOSLINK. There are a variety of standard TOSLINK connectors. The "large size" ones you're probably thinking of are called JIS F05, but most portable gear are now using the smaller 1/8" combo jacks, because they take up less space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back