Any love for the Sennheiser HD 4XX series (specifically HD 439)?
Jul 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slowpickr

Headphoneus Supremus
Been debating between the CAL! and the JVC-HAS500.  However, the HD439 has recently popped up on my radar.  Looking for a comfortable, full size, but yet somewhat portable, all arounder headphone for office use (minimal leakage).  Like the removable cable concept.  Any love out there for this headphone?  Anything better for music in general (i.e. electronic to acoustic)  for a comparable price?  Bass needs to be respectable, but not dominant.  Thanks.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 8
The bass on the hd439's is more of a condiment to the music, to make it come out as an appetizer it needs to be amped or EQ'd a bit. I find the HD's better for more classical/acoustic and rock genres. With bass heavy material it will be sufficient with an amp (e6 is semi decent).

As for leakage, it's there. Definitely. The cloth pads, while super comfortable can leak a bit at high volumes. I wouldn't recommend them for mobile use unless you don't mind others faintly hearing your music.

My personal opinion though is that I love them to death.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The bass on the hd439's is more of a condiment to the music, to make it come out as an appetizer it needs to be amped or EQ'd a bit. I find the HD's better for more classical/acoustic and rock genres. With bass heavy material it will be sufficient with an amp (e6 is semi decent).

As for leakage, it's there. Definitely. The cloth pads, while super comfortable can leak a bit at high volumes. I wouldn't recommend them for mobile use unless you don't mind others faintly hearing your music.

My personal opinion though is that I love them to death.

Thanks.  I'm getting a bit hungry! 
biggrin.gif
 I use a Cowon D2+ which is supposed to be a higher powered player.  I'd be using the HD439s without an amp (my Fiio E5 died recently).  I typically listen at moderate levels in the office so I don't think leakage with these would be a problem.

@Leliana

I've read that the 449's have a lot of treble with less bass.  While I do want sparkle and detail, I still need a phone that can go low when needed (I listen to Infected Mushroom occasionally).  The removable cable on the 439 is also very desirable (I don't think the 449 has it).  Thanks for the recommendation though.

Any comparisons to the CAL!.  They really fascinate me. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Never looked at the Cal!, they seem to be popping up in the forum lately, I'll have to check them out. Might be a fad
wink.gif
pft

You ought to check them out.  CAL! stands for Creative Aurvana Live! in case you didn't know.  Joker's Portable Headphone "Shootout" thread is a good source.  Also, Innerfidelity and other review sites heap praise on them.  The main con's with them that I see are the cable (kind of cheap and is connected to both ear cups) and they don't collapse for transport.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 8
The 439 was/is my first over the ear headphones switching from iems so it took a little while to get used to so I might not be the most helpful but with the 439 i usually have to turn it up higher than normal to reach my preferred listening level but thats probably due to the velour pads. It was basslight to me but I consider myself a borderline basshead so thats something to note if you love bass. It doesnt leak at about 50% volume on my ipod, for me who used to have to turn up the volume past 50% to hear more bass also ended having people beside hear what i was listening to. They claim to be closed but due to the grills on the back, make them feel a but more open to me. As for mobile usage, they're fine for your requirements but for me I'm looking for a more portable heaphone (s500) and switch to using the 439 at home only.

All in all they're good headphones (note, my first full size phone) and after the bass mod, really damn good to me.

Disclaimer: I am a noob at describing headphones 
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The 439 was/is my first over the ear headphones switching from iems so it took a little while to get used to so I might not be the most helpful but with the 439 i usually have to turn it up higher than normal to reach my preferred listening level but thats probably due to the velour pads. It was basslight to me but I consider myself a borderline basshead so thats something to note if you love bass. It doesnt leak at about 50% volume on my ipod, for me who used to have to turn up the volume past 50% to hear more bass also ended having people beside hear what i was listening to. They claim to be closed but due to the grills on the back, make them feel a but more open to me. As for mobile usage, they're fine for your requirements but for me I'm looking for a more portable heaphone (s500) and switch to using the 439 at home only.

All in all they're good headphones (note, my first full size phone) and after the bass mod, really damn good to me.

Disclaimer: I am a noob at describing headphones 
redface.gif

Thanks for the reply.  I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 439's, but ended up getting the Aurvana's.  I've had them now a couple of days and am very happy.  Comfort and sound are both top notch.  Some say they are a bit on the bass heavy side.  I don't hear that at all.  I have a set of Superlux HD681's that I believe have more bass quantity as well as sub-bass extension.  Guess I'm somewhat of a basshead also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back