Any love for Senn HD202? (and mini-review)
Mar 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markanini

100+ Head-Fier
I re-visited these phones recently after looking for a pair of closed 'phones to hand out during tracking sessions that I'll be engineering. I say re-visited cause I owned a pair years back which unfortunately got stolen. Since then I've owned and auditioned a few nice phones so it's been interesting to hear these phones again with new ears as it were. Here's how they sound to me: A hump in the low-mid bass, slight honk in the mid-mids and rolled off treble save for a peak between 7-10kHz. None of these quirks manifest in any extreme way thankfully. Frankly I've auditioned closed phones 2-3 more expensive which were worse. Overall the presentation is fairly balanced with dark and dry leanings. Not a lot of "sound stage" or gut wrenching bass if that's what you're after. Most of the material I've auditioned to them with, ranging from classical, jazz, classic rock, modern rock is handled well with the exception being some densely produced modern rock which might come across as busy or incoherent. A thing I appreciate is that the lower-upper-mids are well defined which helps you hear the key and the chords in tracking situations. For pure listening it has the effect of making guitars and synths sound great. In a way the emotional impact is still there even if you didn't hear the drummer sneeze in the background like on Ety's. I've concluded they'll work fine for my purposes.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 6
I have owned the 202s. Absolutely brilliant headphones for the price. Totally beats my HD800 in value for money.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I don't think anybody should spend over a grand on headphones if they want 'value for money'. Diminishing returns.

Oh, I definitely think it was worth it for me to buy the HD800. I was just saying how if you want "value for money", the HD202 wins. It's not necessarily not worth it to buy the HD800 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back