Any last words...
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jordanross

100+ Head-Fier
I have been wrestling with the idea of getting a Little Dot MKIV se to go along with my CD5001 and my HD650's, for months now. This will be my first full sized amp and I'm a little worried. I finally asked David for the payment info and am going to complete it at 10pm PST. Any advice? Reassurance? Overall compassion for my wallet?
tongue.gif
But really any thing to say before I pull the triger, once and for all.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 16
The only thing you have to worry about from now is...how the heck did they get it from China to LA so quickly?!?

Seriously, good choice, you won't be disappointed.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your first, full-sized amp. And don't worry about the pre-purchase jitters; we all experience them from time to time. : )

Ohhh, it hurts... Why does something so good hurt so bad.
wink.gif

Just bought my Little Dot MKIV se at 9:50.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh, it hurts... Why does something so good hurt so bad.
wink.gif

Just bought my Little Dot MKIV se at 9:50.

Well done. I'm sure it will work out well for you.
If you don't like it...send it my way!

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4heckssake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done. I'm sure it will work out well for you.
If you don't like it...send it my way!

Hope I don't have to take you up on that offer.

But just in case...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 16
Ok, it will be sound jump just don't expect miracles.

The headphone out on the CD5001 is pretty decent and has no problems with even 200 ohm headphones. What it will likely give you some of the qualities that the CD5001 lacks on the headphone out. (for reference I do not own the Little Dot)
The headphone out on the CD5001 has a very closed in sound, lack of sparkle, depth to notes, resolution, and overall imaging. You can hear it, but you can't "feel" it (it is accurate though).

I have tried a few relatively cheap amps (and some not cheap at all! (k1000 system
evil_smiley.gif
) with the CD5001 and using an off board amp makes a difference with what was said above.
In my experience with some new amps is to just have them play through for a while and give time to get the caps charged before listening, even if it is just new to you.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 16
If it helps any, I much preferred my old LD MK IVse to a stock WA6.

Sadly, the resale value of them here are very low, but I doubt you'd ever think of selling it for a good long while, if ever.
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it helps any, I much preferred my old LD MK IVse to a stock WA6.

Curiously - with which phones? And are you talking about stock tubes?

I would imagine that the WA6 would be a better match for low impedance/current hungry phones (due to the 2 watt output) while OTL designs like the WA3 and LD MK IV tend to shine with high impedance phones.

If this theory is a bust though, please set me straight
smile_phones.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks all, for the reassurance, and kind words. I'm sure I'm gonna love the amp.

Now all I have to worry about is getting through the recommended 100-200 hour burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back