Any last thoughts before I hit the button?
Jan 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gdl357

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All.

I am about to hit the button on a pair of DT990 Pro/250 Ohm.

I have just sold my DT770 Pro/80 and although I found them to be great headphones, I needed top try domething a little briter, hence the DT990.

I LOVE the Beyer construction and feel so I am trying to stick to Beyer Headphones.

I would see myself buying an LD or DV Tube amp later on but for now, I will run them off my Harmon Kardon CD player.

I listen to Rock/Pop/R&B/Dance.

Is this a good move?

Thx

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, yes.

Hey MaZa, I have seen your posts in other DT990 threads. You seem to like them. People talk about this empty bass and abetter headphone would be the DX1000, but at double the price, I just can't.

I just don't understand how a semi clossed can like the DT 880 have less bass than the Fully Opened DT990?

Thx

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 7
My experience was with DT990 '05, its sonically bit different from older Pro. Some prefer Pro over '05, some '05 over Pro, but basically they are same and use same drivers so I can say its a good buy. My only gripe was bit shrill highs compared to the mids (where as DT880 is just perfect for me). Bass is slightly hollow in the deep regions, I agree, but its not bad. I liked its midbass actually and didnt find it bass heavy, just midrange handicapped. If you didnt find the mids on DT770 bothering, they wont dissapoint on DT990 either I believe (perhaps even find them improved)

The semiclosed design of DT880 just helps to block some sound leaking out, theoretically. Otherwise they are wide open. There are bass-light closed headphones too. Its the cup and dampening design with fitting drivers that define the nature of headphone. Generally completely closed can just has an edge on producing audible and strong deep bass because those frequencies are less likely to "vanish in thin air" but reflected back to your ears, but it can be bad too.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't understand how a semi clossed can like the DT 880 have less bass than the Fully Opened DT990?

im in the same situation, i want to upgrade my dt770 setup and i was wondering the same thing

edit: thanks maza, maybe ill just keep my 770s :x

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Seconded, MaZa pretty much hit every point that needed to be addressed. The 990 '05 is an excellent headphone for people who like the 770 but are looking for a more balanced sound (in relation to the 770s). There is a little less bass, and the highs are more prevalent. I've had both the '03 and '05 version, both recabled with Cardas and 250ohms. They were both quite close, the '05s highs seemed a little crisper but that was about it. Looks on the new one are a little nicer too imo.

In regards to your amp situation, I'd imagine that if your CD player out is like my CD player out, the bass would be boomy and the highs somewhat muffled, so I'd check out an amp as soon as you can
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 7
I can only find them on ebay through an authorized dealer at $240 US and $30 shipping.

Any Ideas who sells these in canada as Beyer is closed for the holidays so I can't call?

Why did they put a coiled cable on the DT990? Appart from that, it looks of worst quality that of the DT770's...

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back