Any Joy Division fans here?
Oct 11, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
I put them alongside Nick Cave and SWANS in term on intensity and grimness.

You should check out the Swans cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Yes, "Entertainment" is one of the best rock albums ever -- not just from that era. As much as I love it, I don't think the band had much to offer outside of it.

Mission of Burma also fits nicely in with Gang of Four......

After I got Entertainment I was at my local used CD store and stumbled across one of their 90's "reunion" albums, this one called "Shrinkwrapped". I was thinking of The Fall, and how The Fall still rocked in the 90's (IMO), so I was like, sweet! and bought it. Thats six bucks I'll never get back again. What total garbage.

But to be fair, their early stuff, collected on the Brief History of the 20th century album, is also amazing. They just peaked out after Entertainment. Ooh, Mission of Burma! The original college band, is what I like to call them, the pre-REM REM. So lets not also forget Wire, who rox my sox also.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Not to thread-jack, but I hope you've heard the new Yo La Tengo album.

Not yet, but probably will get it some time, even though I've already got tons of YLT. Lots of other good new stuff, though. Califone, Nina Nastasia, Howe Gelb, Carla Bozulich, Sparklehorse, Woven Hand, Black Heart Procession, TV on the Radio, Built To Spill, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Josh Ritter, Neko, and so on. Turning out to be a pretty good year for my kinda music. But isn't this thread about Joy Division, or something like that? Did I start this? Sorry for the detour
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #19 of 48
Well, Turn On the Bright Lights is one of my favorite albums ever, and I've heard them compared to Joy Division endlessly. And, I know love will tear us apart from Yeah Right!, so maybe I should look into this JD stuff. Buying an expensive box set right off the bat doesn't seem appealing, though.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Not yet, but probably will get it some time, even though I've already got tons of YLT. Lots of other good new stuff, though. Califone, Nina Nastasia, Howe Gelb, Carla Bozulich, Sparklehorse, Woven Hand, Black Heart Procession, TV on the Radio, Built To Spill, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Josh Ritter, Neko, and so on. Turning out to be a pretty good year for my kinda music. But isn't this thread about Joy Division, or something like that? Did I start this? Sorry for the detour
wink.gif

Sooo... um, not to hijack, but it seems like a good opportunity to ask: What's the best Yo La Tengo album to start with? About a year ago I checked "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" from the library, and it was so amazing, and so quiet
biggrin.gif
. A lot of their albums are inexpensive on amazon right now, recommend me 2-3 albums to get me started, if any of you fine people would be so kind. Thanks.

But to keep it on topic: Joy Division is an awesome band.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
Sooo... um, not to hijack, but it seems like a good opportunity to ask: What's the best Yo La Tengo album to start with?

Any album with "Blue Line Swinger" on it is gonna be the one I reach for most, so it's gotta be Electr-o-pura for me. But ...Heart Beating... is the real masterpiece.

Oct 12, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Be sure and get the Substance CD also, contains essential early tracks and EP material collected together, great CD!

Also I have the 4CD Heart and Soul collection which is for hardcore fans.

To prove my worthyness look at my system 1 photos........poster behind stereo rack is very cool Joy Division "love will tear us apart"

Yep, other than Closer, Substance is what I am hooked on now too, that "She's lost Control", "Tansmission" really are addictive. Eventually I will complet it all up in the Boxed set. For now I am getting Unknown Pleasures and Still as separate CDs...then the boxed set
lambda.gif

Aaaah that's a wicked lookin rig you have there. My rig is limited to what I can carry with me.....but at least they are in All Black schemes to suit the mood of the stuffs that I m listening through them.

guynamedjohn:
Yep, I am on the path of collecting SWANS now too. It would not be long to get all of them
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 48
Yeah they get much love from me. My favorites include Disorder, New Dawn Fades, Twenty Four Hours, Ceremony, Transmission, and The Eternal. Listening to them as I type on my new HD600s. I am all...
600smile.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
Sooo... um, not to hijack, but it seems like a good opportunity to ask: What's the best Yo La Tengo album to start with? About a year ago I checked "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out" from the library, and it was so amazing, and so quiet
biggrin.gif
. A lot of their albums are inexpensive on amazon right now, recommend me 2-3 albums to get me started, if any of you fine people would be so kind. Thanks.

But to keep it on topic: Joy Division is an awesome band.

I have all YLT's albums. I think the two best are "Painful" and "I Can Hear Two Hearts Beating As ONe".

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

I have all YLT's albums. I think the two best are "Painful" and "I Can Hear Two Hearts Beating As ONe".

You'd think such a big fan as yourself would at least know the name of the album he claims to be their best ...
3000smile.gif

B0000036X3.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61559468_.jpg

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
You'd think such a big fan as yourself would at least know the name of the album he claims to be their best ...
3000smile.gif

B0000036X3.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61559468_.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I'm wrong.
frown.gif

I like my title better, anyway.
evil_smiley.gif

The new one also has a title which is too long!

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 48
If you like Joy Division you'd probably like early Sisters of Mercy.

Like This

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 48
Oct 14, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
If you like Joy Division you'd probably like early Sisters of Mercy.

Like This

And of course the best SOM album is the collection of early EPs "some girls wander by mistake" a true goldmine of gothic rock.

The only hole in the SOM current catalog is the "sisterhood" album made after some members left to form Mission UK, too bad it was not included as bonus tracks on "slight case of overbombing" collection.

There is one Sisterhood track contained on "floodland" which is song "colors"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back